200% or 100% nozzle

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yes you need some kind of balance tube to equalize the pressures. Use a cross over hose between the heads - or a line between the pumps. I also remove the check valves from the pumps.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Or maybe you could see that over all the years people have found that mixing a 15* & a 17* pump yielded the best results over dual 15s or dual 17s. But then again what would any of the old boys that have tried all the different setups know......

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes you need some kind of balance tube to equalize the pressures. Use a cross over hose between the heads - or a line between the pumps. I also remove the check valves from the pumps.

Is the check valves the springs with a plate that are right under the fittings the oil comes out of from the HPOP?

I sold my cross over line. I guess I should not have!!

907DAVE

Reaction score
Allows flow in both directions, basically let's everything balance.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Look at it this way - right now in stock form you have one pump. Only one injector ever fires at one time. In your setup you have two pumps - one plumbed to each head - and no provisions for balance (so you truly don't even know what the pressure is in the passenger head) as well as no provisions for transmitting that extra volume. So - what did you gain by adding that second pump? You still only have the oil output of a single pump every time an injector fires.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
are there any 'how to' big oil threads?
how is the second pump driven?

Do a search - there aren't any real DIY threads - but there are many ways of doing it. The inline pumps like the early Stealth and Terminator, the stacked setup like BTS, the OEM and gear pump like the Gen3 from Swamps, the modified stock pump setups like Dieselsite, Terminator, and Stealth, the full billet pump like Stealth Stage 1,2, and 3, etc...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Allows flow in both directions, basically let's everything balance.

Thanks! I will pull them then. Is there any way it would let the oil flow back and make it a little harder to start?

Look at it this way - right now in stock form you have one pump. Only one injector ever fires at one time. In your setup you have two pumps - one plumbed to each head - and no provisions for balance (so you truly don't even know what the pressure is in the passenger head) as well as no provisions for transmitting that extra volume. So - what did you gain by adding that second pump? You still only have the oil output of a single pump every time an injector fires.

I think i did not word something right Jason. The way the pumps are run should be balanced. I will try again. :thumbup: Each pump has two oil lines leaving them. The front pump has two lines feeding the oil rail, one of the lines goes to the passenger side and the other goes to the drivers side. Now the back pump has two lines leaving it. one goes to the passenger side and the other goes to the drivers side. The system I have is a four line feed. Each pump has a line going to both sides. I have a line going into the front of both oil rail and a line going into the back of both oil rails. I would think by doing this it would balance it out since each pump has a line going to each rail.

By going to the second pump I gained twice the oil output. since now each oil rail is fed by two lines. that would make twice the oil able to be pushed to that rail. If I only had the output of one pump how could it keep up with 300/200?? I think we had a little misunderstanding. Or at least I hope so.

I wish I had a picture to show how I plumbed it. might have to get one this weekend.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That is not how I read your first post about plumbing the pumps - that is better and essentially a "balanced" setup - although I would toss the checks.

As for "keeping up" that is mostly tuning and how the fuel is brought in. Dual pumps broaden the curve and make things work better overall - and I wouldn't own another 7.3 without dual pumps - but Chucky is running 400/400s on a single 15* right now and maintaining something like 2.7kpsi. That is far from a recommended setup - but it can be done. He is doing it because he sold his BTS pump setup and was having tuning issues with big oil and a single IPR (may or may not be something else in the truck screwing things up).

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That is not how I read your first post about plumbing the pumps - that is better and essentially a "balanced" setup - although I would toss the checks.

As for "keeping up" that is mostly tuning and how the fuel is brought in. Dual pumps broaden the curve and make things work better overall - and I wouldn't own another 7.3 without dual pumps - but Chucky is running 400/400s on a single 15* right now and maintaining something like 2.7kpsi. That is far from a recommended setup - but it can be done. He is doing it because he sold his BTS pump setup and was having tuning issues with big oil and a single IPR (may or may not be something else in the truck screwing things up).

Thanks Jason!! I feel better know! I will toss the check valves. Well pull them and put them in a the spare parts bin. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Members online