03' Ford 6.0l

Wamphyri

Reaction score
Well my ol beast Matilda just about left my wife at the side of the road last night, but she struggled knocked bagged and managed to get her home before dieing in the driveway. Now today she starts fine, takes one or two extra turns to get her going but the black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust, created a WWIII smoke cloud to hide the neighbors house down the road. Pretty sure NASA just reported a SOS cloud coming from my house. Anyways my FICM is a bit over a year old, but the last few months I was having major battery issues. Originally I thought I had a short some place and it was draining my batteries. Turned out that both my batteries gave up the go. So they where replaced and all was well till yesterday. I have read over time that dead batteries hurt ficm's, if thats true then I'll go waste my time and trouble shoot that. If not what else would cause a massive fuel dump to create the black smoke. (I let it run for about 5 minutes and it was still smoking black)

Wamphyri

Reaction score
Oh I should add oil is good, nice and black not milky and the anti freeze in the degrees bottle is still anti freeze and not milky sludge

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Black and not running sounds egr related. Try pulling it out and take a look see.

Wamphyri

Reaction score
It runs, idles itself up and everything (cold outside) not want to drive down the road with it tho since i live at the top of the hill, i'll never get back up lol

Wamphyri

Reaction score
In park, what i ment by rev up is the warm up cycle diesels do. never tried neutral

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you put your foot to the floor in park or neutral will it rev up and sit on the limiter or will it try to die or just not rev?

Wamphyri

Reaction score
ok, that will be in the daylight, i can smell raw fuel as well, not just a little but ALOT. if the egr is fine, how do you test injectors to find out if theres issues with them?

Wamphyri

Reaction score
something i should of asked, when i unplug the egr, what results should i be expecting?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check ficm voltage running, icp voltage key on engine off, egr valve position voltage key on engine off,

Unplugging yhe egr should make it run better in theory. But if it revs good, i would go drive it and see if its better. Could have been a piece of carbon stuck in the valve and hanging it open and it cleared out possibly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.