200K decision time. 2017 or Cummins swap or ?

03cody

Reaction score
Willing to bet that it costs you a hell of a lot more to do the swap than to put a rebuilt 6.4 in it. I was gonna swap my 6.0 to a 5.9 but I didn't want to be stuck with a truck that has little finicky things wrong with it, has less power, and absolutely no chance of selling it because a "pro" didn't do the labor. Fix the 6.4 tune it, ****** it, love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me2

Reaction score
What does one have to do to a high mileage 6.4 to make it bulletproof ?

If my truck had a Cummins in it right now, I wouldn't be worried about the valve train imploding and taking out the rest of the engine.

me2

Reaction score
It is a serious question. The engine has 200K on it. I assume I would need to rebuild the valve train. What else fails on these things ? What would it take to make it run for another 150K ?

me2

Reaction score
best bet is get 6.4 with bad motor. 6.4 are short life motor. when they go bad they are all bad. It amazes me they run at all. That said usually you can buy a 08-10 pretty reasonable with bad motor. a new complete is 18k installed used are usually close to 10k so the market usually reflects it. if the motor is bad usually subtract 10k from book value. If you can do your own work you can build pretty nice motor for 15k. then you starting off fresh with new motor. just because a 6.4 runs good doesn't mean the engine is any good more likely a time bomb. pretty much every thing in the valve train is wore out after 50,000 miles. Stick dial bore gauge in the holes will almost scare you after 100,000. about the only thing not out of spec is crankshafts IF they don't spin a bearing.

Source: http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66675

If what this poster says is true, then my engine is on its last legs and it is $10K+ to make it good. Tell me again why I am supposed to like the 6.4 ? Meanwhile I have a brand new Cummins sitting on an engine stand waiting for twins...

If I'm missing something and fixing my 6.4 is the way to go, show me the way. Because the way it sits now, it looks like it will be a very expensive path.

My buddy bought a really nice 06 this summer for a work truck. Injectors and a bunch of reliability mods had been done. No evidence of a tuner. I warned him. Late summer and its acting up. Take it in and both heads are cracked. $8K later and it is running again.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'll post it again since you CLEARLY didn't see it before...

Makes no sense. Let's bitch about the 6.4 for years but do NOTHING about fixing (getting rid of) the flaws. He was told from day one how to remedy his issues, but he insisted otherwise. I have zero sympathy for him. None. He made his bed, he needs to lay in it. All I see this thread being as a chit stirrer.

You're much denser than I originally thought...

521turbo

Reaction score
Dude quit wasting everybody's time you will never do the swap! You have been talking about this pos 6.4 for years, but your still driving it.

BK39

Reaction score
I will help with your decision, sell your ford, go buy a dodge. You are pessimistic when it comes to the 6.4 and reliability. And seems you are already thinking the same way about the new 2017 F250 and it's electronics. Easy fix, just buy something different. :thumbsup:

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Or sell it and go get you a 7.3l and you won't have to worry about reliability but reliability isn't just about how well a motor is built but also about how well the owner takes care of said motor

RNally

Reaction score
I will help with your decision, sell your ford, go buy a dodge. You are pessimistic when it comes to the 6.4 and reliability. And seems you are already thinking the same way about the new 2017 F250 and it's electronics. Easy fix, just buy something different. :thumbsup:

I'll second this. Go buy something else so we don't have to see this dumb schit scrolling through the forum. LOL

me2

Reaction score
My first Cummins swap was replacing a 7.3 with a 5.9 CR. Don't see why I would take about 4 steps back and get a 7.3, except for its reliability.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I love my 7.3. Ive had two others. I like my 00. Alot still. Ive paid yhe price of two new trucks in fuel and upkeep since it was new. If it wasnt a sentimental vehicle for me Id unload it. You can make one run good for about 20 grand. Which is dumb.

If I wanted a newer truck, as Im thinking about, id get a 6.7 kr. Or if your budget is closer to 30k get an 11 or 12 xlt with the 6.7. Done. It'll be a good truck for every bit of another 10 years.

Op, you just proved the 6.4 isnt unreliable. You ran one up to 200k and regripe its crappy nature :doh: buuuuuut it still runs....

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I love my 7.3. Ive had two others. I like my 00. Alot still. Ive paid yhe price of two new trucks in fuel and upkeep since it was new. If it wasnt a sentimental vehicle for me Id unload it. You can make one run good for about 20 grand. Which is dumb.

If I wanted a newer truck, as Im thinking about, id get a 6.7 kr. Or if your budget is closer to 30k get an 11 or 12 xlt with the 6.7. Done. It'll be a good truck for every bit of another 10 years.

Op, you just proved the 6.4 isnt unreliable. You ran one up to 200k and regripe its crappy nature :doh: buuuuuut it still runs....

And it had all of the emission equipment on the truck the entire time. So the truck deserves to grenade after a life of fuel dilution, egr, and high egts from burning off.

Wayne

Reaction score
Start by replacing what are probably the original belts and idler/tensioner pulleys, likely fixing the squeak while you're in there replacing what is probably the front main seal leaking. Sell the cummins and 6r because then you have a real money pit if you attempt that. In all seriousness, why haven't you d-leeted it already? Just run a stock power tune for fuel economy's sake, and enjoy high teens to low 20's empty. From the sale of the cummins and 6r, stick it in a savings account for when your existing motor takes a dump. It's probably due for a set of rocker arms, which is a relatively easy job. They can transfer to your new short block when it goes, unless it goes another 200K miles. It's $5900 for a brand new loaded short block from Ford. Front cover to rear cover; oil pan to oil cooler. If/When it goes, throw a new short block in. It'll come with a fancy parts and labor warranty from FoMoCo that will improve resale value. Perform regular trans service, and it should still have a ton of life left. Throw the emissions crap in your garage in case you decide you want it back to stock to sell it at some point. It's not like programmers lose much resale value. Can't go wrong putting one in.

I always laugh as the fummins guys because after they buy an $8k motor, if they're honest with themselves, they spend a minimum of $5k in conversion parts, an untold amount of time (mostly in wiring), and they still have a bunch of electrical gremlins. Unless they spend another big pile of money, they still don't make as much power as a tuned 6.4, and all they have is a different exhaust note, and a CEL on. Way ahead money-reliability-resale-wise to make what you have work, or drop a new factory short block in if it blows. Then if you stay on top of maintenance, it aught to be good 'til the axle shafts wear out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That sums it all up^

I like a cummings but to go through all that when a supposedly crap motor has lasted 200k is craaazy. Sick fo it is!

Latest posts

Members online