200% nozzle = great tow pig

CurtisF

Reaction score
Nice numbers Curtis. What tune was were towing in? I might have to consider upping my nozzles to 200%

I only run one tune right now. It makes around 300 hp or so. Feels pretty close to the same power as stock injectors with a decent hot tune. I had been slowly (and I do mean very slowly) tweaking this tune to make it very suitable for towing, daily driving, and emissions friendly as a baseline tune. From there I have been planning to hit the dyno and add more fuel, topping out at about 450 hp.

But things seem to always get in the way, so I haven't touched the tuning in close to a month now, and haven't opened up the pulsewidth past 1.75 ms. Which is why it's unfinished and no where close to being where I want it.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I know vanderchevy's turbo was on its way out when I got to drive his truck a couple weeks ago (thanks again!! :shocked:) - but even his 'stock' tune was pretty smokey with very much throttle (250/200's). He did say he towed HEAVY though and had no EGT issues.

My X will get studs, springs, etc this winter along with new sticks and a bigger charger.

Patrick, I am very interested in DD and tow tunes 'without a drop of smoke' for 250/200's. What turbo(s) do y'all recommend for these injectors?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
This has certainly swayed me into getting these, I really wish I would have just got them the first time but I was trying to be conservative bill told me I would be happy with em I should have listened...... Hopefully by winter I will have a set in my truck

woodduck97

Reaction score
Now is the egt's staying in check because of the small turbo being able to spool easily and flow the right amount of air accordingly at this RPM? Let say he was running a 71/74 would these egt's still stay in check and not smoke?

Charles

Reaction score
The only people that won't be able to tow the chassis right out from under the truck sub 1200 degrees when running 200% nozzles are people with programs not suited for those nozzles.

Curtis has the ability to correct such issues himself, so he will obviously not have any problems with the 200's, or 300's or 400's in fact.

For his intended power point, the 200's are ideal. They are super efficient and clean. Depending on where he's at now, I would wager that if he pulled the ICP in a bit quicker he might not even have a haze...

Granted the air was a bit different with my having another charger in with the 38R, but when I was running the 200's I had a program that I wrote that would not smoke. It would simply not smoke, yet would blow the tires off from a stab, was literally impossible to push past 1100 degrees and was in the 400hp range as best I could tell.

A properly tuned set of 200% EDM nozzles in a towing environment will see the complete and utter destruction of every last drivetrain component under the truck before you overheat a piston.

Same for the 100% nozzle in my experience. The 200 will just do it a whole lot quicker, lol. Plus it's 600hp capable when you want it.

Best...... nozzle...... ever....

CurtisF

Reaction score
For his intended power point, the 200's are ideal. They are super efficient and clean. Depending on where he's at now, I would wager that if he pulled the ICP in a bit quicker he might not even have a haze...
Yep, my ICP currently ramps up a little slow. Once it's up, it's clean. But I have it too low right now for regular around town driving. It doesn't belch a lot of smoke, just hazes a bit until the ICP comes up. But that's my fault for not really messing much with the ICP map.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Now is the egt's staying in check because of the small turbo being able to spool easily and flow the right amount of air accordingly at this RPM? Let say he was running a 71/74 would these egt's still stay in check and not smoke?

If I were to throw away the 38R and replace it with something larger and slower to spool, at this altitude I would most likely have a much harder time with smoke, especially at lower RPM's. Once the turbo caught up, it wouldn't be a problem.

But I have no need for a larger turbo at this point. My goal never included maxing out the fueling from these injectors.

CurtisF

Reaction score
What housing are you running on the 38r?

Just the 1.0 that came with it. I doubt I'll switch to the 1.15, but who knows. When I finally crack these injectors open and add more fuel, that might change.

Charles

Reaction score
Ok then why not go with that nozzle? I'm going for 250/200s now...

With that logic, why not the 600?

And I would argue because the 600 is less efficient, and largely useless on any of these trucks.

But why ever go with smaller than 200's? Good question, lol.

The only reason I could justify would be a person wanting dead stock idle quality. I can't make them idle STOCK..... although I can have them idle very, very well. That's really the only part of the 200's I couldn't completely do away with. The minimum injection at say 500psi ICP is still a bit lofty with a 200. Let the engine get hot and the fuel burns quicker and the oil flows faster and they get a little ragged at idle. But nothing I honestly care about, as evidenced in the fact that I went from them to 300's then 400's.

But all in all, IMO and that of many others, the 200 is the best nozzle in terms of riding the fence between injection rate and injection quality. They are a DAMN good nozzle. Probably the most efficient a 7.3 Heui truck will ever be at any notable power level.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
With that logic, why not the 600?

And I would argue because the 600 is less efficient, and largely useless on any of these trucks.

But why ever go with smaller than 200's? Good question, lol.

The only reason I could justify would be a person wanting dead stock idle quality. I can't make them idle STOCK..... although I can have them idle very, very well. That's really the only part of the 200's I couldn't completely do away with. The minimum injection at say 500psi ICP is still a bit lofty with a 200. Let the engine get hot and the fuel burns quicker and the oil flows faster and they get a little ragged at idle. But nothing I honestly care about, as evidenced in the fact that I went from them to 300's then 400's.

But all in all, IMO and that of many others, the 200 is the best nozzle in terms of riding the fence between injection rate and injection quality. They are a DAMN good nozzle. Probably the most efficient a 7.3 Heui truck will ever be at any notable power level.

Charles that's what I'm saying. If I'm going to spend the same amount of money on smaller nozzles. Why not buy a size bigger and have them tuned down with room to grow? Obviously I'm not trying to throw a rod, so I figure 250/200s with a s366 would be a decent street combo tuned down. Considering I don't tow anything anymore, I'm at sea level, I'm 2wd. All I need/ want is fun driveable hp. I used to drive a 383 with 11/1 comp, solid roller motor on pizza deliveries. With a 300 shot in my old 95 Chevy 1500. I want that dd power back. But I also want reliability.

Charles

Reaction score
Charles that's what I'm saying. If I'm going to spend the same amount of money on smaller nozzles. Why not buy a size bigger and have them tuned down with room to grow? Obviously I'm not trying to throw a rod, so I figure 250/200s with a s366 would be a decent street combo tuned down. Considering I don't tow anything anymore, I'm at sea level, I'm 2wd. All I need/ want is fun driveable hp. I used to drive a 383 with 11/1 comp, solid roller motor on pizza deliveries. With a 300 shot in my old 95 Chevy 1500. I want that dd power back. But I also want reliability.

A well tuned 7.3 with 200% nozzles will make a helluva lot more power than that..... before you sprayed the chebbie of course, lol. After that, the sky was the limit with a wet shot.

:D

The setup I ran for the last 2 or 3 years was making ~750 crank horsepower on fuel every day. The 200's were making ~700 crank on fuel before that.

Not gonna do that on many 383 stroker chebbies... and if you did, not for too long in a 7000lb truck unless you put together one insane bottom end. Besides, you've have to keep it revved to the moon to match the same pace and kill the rings out of it.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
A well tuned 7.3 with 200% nozzles will make a helluva lot more power than that..... before you sprayed the chebbie of course, lol. After that, the sky was the limit with a wet shot.

:D

The setup I ran for the last 2 or 3 years was making ~750 crank horsepower on fuel every day. The 200's were making ~700 on fuel before that.

Not gonna do that on many 383 stroker chebbies... and if you did, not for too long in a 7000lb truck.

Gotta remember it only weighed 4100 with me in it lmao. Im only looking to have 550 to the wheels all the time. Not 550 max tuned down. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.