1995 7.3 4 X 4 5 speed

Rico

Reaction score
Bienvenido amigos,
I've owned my Powerstroke for a year or year and a half now not sure. I bought the truck bone stock in Montana. In the drive back from Montana to Cali I pulled up to Orielly's and replaced both the fuel and air filter. The were completely brown and nasty! Rats nest in the air box. Then I noticed there was only one battery. My first diesel, I didn't know. Anyways truck drove well. Since then I've rebuilt the turbo(WW2), ******d the EBPV, 3" downpipe, rebuilt fuel bowl, new fuel pump, swamps IDM, Tymar Intake, new Injector orings, new glow plugs and Relay, HPX line, new IPR,CPS,EOT pretty much all the sensors. I have a 6 pos chip coming soon. Stock HPOP. Anyhow my truck just flat out seems slow as mummy. I hear the turbo whine but nothing puts me back in my seat at all. I can't burn out in any gear!!! I've unplugged the map sensor and the truck doesn't seem to change much, maybe runs better. It's a new map sensor btw(motorcraft). My truck never blows smoke and I happy with that. White smoke when it's cold at startup. Should I be expecting more power? Burnout in first gear should be reasonable???
Long post. Thanks for reading. Cheers!

Rico

Reaction score
Yea I'm hoping so. Otherwise I was under the impression something is wrong with the truck. New injectors or something. Since its been colder here in San Diego my truck has had a hard time starting on top of the lack of power

79jasper

Reaction score
Could be weak batteries. Could be glowplugs. Could be bad oil.
You have to start diagnosing things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Rico

Reaction score
New batteries/alternator and glow plugs. It turns over great just doesn't want to fire up until the second round

79jasper

Reaction score
Yeah, but inside the contacts could be carboned up, not allowing full current through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Rico

Reaction score
Cool. I kept the old one. Will swap tomorrow. I do have dorman valve cover gaskets. I've been reading about their products lately

idshred

Reaction score
Anyhow my truck just flat out seems slow as mummy. I hear the turbo whine but nothing puts me back in my seat at all. I can't burn out in any gear!!!

You've got to remember that a stock obs is putting down ~180 rwhp if you're lucky..... you can't have very high expectations. They are flat out slow. You'll notice a difference with a ts chip but its not going to be anything thats going to put you back in your seat.

Rico

Reaction score
I hear ya. So any five speed is sluggish stock? My friend had a 96 and a 97 with auto tranny that had some good speed stock

idshred

Reaction score
my 5 speed is slow stock! haha. Really my pickup doesn't 'come to life' until 2k rpm. All I have for mods performance wise is a ts6 with the canned tunes. I guess its kind of subjective..... my dad owned 2 6.0s and now a 6.7 that were all at least tuned so my pickup feel incredibly slow compared to them, but I don't think anythings wrong with it, just need to fork over the cash for some injectors.

Rico

Reaction score
my 5 speed is slow stock! haha. Really my pickup doesn't 'come to life' until 2k rpm. All I have for mods performance wise is a ts6 with the canned tunes. I guess its kind of subjective..... my dad owned 2 6.0s and now a 6.7 that were all at least tuned so my pickup feel incredibly slow compared to them, but I don't think anythings wrong with it, just need to fork over the cash for some injectors.

Aye. That's good to hear I guess. I haven't met anyone else with a five speed in SD so I couldn't compare. So are you maxing out on the highway at 65-70?

superpsd

Reaction score
My 97 same 4x4 ZF5 was a turf down low but pulled once the engine was spun up it pulled good out on the highway. After the chip it was night and day. (PHP tunes)

Strokin572

Reaction score
Yup.... My 95 ZF5 is completely gutless too. Have an engine right now I'm building so it's actually fun to drive and will hopefully be able to beat my buddies and their Cummins trucks lol. I'd say it's probably running about how they all do. As for your cranking and not wanting to start I'd get some sort of scanner that you can monitor icp and everything like that.

Rico

Reaction score
I fixed the cranking issue with fuel additives and also tightening down the little nut on the IPR. But 2 month old fuel was the issue. I did install RiffRaff's oil crossover line and swamps Mod'd IDM. Trick idles like a champ. No more rocking in the cab. The IDM was a great improvement. Hopefully the TW 6 pos chip is arriving soon. I'm leaving for Fort Collins CO from San Diego tomorrow. Vroom vroom!

Rico

Reaction score
Installed 6 position chip today. Runs great. I still have a little flutter at idle but burned out in second gear with stock injectors. Slowly but surely this truck is transforming. :) also still no smoke out of the tail pipe when accelerating but I'm very happy with that since I live in SoCal. I am concerned that my injectors could be possibly weak? On colder starts(40-50degrees) the truck will blow a little white smoke out of he tail pipe for 3-5 seconds.

Latest posts

Members online