1953 F250 Powerstroke RatRod

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
fixed the glowplug harness and it still takes a lot of cranking so back to AE I go to figure out whats going on. working on the water pump now and picking away at some more wiring.

bluedge8

Reaction score
My truck starts fairly hard also and from the reading I've been doing it's either injectors or low compression. I have basically all new glow plugs, wiring and gpr.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have a diesel compression tester you could borrow, but I believe you need an adapter specific to the 7.3 which I have not built yet.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Once I get the water pump in, Ill be checking my voltage and ICP first. I think once its getting enough ICP its dropped too low for the injectors to fire. It always seems like the batteries are really low. 30 secs of cranking and they are pretty dead. I know the alternator isnt too great. only charges when its above high idle. and I'm thinking after 18 months of sitting around, the batteries might not be good. It really needs a good drive down the road to get any air out of the HP oil. We'll see what happens, compression wouldnt surprise me. It has 327k on it

bluedge8

Reaction score
When I start getting hard starting issues I usually throw in all 8 glow plugs, new uvch's, new relay and check the wiring between the relay and the valve cover. My white truck has never started well, but I haven't checked compression yet- I will be this spring- if it's low I may be looking for a motor, but if compression is good I'll be looking for injectors. My truck starts ok 35* and up. At 50* it will start without the glow plugs so I am hoping I don't have low compression. If you get a chance to put some miles on it maybe it'll get better. Let me know if you need any help.

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
My best guess on a hard start would be what bluedge8 said, either low compression or injectors. My bet would be on injectors. I would also throw another alternator on there. My truck had the same problem. Battery light was on sometimes but when I would pedal it, it would turn off. The alternator would put out 14 volts at the higher RPMs but wouldn't get the job done under like 2000.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
When I start getting hard starting issues I usually throw in all 8 glow plugs, new uvch's, new relay and check the wiring between the relay and the valve cover. My white truck has never started well, but I haven't checked compression yet- I will be this spring- if it's low I may be looking for a motor, but if compression is good I'll be looking for injectors. My truck starts ok 35* and up. At 50* it will start without the glow plugs so I am hoping I don't have low compression. If you get a chance to put some miles on it maybe it'll get better. Let me know if you need any help.

Sounds a lot like my 02 just a bit worse. We'll have to get that tester ready and make a day of it haha.

My GF is gone to drill this weekend so the water pump should get done and it should get out of the shop atleast. Then its time to work out all the bugs and do some more wiring (its all still hanging out of the dash)

njjeep

Reaction score
I got some core injectors if you want to send them out to be rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1457237306594.jpg
Did the water pump, finished the rear of the box with stake pockets and led tails. Also started wiring the cooling fans and headlights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Could be a bad boost leak. I dont have a gauge hooked up yet. it certainly doesnt pull like it could.

May 21st is the Rat Rod Magazine show in town (the mag was started in princeton of all places) so I have to work on the rest of the list by then

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Could be a bad boost leak. I dont have a gauge hooked up yet. it certainly doesnt pull like it could.

May 21st is the Rat Rod Magazine show in town (the mag was started in princeton of all places) so I have to work on the rest of the list by then
boost leak, compression, hpo, voltage.. all can cause smokyness..

whats voltage staying at now? what are you running for a hpop? did you ever check compression?

my dually was around 300lbs of compression at its worse but still started just fine. smoked a bit on startup but still never any issues starting.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
boost leak, compression, hpo, voltage.. all can cause smokyness..

whats voltage staying at now? what are you running for a hpop? did you ever check compression?

my dually was around 300lbs of compression at its worse but still started just fine. smoked a bit on startup but still never any issues starting.

voltage is showing ~14 while driving. the alternator is weak for sure and the batteries show all signs of being crap too so those are on the list.

hpop is a T500. its a little small but should still work fine. Future plans include twins of some sort

Havent checked compression yet but there is quite a bit of blowby of blowby coming out the CCV. I'll have to check it, Im curious how my 02 is as well.

I was thinking of selling my 02 and picking up something newer 08+ but decided against it so that money could go towards some stuff for the 53. I wouldnt mind a nice beefy shortblock....

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Got over to the shop tonight. Driver's side ic boot popped off so im pretty sure thats why it was so dang smokey in the vid. Gonna get some time in it this weekend it looks like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online