05 finally went BOOM

GreenMachine

Reaction score
First off, Thanks to everyone I had been talking to and getting prices from back around Christmas time. Initially I had around 4-5k put aside to order all of the parts needed to do my 05 the correct way. Steve had given me a price on a EGR delete, Big Stroker was helpful, as well as RCD. Needless to say I did not pull the trigger on all of my "wanted upgrades", because the truck was running great, and I also kinda sorta reallocated those funds. By reallocated I mean bought a new boat with my old man. But I'll save that for another thread.

Fast forward to two weeks ago......cruising on the highway at 65MPH, no hint of a problem, actually driving beautifully, all of the sudden truck begins dumping white smoke every time I let off of the throttle. I pull up to a stop light at the end of the highway, and as soon as the engine idles down it is pouring uncontrollable amounts of white smoke. I tried to give her a tap of the throttle to clear it up, and the truck starts to fall on its face, kinda like it dropped a injector or was missing.

At this point I was only maybe 2 miles from home, but it was so bad I pulled into a lot and had my cousin come scoop it on his flat bed.

I get it home and look in the exhaust tip, and it has a huge puddle of oil. Odd since the smoke smelled like pure coolant. This leads me to believe I also blew the turbo considering the amount of oil coming out of the exhaust.

I decided to do it once and all the way.

Called RCD and ordered their rebuild/bulletproof package.
What I ordered:
-ARP studs
-Factory gaskets
-RCD EGR delete
-SCT Livewire TS
-New oil cooler
-all new gaskets, turbo installation stuff etc.
-upgraded banjo bolts
-stc fittings
-blue spring kit

Finally I snagged a 05 turbo from a buddy that had one off of a low mile truck in great shape.

Parts should be in today, now I need to get the work done. I've gotten a quote from the local guy that i trust, and has done tons and tons for $2500 in labor. Seems steep to me?

I would do it myself but I don't have a lift and I don't have the time.

Regardless once the heads come off I will be having them decked and checked.

Any ideas on shops local in RI or close by? and what about price? I already dumped too much as it is in parts lol.

Thanks fellas.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I kinda thought it was high, but I want someone who knows what they're doing. Kinda wish I was closer to a lot of the sponsors from here.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
A headgasket job with studs for $2500 seems low/normal to me... in my area at least. If your friend has done the work before, and you trust him, I'd say that's a great deal. However, personally... I would have gone with an MTW Stage 1 turbo over another stocker.

Sorry to hear that it crapped out on you, but glad it wasn't hundreds of miles away from home. :)

weazel

Reaction score
$2500 is a good labor cost, I've done a few of them, I charge more than that, and everytime I feel like I cheated myself

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

GreenMachine

Reaction score
A headgasket job with studs for $2500 seems low/normal to me... in my area at least. If your friend has done the work before, and you trust him, I'd say that's a great deal. However, personally... I would have gone with an MTW Stage 1 turbo over another stocker.

Sorry to hear that it crapped out on you, but glad it wasn't hundreds of miles away from home. :)

Yeah, got lucky it was so close for sure lol.

I went with the stocker cause I snagged it for $300 off my buddy. Out of curiosity what's a MTW worth?

The guy that will do the job isn't a buddy, just a fried of a friend.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Are you positive it needs a turbo? It seems like a lot of times when an EGR cooler lets go or the headgaskets and you're getting a ton of coolant in the exhaust, it just cleans all the soot out of the exhaust and people mistake it for oil because of the color. I guess if you got another stocker for $300 it's not a huge deal.

I had the same thing happen to me once...

2.jpg

I actually started the truck twice after this and even drove it on to the trailer like this. When I got it trailered to the dealer, it had hydrolocked from coolant leaking into the cylinders. Good times.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Are you positive it needs a turbo? It seems like a lot of times when an EGR cooler lets go or the headgaskets and you're getting a ton of coolant in the exhaust, it just cleans all the soot out of the exhaust and people mistake it for oil because of the color. I guess if you got another stocker for $300 it's not a huge deal.

I had the same thing happen to me once...

2.jpg

I actually started the truck twice after this and even drove it on to the trailer like this. When I got it trailered to the dealer, it had hydrolocked from coolant leaking into the cylinders. Good times.

Pretty sure mine almost hydrolocked. When I restarted to test it at home it burped when it tried to start. Made some weird noises, then finally started.

I'm pretty sure it isn't soot and coolant mixed. It's really really oily. I figure I'll know once he strips it open. If all is good I'll be unloading that new stocker.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
At least the 7.3 you knew when chit was going south.

This truck it was a light switch. Perfect then dead.

Gotta love the six leaker.

I ended up going with RCD just for ease of ordering. I didn't want to be chasing parts. They hooked me up with everything one shot.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You can run it with stock injectors easy. It's basically a stock turbo with an LLY compressor wheel mounted in front (and the obvious machining done to the front housing for it to fit).

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Gotcha.

I have another guy that says he'll do it for $1800 locally. I'm going to give him a shout and see if he has a clue as to whats going on. Supposedly a ford tech

Latest posts

Members online