08 tranny pan filter install and gogo direct solenoid

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've never seen someone get ragged on so hard for simply correcting people.

It's not Kyle's fault the OP decided he couldn't handle the forum and felt the need to take the info down. If you want the P/N's maybe just PM the OP. No one asked him to take that stuff down, he did it on his own out of spite, which is just silly.

I've just sent an email to BTS inquiring about the shift patterns and the reasons for that, I will post whatever info I get back, if they are ok with that (don't see why they wouldn't be).

I'm sure some more internet searching can get the part numbers for the pieces you want.

Also just dug up this info from an old thread of mine on PSN, when I was asking about how dyno tunes shifted and how they worked...

5R110 shifts 1-2-3-5-6 with 6th being OD. I don't have the gear ratio's handy or I'd post them up. I'll see if I can get them for you. 4th is only used in extremely cold weather--something like 5 or 10* F. There's no real way to get totally accurate Dyno numbers without a dyno file because there's no way to keep it from shifting.

It's a six speed that usually uses five speeds. The ratios of fourth and fifth are too close to use both in any sequence of shifts. The trans will use fourth or fifth, but never both.

When the trans is colder than 0F it uses fourth, not fifth. The only reason for this is that the trans won't reliabily make a 3-5 shift when it's that cold, but due to the way the trans works a 3-4 is MUCH easier to make.

Also, at certain speeds where the truck is in sixth gear and moving too fast to kickdown to third gear when the dirver floors it, it will go to fourth gear instead of fifth gear. That give almost 10% more gearing for better acceleration. Without a scan tool to monitor commanded gear the driver would never know that it did this. From fourth gear the trans can go to sixth or third, depending on whether it speeds up or slows down. It can NEVER go from fourth to fifth.
The next question everyone has is, "Why did Ford design it to have six speeds and make two of them so close that one isn't useful?"

The answer is in the way the trans was designed. It's really two transmissions in one case. There is a two speed in the front of the trans. It has ratios of 1:1 and 0.71:1. The three speed in the rear has ratios of 3.09:1 (later models changed to 3.11:1,) 1.54:1, and 1:1. By shifting the front trans (usually called the overdrive unit) between it's two ratios you get two ratios for each of the rear transmission's three ratios.

1st: 1:1 times 3.09:1 = 3.09:1
2nd 0.71 times 3.09:1 = 2.2:1
3rd 1:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.54:1
4th 0.71:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.09:1
5th 1:1 times 1:1 = 1:1
6th .71:1 times 1:1 = .71:1

Mdub707

Reaction score
Found this on PSN.... thanks due to HeavyAssault...

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00408.png

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I think the info is out there that the 5R110 is in all actuality a 6 speed transmission. I was wrong when I made a sarcastic comment early on about my truck only having 5 gears. This thread has turned into a cluster *** of everybody raggin' everybody. All the useful info on the stated topic is now taken down, so how bout we get a moderator in here and just shut it down?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I just posted all of the part numbers again, so no, not all of the useful info is gone.

We all know the 5R has 6 forward gears, no one is questioning that. What the confusion is about, is which of these gears is used while driving, in relation to what tunes are being run. Some thing they use all 6 with certain tunes, other don't. I've emailed BTS so hopefully we will have an answer soon.

Goose

Reaction score
I guess I have to make a video. Every single time it goes through the gears it uses every one.

Read post below.

I've never seen someone get ragged on so hard for simply correcting people.

It's not Kyle's fault the OP decided he couldn't handle the forum and felt the need to take the info down. If you want the P/N's maybe just PM the OP. No one asked him to take that stuff down, he did it on his own out of spite, which is just silly.

I've just sent an email to BTS inquiring about the shift patterns and the reasons for that, I will post whatever info I get back, if they are ok with that (don't see why they wouldn't be).

I'm sure some more internet searching can get the part numbers for the pieces you want.

Also just dug up this info from an old thread of mine on PSN, when I was asking about how dyno tunes shifted and how they worked...

5R110 shifts 1-2-3-5-6 with 6th being OD. I don't have the gear ratio's handy or I'd post them up. I'll see if I can get them for you. 4th is only used in extremely cold weather--something like 5 or 10* F. There's no real way to get totally accurate Dyno numbers without a dyno file because there's no way to keep it from shifting.

