compounds..

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Im fabbing up my own set of compounds on my 7.3 i have the secondary charger pretty well squared away with what i want to do and have made room for the primary, my question is what have you guys braced these big chargers off of? Ive looked here and psn and cant find anything that is giving me any ideas. Any pictures you guys could throw up or any ideas you have would be appreciated. I have removed the battery and all associated cables to the opposite side of the truck (drivers), the vacuum canister, windshield washer fluid, was considering moving the coolant bottle for some more room but don't know where i would head with it.. Any help or ideas please

JDub

Reaction score
We use a heavy schedule 40 pipe to built the intermediate from, that will help support some of the weight, then you can see the bracket that attaches to the A/C compressor, helps quite a bit as well. This system is also intercooled between stages and has external gates on both turbochargers.

main.php

main.php

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Thats pretty much the same thing im wanting to do, except i was kinda building on one like aggies setup that had the exhaust exiting around the shocks, where did you place the coolant bottle if you don't mind giving up the info?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
And just out of dumb curiosity what would be the price tag on the intermediate pipe, bracket, filter plumbing and the plumbing to go to the passenger side i/c? I have the wastegates already...

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Are you going with something thats bigger than a s400 frame turbo that won't fit sideways under the cowl to make things a little less complicated? You will have to most likely pull the engine to put a drain in the oil pan if you are going to be putting a turbo mounted lower than the valve covers (stock)

JDub

Reaction score
Thats pretty much the same thing im wanting to do, except i was kinda building on one like aggies setup that had the exhaust exiting around the shocks, where did you place the coolant bottle if you don't mind giving up the info?

Coolant resevoir is a stock bottle for the 94-97 trucks mounted on the drivers side of the engine bay.

And just out of dumb curiosity what would be the price tag on the intermediate pipe, bracket, filter plumbing and the plumbing to go to the passenger side i/c? I have the wastegates already...

We build all our kits per vehicle, so we wouldn't be able to build anything to ship to you...they would be specific for each application.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
My plan was to kinda do a variation on what JDub had posted above but send the exhaust out and around the shock where the splash guard would have to be cut out so basically come over the ac compressor with my intermediate use it as a brace with sched 40 stainless piping to help support it. Run my oil feed off the hpop reservoir, then send the oil return into the oil pan at the highest point.. I'd then send the exhaust at a z double 45 down and around the shock and straight past the passenger side manifold and to where the stock downpipe would enter. My plan was run the s480 for a little while as my atmo until i got some money saved up for a 91mm garrett unit from forced inductions thats why i wanted to set it up this way as all i would have to really change would be the inlet flange and exhaust flange when i went to change and maybe some minor oil plumbing. Thanks for the info guys any other suggestions or ideas would be great maybe something that i have said that isn't going to work out?

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
This was my old twin setup, it was in an obs truck but you could do the same with a sd. Rather simple but it worked awesome, and I didnt have to yank anything off to pull the valve covers and do injectors. I even did a hot re torque on my studs with the chargers in place.

Attachments

• 100_0065.jpg
    100_0065.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 100_0067.jpg
    100_0067.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
^ that is the similar placed setup i was trying to explain with words, but he did it in a few hundred less words with a picture

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
This was my old twin setup, it was in an obs truck but you could do the same with a sd. Rather simple but it worked awesome, and I didnt have to yank anything off to pull the valve covers and do injectors. I even did a hot re torque on my studs with the chargers in place.

Does that truck have a body lift?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I would thinks so thats a pretty big charger to stuff underneath a cowl but then again maybe not... I was considering that s4t you had as an atmosphere. Anyone know of any cheap places to pick up the fittings that im gonna need i think i figured it up at max to be 2 3" 90 and 2 3" 45, also im gonna need 5" exhaust fittings any ideas?

Charles

Reaction score
I used 1/2" plate to fully support the charger off the accessory bracket. I did not have AC beforehand, so I never tailored anything around having a compressor. But small changes could be made to accommodate one with the same basic layout. Aggie fabbed a similar setup and did in fact have an AC compressor in the mix.

I placed the charger like this:

2595277570082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

2450872050082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

This was the bracket:

2919032200082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

With the intermediate pipe in place:

2155375080082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

There was no gate on the first stage yet in that picture. It later dumped from the middle of that bend and fed back into the downpipe.

Downpipe routing:

2114506720082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

That wastegate was run into the intermediate pipe after the picture was taken. I was driving the truck every day and had to work on weekends and after work at nights, so it went together piece by piece.

I don't really have any pictures of it fully completed, but those show how I supported the first stage, which I think was what you were looking for options on.

