200cc

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Id say get 250/200's and let a good tuner get ahold of them and make very clear that you do not want a new engine inspection hole so the safer the better but give you one play tune just to see what they do, or run your compression test drop the injectors studs and valve springs in the motor that is already out and just swap so you don't window a perfectly good block...If it was me i would go route number two if the motor was worth a phuck that was already out

TyCorr

Reaction score
OP is only interested in 400hp, why even bother with a 200% nozzle? :shrug:

Lower egts. ABILITY to have 450+ if needed(this one is almost mandatory as people seem to 'outgrow' whatever power they have).

If I was honestly only going to want/need/use 400hp, indefinitely, Id get some 175/100's and find somebody to tune it to run super cool while towing, dding, and also have a race/performance file. Those injectors and 38r would still make a fun driving truck I think.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
:whs:

o wait..

So many little guys holding signs in one post. LOL

I run 200%s in my 97 but, I'm shooting for more then 400hp. If you are just after 400hp (nothing wrong with it & it's a good, reliable, & fun truck) then I'd lean more towards a 238/80 hybrid & call it a day. Easier to dial in without live tuning, egts are in check & it will make more then 400hp if you desire. No sense overkilling a simple.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Isnt this very thing what Curtis was doing? I mean the 200% nozzle for the sake of shorther PW, lower egts, and cleaner towing. In fact, he was able to make his PMR truck run cooler than a stock superduty. All he had done to the truck was the hybrids and a 38r.

I agree with what you guys are saying. I thought Id say that there could be some benefits to a quicker emptying nozzle. I dont see the 200cc inj being the match for it however.

I personally, in that scenario, would go for the 238/80's.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Curtis also live tunes his own truck so he can dial it in perfectly. Most of the rest of us are getting tunes in the mail so it's hit & miss. A lot of people don't want to deal with a set of injectors that will make the truck haze at idle. (don't bother me but I know a lot of people would be up in arms)

TyCorr

Reaction score
Curtis also live tunes his own truck so he can dial it in perfectly. Most of the rest of us are getting tunes in the mail so it's hit & miss. A lot of people don't want to deal with a set of injectors that will make the truck haze at idle. (don't bother me but I know a lot of people would be up in arms)

True. Good point!

The 7.3 is so noisy anyway that smoke or some soot flitting around the exhaust is irrelevant in my world too. How much haze do you see at idle?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
True. Good point!

The 7.3 is so noisy anyway that smoke or some soot flitting around the exhaust is irrelevant in my world too. How much haze do you see at idle?

I'll have to get a vid of it sometime, but when the temp drops it will normally have a slight haze even with the engine warm. Like rolling through a drive through or sitting at a stop light you can notice it. Once you get rolling it clears up right away & runs smoke free cruising.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Cool!

My buddy has a 12v in his 06 f350 and when his egts drop down to 300 deg his has sooty crap floating out his straightpipe. Once the egts get back up over 500deg its clear. He runs SWMO though.

Is your idle anything close to stock? Ive heard a few trucks with larger inj's run and idle personally but Im no expert. With all the different tuning out there, who really is? Seems some guys trucks idle almost like a stock truck with worn injectors others smoke and lope. I hear that alot over the phone "Do you know how your truck is gonna idle with huge injectors in it? Its not like a stock truck." Several people have said that to me. Like I said I dont care....Its one of the means to the end of having a better running truck.

If some guys with hybrids and varying nozzle sizes could post up a video of their idle and some free revving that'd be awesome to see how the sound changes.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Don't know what my truck has going on, but it hazes like a bitch at idle. I think something to do with the cam/timing? It smokes more at idle than under full load!

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
If some guys with hybrids and varying nozzle sizes could post up a video of their idle and some free revving that'd be awesome to see how the sound changes.

Got a couple for ya today-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDH81b7w-dU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi69foXN_4E

That was after sitting for maybe an hour after driving around & it's in the mid 30s for temps. It can get a nice lope going after you've been driving awhile when it's warmed up. Lot of people that hear my truck tell me how nice the lope sounds, I could really care less as long as it runs good.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Smallest I would go ever for any power or any reason would be 250/100. Wish I did 250/200's. Also wish I got an irate t4 kit but they wernt around when I was building it.

Live tuning is a must. Every caned tune I tried form tony, Matt, Cale, php , and swamps was smoky as hell. Till I got it worked out

Last edited:

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Smallest I would go ever for any power or any reason would be 250/100. Wish I did 250/200's. Also wish I got an irate t4 kit but they wernt around when I was building it.

Live tuning is a must. Every caned tune I tried form tony, Matt, Cale, php , and swamps was smoky as hell. Till I got it worked out

Matt has told me several times he doesnt like the 100% nozzle due to the fact its so messy from all the extrude hone work. He recommends going with 80% if you are deciding between 80 or 100 and if stock or 200 is out of the question. I couldnt be happier with my smoke free canned tunes from Matt?

golfer

Reaction score
I think the hazing at idle has waaaay more to do with a particulars engine compression ratio that anything else.

tuning can reduce or exacerbate the problem...but I have the same exact setup on both of my DD's...

one is a pretty high mileage Excursion which the previous owner defffinitely beat the snot out of. it hazes pretttty good with the 200 nozzle.

my other DD is a crispy clean (very low mileage) F250 6spd with the exact same injs....never hazes for more than a couple of sec's on a bone cold (sub 30deg) start.

I haven't taken the time to try to reduce the haze from the Excursion through tuning..but I imagine that SOME of it can be reduced...but I really don't think it will ever be gone until the engine gets rebuilt on the X.

Latest posts

Members online