Bought a 6.4 coming from a 6.0

johnp115

Reaction score
Bought this truck recently.. It was previously owned by devdiesel.

2wdx7io.jpg

Engine mods go as listed...
(20K ago) starting Ford short block, engine is equipped with:
- Elite H11 head studs
- Elite stage 1.5 valvesprings
- Elite chromoly pushrods
- ported intake manifold
- ported 6.0l exhaust manifolds to custom stainless uppipes and Tial wastegate
- Batmowheel in low pressure turbo
- brand new High pressure fuel pump
- Air dog II fuel pump with fuel sump
-H&S tuner with Gearhead custom tunes
- 4 inch to 5 inch turbo back exhaust
- upgraded intercooler pipe
- GOGO direct solenoid in transmission
- Tru-trac rear diff upgrade 2000km ago
Afe intake.. (ill get a no limit eventually),and CCV

So far it has been a whole different ball game. I am really liking the responsive power these trucks have. I do miss the loudness of the 6.0, this truck is pretty quiet.. maybe its something ill come to appreciate.The truck has a 4-5 inch exhaust so i don't see how else i could tone it up a little bit.

The next things that will be going on the truck once i get some money back will be a
built trans
maybe 30% nozzles
and an 71 atmo turbo.
Before i went with those three things does there look like there is anything crucial or necessary to do before i go with those?
I see alot of people go with dual fuelers, twin k-16's... i would like to stay away from that so i wouldn't go any bigger than 30% nozzles.

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score
Well if your not into the smoke thing wouldn't a muffler make it sound louder MABY. Also should clear up some smoke.
I also came from a 6.0 love and miss the sound of it im about to get a 7" stack hopefully that will wake it up!
Truck looks good to!

Sent from a little green goblin under a bridge.

johnp115

Reaction score
Thanks man. And no the one thing I hated about my 6.0 was it chugged like a train. This truck with all the air flow upgrades and matts tuning doesn't smoke at all. Only a little puff right when you stomp on it, but that's all. It runs really cool. Cruises 70-80mph at 500ish egt.
And I took the flares off today. Looks a lot cleaner. I'm gonna put the stock flares on.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a muffler isn't going to make it any louder... you're never going to get that 6.0 sound out of a 6.4 unless you go to a single turbo which is arguably a step backwards depending on what you're wanting out of it

Poglife

Reaction score
Put a single turbo on it and it will sound like your old 6.0. But for me I wouldn't go bigger nozzles without dual pumps, you will drop rail pressure and your stock pump will fail prematurely. Although I have seen some guy start to try 15% nozzles with the stock pump which is the smallest I believe and am curious to see their result with rp.
I really like the look of the new truck! And your old truck lol you got good taste

B585Ford

Reaction score
Agree with Drunk and Poglife. You will have decide if a single is what you want...for me and how I use my truck, I will accept the quietness and stick with compounds. You will definitely hear different opinions on nozzle size with dual fuelers. That being said, I agree with Poglife, you won't maintain RP with a full PW tune (2.2-2.3 PW) with 30% nozzles. I have heard of only 1 truck that said he maintained RP with 30% on a race tune and 1 stock HPFP, but his HPFP did start having issues pretty early. It is unlikely you will maintain RP even with 15% on race tune, especially for very long. As I was saying earlier, some guys advocate running bigger nozzles and cutting the PW so you can maintain RP. JD did some testing with 1 stock HPFP and he lost HP up top. IIRC that was only with 65 HP nozzles (roughly 15% nozzles). That being said, my truck is under the knife right now and will be getting 15% nozzles with a stock HPFP. I may lose a little up top but I am hoping with enough fine tuning, I will at least break even up top, but my main reason for changing to 15% was because I am going to a 76 and I have a handshaker so spool up is critical to me. IMO you should definitely do at least a 71 atmo (if not a 72,73,75, or 76 depending on your goals). The drop in atmo will give you a way more than any nozzle upgrade and personally, I am not a fan of batmos.
FYI I will be running an A-1000 and deleting the fuel bowl which I am hoping will help with the nozzles. That being said, I do eventually plan on going to dual fuelers when I can afford tear down the engine and do pistons. If I wasn't going to add fuel in the future, I am not sure I would have even tried the 15% nozzles.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Bought this truck recently.. It was previously owned by devdiesel.

2wdx7io.jpg

Engine mods go as listed...
(20K ago) starting Ford short block, engine is equipped with:
- Elite H11 head studs
- Elite stage 1.5 valvesprings
- Elite chromoly pushrods
- ported intake manifold
- ported 6.0l exhaust manifolds to custom stainless uppipes and Tial wastegate
- Batmowheel in low pressure turbo
- brand new High pressure fuel pump
- Air dog II fuel pump with fuel sump
-H&S tuner with Gearhead custom tunes
- 4 inch to 5 inch turbo back exhaust
- upgraded intercooler pipe
- GOGO direct solenoid in transmission
- Tru-trac rear diff upgrade 2000km ago
Afe intake.. (ill get a no limit eventually),and CCV

So far it has been a whole different ball game. I am really liking the responsive power these trucks have. I do miss the loudness of the 6.0, this truck is pretty quiet.. maybe its something ill come to appreciate.The truck has a 4-5 inch exhaust so i don't see how else i could tone it up a little bit.

The next things that will be going on the truck once i get some money back will be a
built trans
maybe 30% nozzles
and an 71 atmo turbo.
Before i went with those three things does there look like there is anything crucial or necessary to do before i go with those?
I see alot of people go with dual fuelers, twin k-16's... i would like to stay away from that so i wouldn't go any bigger than 30% nozzles.

Do you have any videos of you driving the truck? I want to know if there is any difference in the exhaust note with the 6.0 manifolds on a truck with stock turbos.

RedRice589

Reaction score
That's a damn nice truck! Glad somebody on here bought it! Just keep factory nozzles and upgrade to a 71, 72, or 76 and have fun with it. Be a strong 600-650 hp depending on elevation!

johnp115

Reaction score
Agree with Drunk and Poglife. You will have decide if a single is what you want...for me and how I use my truck, I will accept the quietness and stick with compounds. You will definitely hear different opinions on nozzle size with dual fuelers. That being said, I agree with Poglife, you won't maintain RP with a full PW tune (2.2-2.3 PW) with 30% nozzles. I have heard of only 1 truck that said he maintained RP with 30% on a race tune and 1 stock HPFP, but his HPFP did start having issues pretty early. It is unlikely you will maintain RP even with 15% on race tune, especially for very long. As I was saying earlier, some guys advocate running bigger nozzles and cutting the PW so you can maintain RP. JD did some testing with 1 stock HPFP and he lost HP up top. IIRC that was only with 65 HP nozzles (roughly 15% nozzles). That being said, my truck is under the knife right now and will be getting 15% nozzles with a stock HPFP. I may lose a little up top but I am hoping with enough fine tuning, I will at least break even up top, but my main reason for changing to 15% was because I am going to a 76 and I have a handshaker so spool up is critical to me. IMO you should definitely do at least a 71 atmo (if not a 72,73,75, or 76 depending on your goals). The drop in atmo will give you a way more than any nozzle upgrade and personally, I am not a fan of batmos.
FYI I will be running an A-1000 and deleting the fuel bowl which I am hoping will help with the nozzles. That being said, I do eventually plan on going to dual fuelers when I can afford tear down the engine and do pistons. If I wasn't going to add fuel in the future, I am not sure I would have even tried the 15% nozzles.

You do have a good point. I've read all this kinda scattered around the forum and then reading it all together in your comment makes it pretty clear to me. I would be pretty interested to see how your results are with the 15% nozzles. I wasn't too sure if they had those but I'll have to keep up with your progress. I'll definitely have to go with a71-72 atmo and just let it be.

johnp115

Reaction score
a muffler isn't going to make it any louder... you're never going to get that 6.0 sound out of a 6.4 unless you go to a single turbo which is arguably a step backwards depending on what you're wanting out of it

Hopefully it's something I'll learn to like. Coming from my loud ass 6.0 it felt alt faster than it was cause that thing was loud. This truck is pretty quiet to where you forget the power it's making. If that makes sense.

devdiesel

Reaction score
Glad your liking it John! Just slap a 76mm on their when you can and enjoy, that's what I had planned... Just stay away from slick roads and guardrails....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

johnp115

Reaction score
That's a damn nice truck! Glad somebody on here bought it! Just keep factory nozzles and upgrade to a 71, 72, or 76 and have fun with it. Be a strong 600-650 hp depending on elevation!

Thank you! It was definitely a good pick up. That's looking like what my path will be.

Do you have any videos of you driving the truck? I want to know if there is any difference in the exhaust note with the 6.0 manifolds on a truck with stock turbos.

As b585 said I don't really notice a sound change. I can take a vid but I don't think any sound will be picked up. I actually feel like this truck is quieter than other 6.4s I've heard.

johnp115

Reaction score
Glad your liking it John! Just slap a 76mm on their when you can and enjoy, that's what I had planned... Just stay away from slick roads and guardrails....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Sure am! Yeah first of all I'm gonna enjoy it for a while like this. But I definitely wanted to put it out here and get some ideas running. Smartest thing would be to leave it be for awhile.
And on the guard rail note....LOL I've been more cautious now

Latest posts

Members online