Bought a 6.4 coming from a 6.0

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Tow power X. That video doesn't really do justice but you get the idea.
Heres the same setup but from outside the truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXdZpSGZ1U

Man oh man you got some insane turbo whistle there LOL what else you got on your truck?

Whoops quoted the wrong post LOL

EDIT 2 here's the right post

QUOTE=powerstroked08;917312]http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/g...p4.html?&_suid=139268325936006961451923952273
Heres some 6.4 whistle for ya. It does[n't sound like it here but it sounds better than my straight piped 6.0 did.[/QUOTE]

sootie

Reaction score
to the OP...you have an awesome base to start from. Throw a 73mm atmo charger on there from James @ Barder and call it good. anything bigger than the 73mm is a bit wasted unless you upsize the HP turbo also. i love the colours of your truck, very unique.

Your trans may start to hate life after that just fyi...

johnp115

Reaction score
:morons:
to the OP...you have an awesome base to start from. Throw a 73mm atmo charger on there from James @ Barder and call it good. anything bigger than the 73mm is a bit wasted unless you upsize the HP turbo also. i love the colours of your truck, very unique.

Your trans may start to hate life after that just fyi...

Thank you. That's the question I was getting at, was if everythig else is in place for a larger atmo. And yeah I also am going to have to either do a trans first, or shortly after a new atmo is what I was thinking. I'm just not sure with what brand of trans to go with.

And I agree with you on the looks, once I throw some offset rims on I'll be extremely happy.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
:morons:

Thank you. That's the question I was getting at, was if everythig else is in place for a larger atmo. And yeah I also am going to have to either do a trans first, or shortly after a new atmo is what I was thinking. I'm just not sure with what brand of trans to go with.

And I agree with you on the looks, once I throw some offset rims on I'll be extremely happy.

Really the best bang for the buck is just getting a 71-73mm atmo and calling it good(that was my plan and you see how that worked out!). Although I would reccomend getting a ported intake to get more air to the back cylanders to cool egts plus make more power!

johnp115

Reaction score
Really the best bang for the buck is just getting a 71-73mm atmo and calling it good(that was my plan and you see how that worked out!). Although I would reccomend getting a ported intake to get more air to the back cylanders to cool egts plus make more power!

Its got a ported intake already!

Yeah ill definitely go that route, money permitting..
Do you have any recommendation/knowledge of whats the best way to go with a trans?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Great, the ported intakes I think are a must. And as far as a trans I know elite makes some killer ones. And if I remember correctly Steve from absolute performance(powerstroke 162) has one for sale. Maybe hit him up. I think if you get a dpc converter with a billet input and some better clutches like gpz you would be fine. But I would ask Steve if he has his for sale still.

johnp115

Reaction score
Great, the ported intakes I think are a must. And as far as a trans I know elite makes some killer ones. And if I remember correctly Steve from absolute performance(powerstroke 162) has one for sale. Maybe hit him up. I think if you get a dpc converter with a billet input and some better clutches like gpz you would be fine. But I would ask Steve if he has his for sale still.

Thank you for the input.

sootie

Reaction score
Its got a ported intake already!

Yeah ill definitely go that route, money permitting..
Do you have any recommendation/knowledge of whats the best way to go with a trans?

Hit up Morgan @ Midwest diesel. he is Sledpull on here. he can build you a trans in house to any spec you want....and besides he is an awesome dude with top notch customer service/support.

johnp115

Reaction score
Yeah ill just have to wait around and either catch a good deal or save up some money first. By no means do i dog this truck, but i have gotten on it a couple times, gotta have some fun ya know. and I'm going to either dyno it or make a pass at rudys... How cautious should i be with this setup and stock trans? from what i hear gear heads tuning pretty good at making a trans last.

johnp115

Reaction score
And What exactly is the filter minder?
Sorry thats probably the dumbest question i have ever asked on here..
But i just don't see what on my intake that my atmo would be sucking in and causing a loss of performance meaning i need to get a no limit intake.

