200K decision time. 2017 or Cummins swap or ?

JMart

Reaction score
Sell everything, donate the money to charity. Go lease a Prius. That's what I think you should do.

me2

Reaction score
Well there is a reason why ford stuck with the 7.3 for such a long time I don't think that any Ford diesel motor has stuck around for as long as the 7.3 did until now with the 6.7

I totally agree, but the 7.3 is a crappy engine compared to a Cummins CR. Its louder, dirtier, less powerful and it uses more fuel. I had both in the same truck.

me2

Reaction score
IOp, you just proved the 6.4 isnt unreliable. You ran one up to 200k and regripe its crappy nature :doh: buuuuuut it still runs....
Only on a Powerstroke site would someone say an engine is reliable because it made 200K. It needed a $10K fuel system overhaul to get there and now it idles rough and the CEL is on. At 200K ! POS !

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
Only on a Powerstroke site would someone say an engine is reliable because it made 200K. It needed a $10K fuel system overhaul to get there and now it idles rough and the CEL is on. At 200K ! POS !

It's obvious you know everything there is to know. I'm just don't get why you are on a powerstroke forum looking for advice. You should do everyone a favor and go away. It's really simple if you don't like the 6.4 do the swap and shut up about it your babbling on here is useless to everyone.

TyCorr

Reaction score

We have an 08 kr that is ******d/tuned in the parking lot that has been tuned since 48k. Had a front cover replaced at 225k. Its fine but is leaking oil and one of the chargers is making noise.

Dont give me the cummins bs either. We fix more cummins that are "fine" that have bad holes in them. The owners are too ***kin stupid to tell its missing or running rough. 5.9 is a good motor but the rest of the concept is shyte especially since the cr. They suffer from similar problems. Im not saying one is good and another isnt but rather they all have issues.

But go on and bash the 6.4 that is such a pos you were too lazy to swap it out all the while you had time to put 200k on it. And had all the stuff to do a chummins swap.

I dont get you man. Seriously. You dont even know what is wrong with your truck. "Making noise" could be anything from a lifter to a shttiy tq conv.

Like I said bash on. Or put your head down and get that noisy tractor engine swapped into your kr.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont know everything. Trust me! I realize h9w much I dont know since hanging around my wifes kids shop. Lotta little stuff I had no clue about.

Three things i have learned.

6l have a bad rep that should be served on the behalf of the 6.4. A 6l with "the upgrades" is a 500k mile truck with normal diesel maintenance. Yean there are injector issues and the hpops do goofy shti too.

Secondly, the cummins isnt the danm best thing to happen to a pickup truck. The old 5.9 was a fine engine for a worktruck. 12v can make big #s. The 5.9 and 7.3 are the dinosaur work truck engines.

#3 is most people who "take good care" of stuff dont. Most people add fuel to the tank and keep hitting "reset" when the truck wants service. A big portion of the trucks we see have inadequate tire pressure, no washer fluid, blinkers not working, etc...there are some repaired that dont ever get test driven.

Did an obs with some 160/80s last week that didnt want the truck started after injector install because he didnt have the chip yet. He came and picked it up, started it with the chip and drove off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.