Charles

Reaction score
I take it back, you can see the first stage gate in this picture with the GT55 turbine housing fitted:

2906808480082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

And with the 94mm, race-covered GT55 hanging on the same old original bracket:

2487173370082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
That looks pretty clean chucky... Did you ever get your injection pressure issues figured out? What would be your opinion on what im running which is a gt4094r with a .84 housing 46mm precision gate off the uppies to intermediate, then feeding a 1.23 91mm unit from forced inductions also gated with the same 46mm.. Unfortunately the 91mm has not been purchased so im just throwing a s480 in front of it to make it driveable for the time being:doh:

Charles

Reaction score
That looks pretty clean chucky... Did you ever get your injection pressure issues figured out? What would be your opinion on what im running which is a gt4094r with a .84 housing 46mm precision gate off the uppies to intermediate, then feeding a 1.23 91mm unit from forced inductions also gated with the same 46mm.. Unfortunately the 91mm has not been purchased so im just throwing a s480 in front of it to make it driveable for the time being:doh:

Sounds kick ass, but I would seriously consider more gate on the second stage. Especially with a relatively tight housing. I might even consider loosening the housing a bit but that's really something you have to play by ear anyway. With enough gate it wouldn't matter. Other than that, should make stupid power on fuel.

As for my truck, I completely gutted the cab... Nothing in it except the pedals right now. I plan to get an entire dash from another truck and swap the dash and the chassis harness. I found chewed wires on the chassis harness and little nests full of hair all in the dash and nibbled wires. I just have to start over on the wiring. I actually came within a day of buying an identical truck in MI for 8400 dollars bone stock and just swapping everything over, but couldn't stomach the rust.

If I can't get the cab to stop clicking relays, turning the dome light on and off and failing to consistently show the WTS and SES lights (truck still fires right up anyway) and can't get it to stop popping the fuses powering both the instrument cluster and the IVS, then there's zero sense in worrying about anything going on with the engine, as it all may be caused by faulty wiring in the chassis somewhere.

Speaking of which.... when it comes to compounds, make sure you leave allotment for wiring around all your components for heat dissipation, and I would not recommend using any kind of wrap, as in my experience, the heat from the second stage onward toward the tailpipe is minimal. Plus the wrap really increases the part temperature, which isn't helping the part last. Corrosion is another downside to wrap. I actually bought a bunch of different types of wrap and shielding material and never ended up using it because nothing was getting too hot. Years later and nothing ever melted except a small spot on the heater box where the turbine actually contacts when the engine torques over hard on a shift.

Last edited:

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines that .84 was a fuzz to tight for it ill just have to see what bp i get when it all goes together, couldn't beat the price on it brand new for 1200$. I thought about just using some of the stuff that is on our firewalls or similar to at least do the top of the hood and maybe just a heat shield around the areas that were in close proximity to the intermediate pipe, Id think that would be the only serious concentration of heat.

That sucks that your having wiring issues you didn't even get to fiddle with the 55 for too long before everything went haywire. Are you running 400/400's still and are you on a stock bottom end or did you have a motor built up to handle those?

Charles

Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines that .84 was a fuzz to tight for it ill just have to see what bp i get when it all goes together, couldn't beat the price on it brand new for 1200$. I thought about just using some of the stuff that is on our firewalls or similar to at least do the top of the hood and maybe just a heat shield around the areas that were in close proximity to the intermediate pipe, Id think that would be the only serious concentration of heat.

That sucks that your having wiring issues you didn't even get to fiddle with the 55 for too long before everything went haywire. Are you running 400/400's still and are you on a stock bottom end or did you have a motor built up to handle those?

I think you'll be surprised at how much heat you do not get off that intermediate pipe. Remember that the turbine in the second stage pulls a lot of energy out of that gas. The temp drop across that turbine at high flows can be on the order of 500+ degrees. If you were 1600 in the manifolds then you might be 1000 to 1100 or so in the intermediate. After the first stage turbine, maybe only 7 to 800 degrees exhaust temp. The radiant heat leaving the piping at that point isn't going to hurt anything.

As for mine, it was screwed before I ever swapped the 55 in place. Even at 100+hp down the turbine in the 55 still picked up an honest 89rwhp over the turbine in the 47.

And I've been running an engine that Swamps put together for me for a number of years now. So far all I've really managed to do is puke the Cometics at over 90lbs of boost one time. Swapped to Firerings and freshened up the main bearings (reused the rod bearings) and it's still good to go thus far.

Last edited:

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
What are you running for a charger now still compounds or did you go back to a single charger?

No I added another and went with triples. My two atsmophere chargers out flow what the single t18 would have flowed but they light easy. Also I have yet to "fall under" the chargers.

Last edited: