Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
Here it is...axle code "47" in the left column.

948be34e747218b69b27e2c5a149194b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walt_M

Reaction score
This is what I've done both times. Same result of a fail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Clean the tab with acetone (nail polish remover from dollar store) then reapply glue.
Works on my knives to clean finger prints and sanding oil prior to assembly and or etch.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, back to my fueling issue...

Drove it yesterday, and now while sitting at a light in gear, it'll gradually get a choppy idle, start smelling rich, and rpms will slowly get lower, but it's never actually stalled. Talking like from 650 down to about 500. If I kick it up into neutral and take the load off, it immediately smooths out. Smooth idle, no stench of fuel. I'm going to get vacuum line this weekend and run all new everywhere, just to try and rule out a leak. I did notice a weird sound when I flat footed it. It downshifted of course, then shifted back into high gear at about 4000rpms, and I heard a sort of "phsssst" sound under the dash, passengers side. Almost like you'd hear from a POV, but not that loud obviously. I know there are vacuum lines under there for flaps/vents and such. Might bypass the line coming into the cab to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak under the dash somewhere.

Need to replace the vacuum line going to the valve/modulator on the trans too.

Side positive note....this ole girl comes alive at about 3500rpms! Was pulling hard at 4k when it upshifted and I lifted because of speed.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok, back to my fueling issue...

Drove it yesterday, and now while sitting at a light in gear, it'll gradually get a choppy idle, start smelling rich, and rpms will slowly get lower, but it's never actually stalled. Talking like from 650 down to about 500. If I kick it up into neutral and take the load off, it immediately smooths out. Smooth idle, no stench of fuel. I'm going to get vacuum line this weekend and run all new everywhere, just to try and rule out a leak. I did notice a weird sound when I flat footed it. It downshifted of course, then shifted back into high gear at about 4000rpms, and I heard a sort of "phsssst" sound under the dash, passengers side. Almost like you'd hear from a POV, but not that loud obviously. I know there are vacuum lines under there for flaps/vents and such. Might bypass the line coming into the cab to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak under the dash somewhere.

Need to replace the vacuum line going to the valve/modulator on the trans too.

Side positive note....this ole girl comes alive at about 3500rpms! Was pulling hard at 4k when it upshifted and I lifted because of speed.

that is messed up.. im guessing your floats are to high.. or you have a seal gone and it is puching fuel through. did you ever chamge the jets?

is it electric choke?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I haven't changed them yet. Stay too busy this time of year to do much.

Floats are set in the middle of the sight glass, which is where Holley/Summit says they should be.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Floats are set in the middle of the sight glass, which is where Holley/Summit says they should be.

hmmm, i was always told that gas should just barely spill out of the site plugs. but im guessing that would mean the floats are higher then the sight glass.. i wonder if your choke is closing some and flooding it out.. try wiring it open and see if that does anything... literally haveing that issue now on a buddies boat with a merc/gmc 305..

rusty1161

Reaction score

I'm going to throw out the ethanol gas topic again, on the off chance it helps you out. This article speaks to lowering the floats more than with traditional gas.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Ethanoluse.htm

I truly hope you find a solution soon and enjoy that clean truck!

Rusty

6speedsd

Reaction score
I get that, but right below where it tells what adjustments to make, it states "failure to make these adjustments will cause a lean condition ". I've never experienced a lean condition. My issues are all being too rich.

6speedsd

Reaction score
hmmm, i was always told that gas should just barely spill out of the site plugs. but im guessing that would mean the floats are higher then the sight glass.. i wonder if your choke is closing some and flooding it out.. try wiring it open and see if that does anything... literally haveing that issue now on a buddies boat with a merc/gmc 305..

worth a shot. Not like it takes long to try that. I've have the choke set almost off now as it is. I still don't know why I didn't go manual choke.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Zip tied the choke open last weekend. Drove it 3 days this week, and I swear I made every traffic light on my route. LOL. I didn't have to sit at one any of the 3 days. So, I can't say for sure what results there were. Temps were ridiculous end of the week, so I haven't driven it since Wednesday. 110ish heat index and no AC....yeah it stayed parked.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Zip tied the choke open last weekend. Drove it 3 days this week, and I swear I made every traffic light on my route. LOL. I didn't have to sit at one any of the 3 days. So, I can't say for sure what results there were. Temps were ridiculous end of the week, so I haven't driven it since Wednesday. 110ish heat index and no AC....yeah it stayed parked.

lol. same luck I would have.. when it starts stumbling at lights does it kill itself? does it crank hard on restart when hot or spin right over?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Never bad enough to kill itself. Never gotten a slow crank or anything of that nature. When I stop for gas, it fires up as soon as you hit the key. Same with when cold. Once it's sat for a bit (like an hour), it'll roll over several times before it fires, and smells fat. I'm seriously wondering if I'm getting some seepage past the seats.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Seem to be.

I need to see what kind of warranty Summit has on their carbs. That one hasn't really been "right" since new.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Been doing some reading on random things, and I think I'm going to play with timing some. I'm something like 10ish degrees initial right now, and a lot of things I've read say these 5.0's like 16 or so. Might come up and see what happens. Can't hurt right!

6speedsd

Reaction score
So apparently I had too many beers last time I set timing. I was at like 9 deg at idle. Bumped it up to 16....let's just say whatever I read was right. This tank needed that all along. Hesitation is gone, much more responsive, and it will actually blow a tire off now with ease....yes tire singular...one wheel peel. Turn on a road and hammer on it and it breaks loose immediately, which I could barely get it to do on wet roads before. Drove it hard for a few miles...never heard any pinging and I'm running 87 octane.