2005 Axle Swap

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
JUST GOT THE TRUCK DONE. GOT THE TIRES OUT OF THE BASEMENT, AND HEADED TO THE ALIGHNMNET SHOP. THE MACHINE THAY HAD WAS AWESOME. THEY JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW MACHINE, THATS WHY I WNET THERE. 25,000 DOLLARS, AND THEY ADJUSTED MY DRAG LINK, EVERYTHING ELSE WAS PERFET. COULD OF DONE THAT MYSELF, HAHA BUT GOT A PRICE ON A TRANS FLUID AND COLANT RECIRCULATION WITH BG OILS. MIGHT GO WIH IT
27561d1312840356-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-087.jpg

27562d1312840465-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-088.jpg

27563d1312840567-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-089.jpg

27564d1312840665-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt-090.jpg

THATS MY ACURA INTEGRA GS IN THE FRONT, MY FUEL SIPPER

BigJDW

Reaction score
Thats a good lookin truck. I want to do this conversion to my truck when i get the cash but mines a two wheel drive dually. I'm sure some ones done it before but i haven't seen it.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Thats a good lookin truck. I want to do this conversion to my truck when i get the cash but mines a two wheel drive dually. I'm sure some ones done it before but i haven't seen it.

i was folowing someone who was trying a dually swap and ran into a problem with the VSS in ther rear, never heard any thing after that??? so IDK if it can be done or not..... I bet Cary would know!

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
question solved!!! i just thought they said the OBS VSS wouldnt fit in the hole of the SD dually ( DANA 80? ) i had mentioned to look into the VSS off a F-Superduty, but the guy was banned, tried to sell kits without being a vendor! HAHAHA

BigJDW

Reaction score
i was folowing someone who was trying a dually swap and ran into a problem with the VSS in ther rear, never heard any thing after that??? so IDK if it can be done or not..... I bet Cary would know!

Thats pretty funny cuz my speed-o hasn't worked since i bought the truck :ford: but I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to make something work on those axles with a little research.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
Cool build! Does that obs track bar mount work with the superduty axles? Also what about the drag link does is go right in the obs pitman arm?

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
the pitman arm needs to be machined to fit the bigger joint..... had a 4x4 shop do it for me......

as for the track bar mount NO.. i had to weld a track bar mount onto my truck. the TTBs actually dont have a track bar but is compleetly different then the OBS track bar mount. the stock SD mount can be used but you would have ot talk to the guy that got it to work because i couldnt

rpm-inc

Reaction score
the pitman arm needs to be machined to fit the bigger joint..... had a 4x4 shop do it for me......

as for the track bar mount NO.. i had to weld a track bar mount onto my truck. the TTBs actually dont have a track bar but is compleetly different then the OBS track bar mount. the stock SD mount can be used but you would have ot talk to the guy that got it to work because i couldnt

What 4x4 shop did you use to ream the pitman arm? Wondering if I can send them mine. No one around here can/will do it.

Reaction score
Does nobody know the angle of the '05+ tie rod end vs the stock OBS tie rod end? If the pitman arm just needs to be reamed out to the correct angle/size that would be easy, just gotta buy the stupid $60-$80 reamer.

alwaysdiesel

Reaction score
Bumping this. Question to FrankTheTank or anyone who's done this swap. Can the OBS steering box and shaft be used? I'd like to know a little more of what needs to be customized. So far I know drive shafts need to be modified, possibly a custom Ujoint, pitman arm reamed, sway and track bar mounts made. I've recently purchased my 08 axles and the swap will be starting soon.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Reaming the pitman is as far you NEED to mess with the steering box..... BUT ....... I highly recomend that if you have the SD steering box, go ahead and mount it in there and make a custom pressure line. The pitman arm is straighter to help with steering angles and bump steer. If you stay with the OBS box make sure you swap it to a F350 pitman arm and ream that one

Strokersace

Reaction score
Reaming the pitman is as far you NEED to mess with the steering box..... BUT ....... I highly recomend that if you have the SD steering box, go ahead and mount it in there and make a custom pressure line. The pitman arm is straighter to help with steering angles and bump steer. If you stay with the OBS box make sure you swap it to a F350 pitman arm and ream that one

I swapped the 06 SD steering box and pitman arm in as well. Since I already had the hydroboost unit I was able to use one of my old pressure lines along with the factory 06 line. I'm using the stock 06 trackbar bracket modified to work on our trucks. To date, I have experienced ZERO bump steer.

alwaysdiesel

Reaction score
Reaming the pitman is as far you NEED to mess with the steering box..... BUT ....... I highly recomend that if you have the SD steering box, go ahead and mount it in there and make a custom pressure line. The pitman arm is straighter to help with steering angles and bump steer. If you stay with the OBS box

Great, thanks! I will more than likely just use my OBS box, probably upgrade to a Red Head too.

If you stay with the OBS box make sure you swap it to a F350 pitman arm and ream that one

Do you mean an OBS F350 or SD f350 pitman arm? both donor trucks are F350s so I should be o.k.