I searched it up and see that its possibly the stupid red, yellow and black sensor? i have a hard time believing that.. i drove around with that thing broken on my 6.0, i just jammed it all together so it didn't throw the check air filter code.

jb1nkj.jpg

160ybza.jpg

B585Ford

Reaction score
And What exactly is the filter minder?
Sorry thats probably the dumbest question i have ever asked on here..
But i just don't see what on my intake that my atmo would be sucking in and causing a loss of performance meaning i need to get a no limit intake.

I searched it up and see that its possibly the stupid red, yellow and black sensor? i have a hard time believing that.. i drove around with that thing broken on my 6.0, i just jammed it all together so it didn't throw the check air filter code.

jb1nkj.jpg

160ybza.jpg

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are asking.... In an all stock setup, as filter gets dirty, the vacuum created between the filter and atmo turbo becomes larger which triggers the filter minder. When you swap to bigger tunes, especially with a bigger turbo, you are flowing more air and a stock CAI can't keep up so you suck in the filter minder because that vacuum becomes larger due to the increased air the turbos are moving. Basically, the filter minder is telling you that your turbos are starving for air. If they are starving, you are losing HP and risking damaging your turbos. If you can't appreciate why you would need a No Limits, look at the testing done by Wayne. He had an aftermarket CAI (aFe St II IIRC) with dual fuelers and somewhere around the size of High Power turbos. By swapping the CAI, he gained almost 80 HP IIRC. Don't quote me on the exact numbers or setup, but point is....YES, the CAI can make a difference especially with once you start going larger than stock on turbos (flowing more air). The No Limits is worth the money IMO.

johnp115

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is exactly what you are asking.... In an all stock setup, as filter gets dirty, the vacuum created between the filter and atmo turbo becomes larger which triggers the filter minder. When you swap to bigger tunes, especially with a bigger turbo, you are flowing more air and a stock CAI can't keep up so you suck in the filter minder because that vacuum becomes larger due to the increased air the turbos are moving. Basically, the filter minder is telling you that your turbos are starving for air. If they are starving, you are losing HP and risking damaging your turbos. If you can't appreciate why you would need a No Limits, look at the testing done by Wayne. He had an aftermarket CAI (aFe St II IIRC) with dual fuelers and somewhere around the size of High Power turbos. By swapping the CAI, he gained almost 80 HP IIRC. Don't quote me on the exact numbers or setup, but point is....YES, the CAI can make a difference especially with once you start going larger than stock on turbos (flowing more air). The No Limits is worth the money IMO.

I'm not doubting the no limit intake. I just was confused by what people meant "sucking in the filter minder". I thought that the turbo was sucking something and collapsing it causing air flow to be restricted. The way you explained it, I was just not thinking it all the way through. I understand the concept now.
The minder sucking in is an indicator that not enough air is flowing through the filter to the turbo.

I thought that something was literally getting sucked together, collapsing, restricting the air flow LOL

devdiesel

Reaction score
hey John, thats why i took the lower portion of the AFE box off of that intake system. after the air upgrades it would suck the filter minder in when locked in overdrive, took the lower box off and it let the filter breath much better. the filter minder hasn't moved since unless its dirty (dry filter just blow it out).. My intention was to put a No Limit set up on it when the LP turbo got upgraded as the inlet diameter is different.
I agree that putting mikes system on would be better (and will be running on my new truck) but from what i could tell their isn't any harm running it as is.

johnp115

Reaction score
hey John, thats why i took the lower portion of the AFE box off of that intake system. after the air upgrades it would suck the filter minder in when locked in overdrive, took the lower box off and it let the filter breath much better. the filter minder hasn't moved since unless its dirty (dry filter just blow it out).. My intention was to put a No Limit set up on it when the LP turbo got upgraded as the inlet diameter is different.
I agree that putting mikes system on would be better (and will be running on my new truck) but from what i could tell their isn't any harm running it as is.

Yessir i was really confused about what the minder was and sucking in the minder meant. Ill keep that same plan also. Just alot to learn over again 6.4's are alot different.

Latest posts

Members online