2012 6.7 Cracked head

MorganY

Reaction score
I thought this may be of some help, since I haven't seen any actual repairs posted. Spoke to a few of you about this to see if you had seen this before.

2012 6.7 tuned and deleted with 56,000 miles was eating a little bit of coolant from the primary system only, and would steam intermittently at idle when cold for a few seconds. This eliminated the intercooler as a possible concern. Smelled like fuel. Also had an oil leak from the turbo oil fitting at the top.

Pressure tested the system for external leaks, held 15psi for 2 hours without a drop. Visual inspection found some dry coolant trails throughout the oil trails on the back of the bell housing. Looked at the weep hole at the water pump, turbo outlet coolant fitting and front cover for possible leaks and found nothing. No surprise being that it held pressure.

Then found this and initially thought it was oil, didn't taste sweet. Time to pull the charger to see if it is pre or post turbo.

20140519_233417_zpsfspeklx9.jpg

Being that they are watercooled units, I wanted to narrow out the small chance of the turbo leaking internally from the center section and blowing out of the exhaust.

20140520_120907_zpsnxsjmt5u.jpg

Found my answer. Wet inlet with coolant on the drivers side turbo inlet. Moving into a pre turbo problem. Got the approval to pull the cab and begin getting the heads off.

20140520_161239_zpsuj6z9qq3.jpg

20140520_161257_zpsb6dds573.jpg

At this point it was either a cracked wall, or head.

20140520_184752_zpsotayum3s.jpg

Drivers side. Coolant sitting in the intake port explaining the intermittent startup with steam. Depending on the valve position of that cylinder after the engine was turned off.

20140520_190128_zpsrk8q967v.jpg

20140520_205722_zps9i6nwkfi.jpg

(Note: truck is running spartan tuning)

20140520_210803_zpsszmmrwvl.jpg

20140520_214449_zpsve204xl6.jpg

Ford was on international backorder for turbos (He wanted to replace it while it was apart) so No limit expedited a brand new one immediately.

Elite shipped out a set of studs immediately as well.

20140521_112556_zps90urzco8.jpg

Properly cleaned deck. Note you do not remove the block stains.

IMG_20140522_175343_zpsnrqh7j9g.jpg

New heads going on.

20140522_180112_zpsc0hwnpcj.jpg

Torquing the studs once to 50ft/lbs, loosen, another time to 50ft/lbs, loosen, and again to 50 ft/lbs, then 85ft/lbs, then 125ft/lbs. Freshly calibrated Snap On TW.

Checking the valve train after install. This video does a good job of showing how the spray bars work, and their oil path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvYKWojvrs&list=UU2wI4PYIqupCcV-shWZvRTw&feature=share

20140523_133314_zpszlbqsub7.jpg

All back together, problem solved.

At the very least, it is a good read. Haven't seen or heard of a cracked head until this point, let alone from an intake passage. Ran it by Morgan and Tadd to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Something else, these heads from Ford run around $690 a piece list price. Pretty good price considering what 6.0/6.4 heads run.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
So during block prep you don't try to remove the black "stains"? Explain why?

When doing 6.0's here's how mine look before going together ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401340309.611075.jpg

MorganY

Reaction score
So during block prep you don't try to remove the black "stains"? Explain why?

When doing 6.0's here's how mine look before going together View attachment 28627

The stains have been absorbed into the metal. To remove those stains, you will have to physically remove material from the deck. Technically its an untrue surface at a microscopic level, but it is more true than taking deck material off to eliminate the stains (besides an entire block teardown and machining the deck, and pistons). If you can see scratch trails from the medium being used to clean the deck, you're removing block material. That's why I used a plastic scraper. No matter how much pressure I use, it's not going to remove any metal material, only the previous gasket material.

very nice write-up. I bet you had a ton of diag time on that baby

Lots!

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Cool write up. Looks like it would be fun tearing into it that far. Knock on wood I have 125k & 7000hrs on my truck no issues.

If my truck was tore down that bad, I would be tempted to visit the bank for a loan on some goodies for it lol.

MorganY

Reaction score
Cool write up. Looks like it would be fun tearing into it that far. Knock on wood I have 125k & 7000hrs on my truck no issues.

If my truck was tore down that bad, I would be tempted to visit the bank for a loan on some goodies for it lol.

I had a good time. I'm all about reliability these days..If it were me, it would have been put together with factory parts again lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Awesome man. Wish I had a place to work on mine like that. I

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MorganY

Reaction score
Awesome man. Wish I had a place to work on mine like that. I

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's not my place, I went to the trucks location because he had mostly everything I needed.

Morgan, what block prep you using besides the Motorcraft metal prep, I can't read the spray can. Is it just brake clean? Great write up and where you located?

It's the silicone gasket remover. I'm pretty sure its goo gone in a spray can. Smells just like it, same consistency, etc. I prefer brake cleaner for the final clean over the metal surface prep.

HD F250

Reaction score
Great work and nice write up Morgan. Thanks for sharing and guys like you is why PSA is the best forum on the net!

kingranch1

Reaction score
Thanks. It's not my place, I went to the trucks location because he had mostly everything I needed.

It's the silicone gasket remover. I'm pretty sure its goo gone in a spray can. Smells just like it, same consistency, etc. I prefer brake cleaner for the final clean over the metal surface prep.

Thanks, are currently working at a Ford dealer or a shop? And which one cause when I need work done, it would be coming to you. I like your cleanliness and not using roll loc discs to clean the deck surface. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Members online