2012 6.7 P1291, P1292 Codes.

RyanG85

Reaction score
I just picked up a salvage 2012 F250. Truck was listed as run and drive but has been sitting since it was wrecked back in June. I tried starting it after borrowing the batteries out of my 7.3 and I'm getting a crank but no start condition. I'm getting codes P1291 and P1292, Injector High Side Short to Ground Bank 1 and 2. I unplugged the PCM and checked resistance on all injectors and all were good but when checking to ground, Injectors 4, 6 and 8 showed a short to ground. I was hoping to find a harness issue but no luck, I checked at the injector to ground and they still showed to be shorted. I read a TSB about fuel contamination, I pulled the filter and checked for water or signs of DEF contamination and it looked clean and clear. My question is, what is the likely cause for 3 to short and are the other 5 likely to short?`The truck was hauling a heavy toy hauler when it wrecked so I doubt there were any issues prior to the accident. The radiators were broken, could the engine getting hot cause it? Is there any overheat protection with this engine? Do I get 3 new injectors and keep my fingers crossed or is there any further testing I can do? Thanks in advance. Ryan

RyanG85

Reaction score
Also, would these codes cause a no start? My 7.3 would run on 4 cylinder so I figure I should at least get a sign of wanting to start.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Not sure on the codes but have you reset the fuel pump shutoff on the passenger side, under the dash?

RyanG85

Reaction score
I took a fuel sample from the drivers side rail, I filled a plastic spay paint cap up and there was 1 speck of metal in there. If the HPFP is on its way out, there would be lots of metal, right? Is there anywhere else I should look for metal specks?

Bigharm27

Reaction score
If a hpfp is on its way out or already is. Then usually u will see alot of metal in the primary fuel bowl. So if u have one speck from the rail and fuel bowl then I would say at least the guts of the pump are still intact.

Latest posts

Members online