S366 VS Full Force BASB Bell 300 series Turbo

nossliw

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a couple turbo questions for you.

I have a standard S366 I picked up a while back, nothing special done to it, just a baseline model. I have considered a billet wheel, but have never quite understood what all the stage 1/2/3 series turbo builds really consist of. What all they are doing to it to, to really make it worth the extra pennies? I have read a couple of threads using the BASB S300 Series Bell Turbos, specific for towing. They make this thing sound like the holy grail of 300 series turbos, especially for towing and EGT, low RPM spool, and some impressive volumetric flow #'s. It may still be 6-8 months off but I am planning to do a t4 mount, bellows, studs and springs/pushrods. My plan is either to drop the 366 in, or may consider going to the BASB Bell model if its cracked up to be as good as I have read. I want to do it once and do it right for what the truck will be used for. Not keep changing it over and over again. My only forseen future mods after this would be an e-fuel system and in a 100-150k, maybe some stage 2 sticks if the turbo agrees.

I currently have a very mild stage 1 injected, billet wheeled factory rebuilt turbo with an IC and water injection. I can not tow heavy in anything except a stock tune on the chip, it gets waaay too hot waay too fast if I’m not running water. I know my tuning is off and sure would like to get it live tuned one day once I’m done with the turbo swap, but it would be a waste of money at this point and something I’m just going to deal with and drive in the stock tune.

I wanted to ask you all what your opinions of pros and cons of certain setups that you have experienced, not “heard” were excellent. I felt I had read every thread about the s366 vs s4 series, vs H2E vs. D66 vs, 38R and so on. I made my decision on the 366 after my reading whether it right or wrong it’s what I thought was best for me. I simply want a turbo that will keep it cool and is towing friendly. This is not a hot rod truck, and primarily is for commuting or towing 12-16k on average for lengthy trips. My main concern are EGTs, towing in the mountains, and just being a towing/daily driving friendly turbo. For those below 5000 feet towing heavy from 8000 to 11000 feet is much different than flat land towing below 5000.

I have made up my mind on the 366 as of now, but am curious if the BASB Bell model is worth the $1350? Is it rebuildable? I guess after all my hoopla that is my question, with a mild stage 1 or 2 sticked truck with some bitchn’ tuning someday, would it worth ponying up the extra money and going with the BASB 3 series from Full Force over the 366? Is it worth 1350$ Why or why not?

That is all, thank for listening to my mind wondering… I’ll be asking more in the future regarding t4 mounts and measurements from those who have done it themselves, or those who feel Jakes kit is worth 1400, and why? I don't need IC pipes, or a down pipe, intake y or any of that. Just the t4 mount and plumbing, and bellowed up pipes. Thank for your time to hear me ramble on...

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Bell turbos are top secret and I have not had any luck with the t4i mount hfsb. It was laggy and egts were a little high even with 175/80's. I went with a S64.5 sxe and love it. Way way way better turbo imho

Swaan

Reaction score
Forget the s366 and forget the basb.

This is what you do,
Buy a s300sxe super core. It will be about $750.
A super core is the whole turbo but no exhaust housing.
You buy a 64.5 sxe supercore and use your .91 housing off your 366.
You will have the best turbo for your application and you can sell your 366. The 64.5 sxe will out perform the 366 in every aspect

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Forget the s366 and forget the basb.

This is what you do,
Buy a s300sxe super core. It will be about $750.
A super core is the whole turbo but no exhaust housing.
You buy a 64.5 sxe supercore and use your .91 housing off your 366.
You will have the best turbo for your application and you can sell your 366. The 64.5 sxe will out perform the 366 in every aspect

Great advice telling him to forget about the best turbo builder in the country.

Swaan

Reaction score
Just trying to save the guy some money and in the process get the same results with the sxe, if not better, then the Bell turbo.

Dude, I've had a bell LASB.,billet s366 and now I'm running this 364.5. All on the same engine.
So I don't think there is better advise to his question .

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I have a reason for my comments. After the money I spent on the bell turbos and poor results I think I can share my experience and help people save there money and spend it on a turbo that works.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I have a reason for my comments. After the money I spent on the bell turbos and poor results I think I can share my experience and help people save there money and spend it on a turbo that works.
Who'd you buy that bell turbo from? PM me if you don't want to say publicly. And can you give me the details on your setup and what bell turbo it was again?

Dflippin08

Reaction score
If I had it to do again, I'd buy the 467.7 I just bought off eBay to begin with. It was $1049 with free shipping. Appears to be plenty available. Search 178855 turbo o eBay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dflippin08

Reaction score
Ive been running the s366 with stock injectors. I really like it with them. But since you can't get a larger exhaust/turbine housing for it I was stuck needing to go with a waste gate or a 467.7. You can get alot of diff housings with the 467.7. I personally can't see spending the time n money on a waste gate. Should've went with the 400 platform out of the gate. More options and a better turbo. I would imagine with a .91 turbine housing the 467 would suit your needs. And leave you open to many upgrades.

Swaan

Reaction score
Ive been running the s366 with stock injectors. I really like it with them. But since you can't get a larger exhaust/turbine housing for it I was stuck needing to go with a waste gate or a 467.7. You can get alot of diff housings with the 467.7. I personally can't see spending the time n money on a waste gate. Should've went with the 400 platform out of the gate. More options and a better turbo. I would imagine with a .91 turbine housing the 467 would suit your needs. And leave you open to many upgrades.

Stuck needing a waste gate or 468 why?????

I'm I missing something here???
Cuz your not over spinning that 66 with stock sticks bud.
I mean geez what are you producing here 300 hp and 28 psi boost.