It's a six speed that usually uses five speeds. The ratios of fourth and fifth are too close to use both in any sequence of shifts. The trans will use fourth or fifth, but never both.

When the trans is colder than 0F it uses fourth, not fifth. The only reason for this is that the trans won't reliabily make a 3-5 shift when it's that cold, but due to the way the trans works a 3-4 is MUCH easier to make.

Also, at certain speeds where the truck is in sixth gear and moving too fast to kickdown to third gear when the dirver floors it, it will go to fourth gear instead of fifth gear. That give almost 10% more gearing for better acceleration. Without a scan tool to monitor commanded gear the driver would never know that it did this. From fourth gear the trans can go to sixth or third, depending on whether it speeds up or slows down. It can NEVER go from fourth to fifth.
The next question everyone has is, "Why did Ford design it to have six speeds and make two of them so close that one isn't useful?"

The answer is in the way the trans was designed. It's really two transmissions in one case. There is a two speed in the front of the trans. It has ratios of 1:1 and 0.71:1. The three speed in the rear has ratios of 3.09:1 (later models changed to 3.11:1,) 1.54:1, and 1:1. By shifting the front trans (usually called the overdrive unit) between it's two ratios you get two ratios for each of the rear transmission's three ratios.

1st: 1:1 times 3.09:1 = 3.09:1
2nd 0.71 times 3.09:1 = 2.2:1
3rd 1:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.54:1
4th 0.71:1 times 1.54:1 = 1.09:1
5th 1:1 times 1:1 = 1:1
6th .71:1 times 1:1 = .71:1

If this is the post I am thinking of it was written by Ford'sTorque shift Engineer.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I can count six shifts as well, but I know the last "shift" is just the torque converter lock up. How does the extremely small difference in 4th and 5th make any difference in the cold. I'm in GA, so it doesn't get cold enough here for the truck to use forth.

SINNER

Reaction score
Convertor locking/unlocking can be more noticeable than the gear change. Use a good scanner such as a Snap on or a Ford NGS that can display the active gear and you will see that it uses 5 forward gears ONLY. EVER.

The cold weather strategy is just that, it applies the OD clutch to the 3rd gear set to provide a 1.09 4th without a extra gear change. Extreme cold weather causes the shifts to be sluggish therefore it allows the trans to warm slightly in it's first cycle. And 1 cycle is all any trans will likely ever see because it only comes into play at 5*f transmission fluid temp.

Most people also do not realize that there was a major redesign of the 5R110 in 2005 with so many changes I have heard that a 4R100 and a early 5R110 have more in common than the early and late 5R's do.

For more info on the trans check out the ATSG revice manual for the 5R. It is very well written and even has a clutch application chart that shows exactly what combinations of clutches it uses for each gear.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I think most of you thinking you have 6 gears in your tunes are just feeling your 4 shifts and the converter lockup... You can tell if it's the torque converter locking easily... keep your foot on the throttle at whatever position it's at, and just lightly tap the brake pedal with your left foot, it should unlock right away (it'll sound like a downshift if you think it's an upshift otherwise), unless of course you're running some sort of race tune with a converter lock. You can just run that and see if you feel 5 shifts.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
another good way to feel lock up is if you hit the throttle and the rpms jump up before the speedo does, then your unlocked, if you hit the throttle and the rpms pretty much stay the same, then slowely come up with speed, then its locked

I really cant believe most of you cant feel lock up, i can feel it in my wifes impalla

chappy

Reaction score
I can feel it. Feels like Matt has my srl+ tune not locking till the last gear. IDP felt like it locked in 3rd or 5th on the xtreme street. i can't remember. xtreme race felt like 2nd up it was locked but acted weird when it was cold 40 degrees or so out.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i know our tuning is different but alot of tuners go off mph for lock up, so on a 6.4 stock lock is 50mph, unless your full throttle the converter locks 50 mph every time, now on some of the other race tunes ect, same thing aplies but as soon as you go WOT the converter locks instantly... speaking of that the last time i used a race trans file it felt like a soft shift with late lock up honestly, might need to retry that

Latest posts

Members online