2011 6.7l tunes

Dieselroller

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks bro. That's exactly what I'm looking for. That "stock" feel but with plenty of power. I've heard a lot of good things about the gearheads tune, that's why I went with them. Still waiting on them to email it to me. Once they email it, is it pretty simple to upload to the truck?

dseitler

Reaction score
Yes real easy. I recommend driving real easy the first 100 miles. Let the Trans learn 0 to 80 mph shifting real easy below or at half throttle. Then gradually ease into full throttle from 40 mph till whatever. It will give you firm shifts without snapping your neck. Then just flat beat it. LOL I have installed it several times that works best for me but your truck might be different. IMO.

Dieselroller

Reaction score
Yea, I know what you mean, cause these trannys have that active learn technology. So you basically have to reprogram it

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Yes real easy. I recommend driving real easy the first 100 miles. Let the Trans learn 0 to 80 mph shifting real easy below or at half throttle. Then gradually ease into full throttle from 40 mph till whatever. It will give you firm shifts without snapping your neck. Then just flat beat it. LOL I have installed it several times that works best for me but your truck might be different. IMO.

Do you do the tranny relearn process recommended by h&s?

I found that it helps speed up the process.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

oilfieldstroker

Reaction score
Are the tunes safe for the first gen 6.7s with the faulty turbo what are the peak boost levels? That's the only thing holding me back from getting an aftermarket tune as the canned hs don't boost over 22 psi in my truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
I have seen up to 28-29 psi with Gearhead files. Heard somewhere the turbo is good for 30 and below. Getting in the neighborhood of 35 and you're asking for the turbo to scatter. I have put close to 15,000km on my Gearhead files with no ill effects.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I have seen up to 28-29 psi with Gearhead files. Heard somewhere the turbo is good for 30 and below. Getting in the neighborhood of 35 and you're asking for the turbo to scatter. I have put close to 15,000km on my Gearhead files with no ill effects.

Only positive to blowing a turbo is than you have to go visit elite for a new single lol.

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
Only positive to blowing a turbo is than you have to go visit elite for a new single lol.

I'm optimistic that this turbo will hang in there with the Gearhead and SPE files I use,tuning has come a long way, but when/if the turbo decides it's time to retire, one of the vendors will be getting a call. At this point, a single VGT looks like they work well. But.... after reading some build threads here, a fixed geometry turbo between 63 and 66mm seems to spool well, provide some good top end, and typically more economical than a VGT.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I'm optimistic that this turbo will hang in there with the Gearhead and SPE files I use,tuning has come a long way, but when/if the turbo decides it's time to retire, one of the vendors will be getting a call. At this point, a single VGT looks like they work well. But.... after reading some build threads here, a fixed geometry turbo between 63 and 66mm seems to spool well, provide some good top end, and typically more economical than a VGT.

I keep going back a forth between vgt and fixed. Fixed has less moving parts so less issues, slower spool bottom but more power up top. vgt has more moving parts but bottom end towing benefits with slightly less top end.

I dkn. Honestly I miss my 6.4, but I like the interior in the 6.7.

My 11 seems to want to rust faster than my 09.

I just sent payment to gearhead so I will be able to compare to SPE. Getting tired of shift flairs lol.

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
I keep going back a forth between vgt and fixed. Fixed has less moving parts so less issues, slower spool bottom but more power up top. vgt has more moving parts but bottom end towing benefits with slightly less top end.

I dkn. Honestly I miss my 6.4, but I like the interior in the 6.7.

My 11 seems to want to rust faster than my 09.

I just sent payment to gearhead so I will be able to compare to SPE. Getting tired of shift flairs lol.

Gearhead's trans tuning is spot-on! You won't be disappointed... Just an FYI, and I can't really figure out why, I was running the SPE Hot X files with no issues, then my Gearhead files showed up. When I loaded up the Gearhead files. Truck would almost pop into a "false neutral" on the 2-3 shift... Just to be sure something didn't get messed up loading the Gearhead files, I re-loaded the files and went for another drive, was still popping out of gear. I came to a complete stop and selected manual on the shift column. I was able to complete the 2-3 shift manually, first couple of times it wasn't really a positive shift, but got better each time I cycled thru the gears. Once I felt confident it would shift automatically, I ran through a couple of re-learn runs and all was well. If you are running SPE'S street/tow files, it seems you can go back +forth between it and Gearhead without any problems, a re-learn recommended though. Chalking this hiccup to the trans adaptive features. Something to look/watch out for. It may or may not happen to you....

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those funky shifts are due to where the tc locks up in the SPE tuning. I have to go back to H&S box tuning for emissions yearly and mine did the same thing for a few drive cycles. Scared the hell out of me the first time but everything is fine. I am going to try Gearhead tunes next month to see for myself but I have no complaints with SPE, their Hot X tune is meant to be race only so I can't complain about the harsh shifts. I like what I'm hearing about the Gearhead tuning but for hard parts, SPE has great customer service as many vendors here, I've bought parts from Inmotion Josh, and Rivercitydiesel with great service as well.

Keith

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those funky shifts are due to where the tc locks up in the SPE tuning. I have to go back to H&S box tuning for emissions yearly and mine did the same thing for a few drive cycles. Scared the hell out of me the first time but everything is fine. I am going to try Gearhead tunes next month to see for myself but I have no complaints with SPE, their Hot X tune is meant to be race only so I can't complain about the harsh shifts. I like what I'm hearing about the Gearhead tuning but for hard parts, SPE has great customer service as many vendors here, I've bought parts from Inmotion Josh, and Rivercitydiesel with great service as well.

Keith

Trust me, not knocking SPE or their tuning... just thought I would share what I experienced when I switched directly from SPE Hot X tunes to Gearhead and how the truck reacted... it's obvious they are on the right track with their tuning, plenty of people are happily running them and their race truck is making some impressive hp numbers... And also, didn't mind their tuning (street or Hot X), The Gearhead files seem to work better in my truck. When I get more time, I may trade some emails with SPE, and maybe make some revisions to their files more to my liking.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I may try gearhead tranny and spe engine combo. From what I can gather the spe is making more power than gearhead but the tranny is hit and miss depending on vehicle. I while find out soon enough though.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I'm going to try the Gearhead engine/tranny files and was under the impression that SPE did make a little more power. I will probably wind up doing exactly what you're talking about with SPE engine files and Gearhead tranny files. I'd definitely be interested in feedback since that's exactly what I have now and what I'll be trying in a few weeks. Please post back with results as I will too.

Keith

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I got the Gearhead load up. Spent a hot afternoon playing around.

The spe is definitely firm shifting. It also has its share of flared shifts and false neutrals.

The Gearhead had some false neutrals and flared shifts but only during the relearn process.

Gearhead I am not worried to go wot throttle from a stand still.
Spe I was worried I was going to need a tow truck. I think traction bars would of helped that lots.

Depending what the weather does I may load spe engine file with Gearhead tranny.

I had to send my cts out for warranty, so I don't have guage reads.

Overall as a DD I would lean towards the Gearhead. Spe is more track setup. I believe they even say it themselves.

Last edited:

Jesse_01

Reaction score
SPE engine tune has a shade more smoke at wot. Butt dyno says putting out a few hp more, but its tough to say. I am liking the combo.

Gearhead tranny tune is a must though for a DD.

I bet gearhead would up the fuel & boost a little more by request.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online