200% nozzle = great tow pig

woodduck97

Reaction score
It is under cruising situations. I think it maybe something in the injectors cause they sound a little funky when the truck is cold compared to others trucks I have heard.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Mine has a weird "buck" if I hold it around 35mph with the TC locked in 3rd gear. Almost feels like it surges but when you roll into it a little it's fine. Just weird, might be my tranny giving me the bird.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Mine has a weird "buck" if I hold it around 35mph with the TC locked in 3rd gear. Almost feels like it surges but when you roll into it a little it's fine. Just weird, might be my tranny giving me the bird.

no it is the truck alternating between 4-6 cylinders instead of all 8 because it doesn't need all of them firing to maintain speed a low loads.

woodduck97

Reaction score
no it is the truck alternating between 4-6 cylinders instead of all 8 because it doesn't need all of them firing to maintain speed a low loads.

I know you have told me this before Matt but my buddy who has 250/200's his barely does it. We tried all rpms on his and couldn't get it to do it like mine.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I know you have told me this before Matt but my buddy who has 250/200's his barely does it. We tried all rpms on his and couldn't get it to do it like mine.

the faster the injector flows, the more it will do it. So fuel side mods and other things that make the injectors better at WOT will make them overdeliver fuel at light throttle and thus shut off injectors randomly. You can get around this by dropping ICP but then you get haze all the time rolling down the road.

Charles

Reaction score
If your truck is "bucking" when cruising at extra light load, then you simply need to drop a couple hundred pounds of ICP or lower the MFD at the very start of pedal travel.

It is 100% a tuning refinement issue. Each truck responds just a hair different. But it is not inherent to a 200% nozzle. It's 99.99% of the time simply too much ICP at low pedal. Many people have ICP tables that call for upward of 1100psi as rpm climbs to ~1500 or so even when you're barely touching the pedal.... or not even touching it at all...

Wrong...

It needs to be ~5 to maaaaybe 700 or so when you're light on the pedal.... no MATTER what the rpm is...

And that little "quirk" will just magically never happen again. Unless of course the first cell for MFD is too high... then the second you touch the pedal each time it will jerk a little. Also a simple correction.

Each truck is different. Hell, each IDM I've run has been different in this area. If one is a bit stronger it will require less initial pw at minimum TPS than another, all else constant. Basically, my point is.... don't hang your tuner. Just get it fixed if it bothers you, because there's zero reason to have it if you don't like it. A 200% nozzle in no way dictates that the truck will behave "twitchy" or "jerky" if you will. Unless you tune it that way of course. It can be soft and spongy if you want. Wayyyy milder than stock. It's all in what you want. Simple keystrokes dictate all of this. Same for the 400% nozzles and all others. There's simply no way the nozzle can make the truck buck around unless the tuning dictates that it should.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
It is a delecate balance of exhaust haze and "twitch" when it comes low load fuel delivery. Some people can't stand to cruise down the road with the truck hazing. and it does if you drop the ICP enough to make a difference on an OBS truck with 4:10 gears and very little weight compared to a heavier truck.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
My truck had the bucking when i got these fuel side modded hybrids, i mean it got pretty bad in my old tunes going down the freeway.

Tony sent me some stuff that took care of it, no haze at cruise and no bucking. Truck runs great!

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
so, to all you guys that have those 200% nozzles. do any of you plow snow with them? can you plow snow with them? is my last hang up on nozzle size.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
so, to all you guys that have those 200% nozzles. do any of you plow snow with them? can you plow snow with them? is my last hang up on nozzle size.

I have 200% nozzles and this will be my first year plowing with them. I don't for see plowing snow with 200% nozzles being a problem

Charles

Reaction score
I think I might write a horrendously sh*tty program that calls for buttloads too much pw and way too little ICP and then flash it to a truck with stock nozzles.

Then I'll rave on and on about how HORRIBLE stock nozzles are for towing or smoke control, cold weather and everything else. How they just smoke alllllllll the time and run hot allllllll the time. I'll run the idle ICP way too high so it sits and shakes and romps at idle too. I'll make the initial pw and ICP when you touch the pedal way to high so it jerks and bucks driving down the road as well. I'll post videos of it smoking like a train trying to tow down the road while overheating and burning up all the fuel in the world.

Why? Just to make it that much more obvious that the tuning decides nearly everything being discussed in this thread.

Last edited:

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Are you anywhere close to a dyno for before and after tests???

Not this time of year, I passed on a few this summer due to not being finished yet. I should have just paid my damn $50 to a local dyno that was proven to be fairly spot on. But without my turbo/tranny upgrades I really can't beat on it too bad as it sits. Like the old mud bogger saying goes......"This is my daily driver, if I break it I'm ____"
But I would have no problem dynoing with a stock OBS IDM & a modded IDM if the chance presented itself.

I think I might write a horrendously sh*tty program that calls for buttloads too much pw and way too little ICP and then flash it to a truck with stock nozzles.

Then I'll rave on and on about how HORRIBLE stock nozzles are for towing or smoke control, cold weather and everything else. How they just smoke alllllllll the time and run hot allllllll the time. I'll run the idle ICP way too high so it sits and shakes and romps at idle too. I'll make the initial pw and ICP when you touch the pedal way to high so it jerks and bucks driving down the road as well. I'll post videos of it smoking like a train trying to tow down the road while overheating and burning up all the fuel in the world.

Why? Just to make it that much more obvious that the tuning decides nearly everything being discussed in this thread.

I always love reading your posts Charles. :thumbup:

TyCorr

Reaction score

I was waiting for this...

I appreciate your enthusiasm and wish you'd entertain the idea of doing some tuning. Seems like you could get people that want the bigger nozzles sans the perceived 'problems' with them on board to run 200%ers. Just a thought.

Reaction score
I have 375/200 that will easily make 650 with a single and stock heads.... Tuning is a key, but even without great tuning my truck is totally daily driveable

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.