2005 Axle Swap

alwaysdiesel

Reaction score
Also, the donor truck is lifted 4-5 inches and I'm going to swap it over to the OBS, Will I need any kind of drop brackets or anything similar. I guess I should start doing my homework...

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Great, thanks! I will more than likely just use my OBS box, probably upgrade to a Red Head too.

Do you mean an OBS F350 or SD f350 pitman arm? both donor trucks are F350s so I should be o.k.
If using the OBS box use an OBS f350 pitman to ream it. I highly recomend the SD steering box swap. Makes it all super easy.
Also, the donor truck is lifted 4-5 inches and I'm going to swap it over to the OBS, Will I need any kind of drop brackets or anything similar. I guess I should start doing my homework...
Can't answer that because I have no experience with that much lift
Did you have to modify the trans crossmember?

I saw on another thread that someone had to.
That is with ZF-5 transmissions. Autos are fine

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Franky, I blame you and Ryan! Especially you Ryan! After seeing yours at Chris's dyno day last fall, it gave me the bump I needed to do the swap! I only did the front though, using an 06 Super 60 that I'll be converting to 8x6.5 srw to match my Dodge aam 1150 rear! I have 6k coils and it's soft. Going to get icon coils and pmf 4 link bars for it!

Strokersace

Reaction score
HAHA!! Well Frank helped me spend my money and I helped you spend yours! It's the "Axle swap pay it forward" plan!!

Last edited:

kmanxj

Reaction score
Reaming the pitman is as far you NEED to mess with the steering box..... BUT ....... I highly recomend that if you have the SD steering box, go ahead and mount it in there and make a custom pressure line. The pitman arm is straighter to help with steering angles and bump steer. If you stay with the OBS box make sure you swap it to a F350 pitman arm and ream that one

What is needed for the custom pressure line?

Also how is that chassis saver paint working out for you?

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I only ever put one coat on and never finished due to being in a hurry, I feel like it should be topcoated.

I took a SD power steering line w/o hydroboost and re bent the steel part of the line to suits needs

kmanxj

Reaction score
I only ever put one coat on and never finished due to being in a hurry, I feel like it should be topcoated.

I took a SD power steering line w/o hydroboost and re bent the steel part of the line to suits needs

Ok I guess I'm not 100% what is going on with the line. I'm sure once I tear into this thing it will make sense

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
8e2uty3u.jpg

se2u3yty.jpg

Franky, one thing I'm working with different than you had to deal with. Top picture is yours, bottom is mine. Notice how your knuckle mounts almost tight up against the diff section and the spring perch is part of the knuckle? Notice how my knuckle is much father out and has a separate spring perch? I'm guessing my axle is roughly 4 or 5 inches wider than the standard 60. It'll definitely make this truck wide

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
I didn't choose the super 60 for width. I chose it for strength. The bigger shaft joints, knuckles and brakes are worth the effort alone. That and the super 60 was the only axle in the area for sale lol

kmanxj

Reaction score
HMMMM the guy I bought my stuff from said mine was a super 60 too. I just thought they all were. BUT he said mine is a 06 F250, would a 3/4 ton have the super in it?

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
No. Only f450/f550 with 4.56 or steeper gears have the super 60. F250/f350 have regular 60 as well as f450/f550 with 4.30 or shallower gears