2015 PIP tune issues

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
I have been working with David at pip. He even made a few changes to my tunes but its still just as laggy. I also got the p0402 code even running v7 tunes. David said I should have never gotten that with a v7 tune. So it seems these are not completely dialed in yet. Im just trying to see if others had the same lag, apparently they do. I just cannot believe that my tuned 2003 7.3 has nearly zero lag with stock turbo but the 6.7 tuned is a bigger turd than it was stock off the line. I still have my 7.3 and it absolutely leaves my 6.7 in the dust off the line in a cloud of smoke. I was expecting the 6.7 to wake up tuned not turn into a turd. pretty disappointing. It just seems like they could crank up the low boost fueling to help get it spooled up. I mean I get zero smoke off the line, that doesn't seem right for a tuned diesel.

You have to realize. The 15' trucks on a big tune are throwing a lot fuel and they have a much larger turbo then the previous 11-14 trucks. When you go WOT from a dead stop it is going to have some turbo lag to it. Now if you are up in the 2000 RPM range and are still only making 10 psi then the tune needs to revised. The guys over a Punch it are extremely busy and under staffed for the work load that they have. Bare with them, Mike, David, and Daniel will get you taken care I will guarantee you that.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Why would anyone continue to run a file that has obvious issues?

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
You have to realize. The 15' trucks on a big tune are throwing a lot fuel and they have a much larger turbo then the previous 11-14 trucks. When you go WOT from a dead stop it is going to have some turbo lag to it. Now if you are up in the 2000 RPM range and are still only making 10 psi then the tune needs to revised. The guys over a Punch it are extremely busy and under staffed for the work load that they have. Bare with them, Mike, David, and Daniel will get you taken care I will guarantee you that.

I understand that all turbos in general have at least some lag. The truck is laggy no matter what. Even if you ease in to it. Its better but still bad lag. I am only showing a wot stand still because it shows the worst it can be and is easier for others to compare as there is no variable about the throttle position. David at pip basically told me I was the only one he had heard of complaining about lag and that possibly my truck had a weak lift pump or other issues. That's why I started this post to collect input from others to present to him. I have had many tuned diesel trucks, and have never seen this much lag before tuned. My 03 7.3, 04 6.0, and a 05 dodge cummins all had much reduced lag tuned. My 6.7 has more lag tuned. I cannot wrap my head around that? It has zero smoke on take off. It seems they could add some low boost fueling to help with lag. If they are throwing so much fuel at these 6.7's why is there no smoke? Especially at take off. I realize there is a fine line when tuning these and the try to refine them not to smoke excessively. But low boost fueling is used to reduce lag and improve response. Seems like the 6.7 could use some more. My 03 7.3 shouldn't be able to beat my 6.7 up to 20mph, but it does. If I could get the response my 7.3 has I would be happy camper. It has almost no lag and a good puff of smoke at take off.

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
No lag here, try plugging the throttle body back in and see what happens. Mine popped some codes when it was first tuned, plugged the throttle body back in and its been good since. Even with the V7 tunes, the throttle body is still plugged in.

When I did the egr delete I forgot to unplug the throttle body and when the truck was cold it wouldnt go over 10mph. The throttle was dead at anything above 1100 rpms. Once it warmed up it ran normal but still had the lag. David at pip told me to unplug it and it would run normal when cold. Which it did. So thats definitely not it.

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
I understand that all turbos in general have at least some lag. The truck is laggy no matter what. Even if you ease in to it. Its better but still bad lag. I am only showing a wot stand still because it shows the worst it can be and is easier for others to compare as there is no variable about the throttle position. David at pip basically told me I was the only one he had heard of complaining about lag and that possibly my truck had a weak lift pump or other issues. That's why I started this post to collect input from others to present to him. I have had many tuned diesel trucks, and have never seen this much lag before tuned. My 03 7.3, 04 6.0, and a 05 dodge cummins all had much reduced lag tuned. My 6.7 has more lag tuned. I cannot wrap my head around that? It has zero smoke on take off. It seems they could add some low boost fueling to help with lag. If they are throwing so much fuel at these 6.7's why is there no smoke? Especially at take off. I realize there is a fine line when tuning these and the try to refine them not to smoke excessively. But low boost fueling is used to reduce lag and improve response. Seems like the 6.7 could use some more. My 03 7.3 shouldn't be able to beat my 6.7 up to 20mph, but it does. If I could get the response my 7.3 has I would be happy camper. It has almost no lag and a good puff of smoke at take off.

Do you have a way that you can monitor the Fuel Rail Pressure? Also did you unplug all 3 of the EGR plugs? You can't just unplug the EGR valve you have to also unplug the other 2 on top of the EGR cooler.

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
Why would anyone continue to run a file that has obvious issues?

Im not sure if you know this, but once you are deleted you cannot go back to a stock tune. Pip does not have a stock deleted tune. So you have no choice but to run a performance delete tune.

Do you have a way that you can monitor the Fuel Rail Pressure? Also did you unplug all 3 of the EGR plugs? You can't just unplug the EGR valve you have to also unplug the other 2 on top of the EGR cooler.

Of course I unhooked all 3 egr plugs. I have a full egr delete. I do have a&e im not sure what all I can monitor, if anything on the 6.7. I will hook it up and see.

You would think but apparently not.

Im not sure what you are getting at. But if your not going to have helpful input please keep it to yourself.

JCROMAN73

Reaction score
There has to be something going on with the truck in order for it not to dumping to fuel out. IMO

Seems to be at least 4 others that say they have the same lag and little to no smoke at take off. There is something wrong with all of our brand new trucks that doesn't set a cel? My truck was just built 1.5 months ago. Maybe ford has made some late changes to programming or something that is affecting the tunes? Also if I did have a lift pump issue wouldn't I have low power through out the mid-range? I get a good puff of smoke and light haze if i get on at after the truck is already moving and it pulls like a freight train,

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Of course I unhooked all 3 egr plugs. I have a full egr delete. I do have a&e im not sure what all I can monitor, if anything on the 6.7. I will hook it up and see.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to monitor Fuel Rail Pressure with an Edge CTS. On nmy 14' I can monitor it with my mini. I know they changed some thing on the 15'. What is an A&E?

Seems to be at least 4 others that say they have the same lag and little to no smoke at take off. There is something wrong with all of our brand new trucks that doesn't set a cel? My truck was just built 1.5 months ago. Maybe ford has made some late changes to programming or something that is affecting the tunes? Also if I did have a lift pump issue wouldn't I have low power through out the mid-range? I get a good puff of smoke and light haze if i get on at after the truck is already moving and it pulls like a freight train,

That's crazy, the 15' test truck we have here doesn't have an issue what so ever on the v7 files.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
Jcroman , random thought but did you try to plug the EGR throttle body back in?

Regardless I am gonna have to agree with Will on the lag. My buddies 15 dually is the exact same way but he seems to be content with it. He had a 12 like I do before this one, and wished his 15 spooled up as quick as the 12. Its just part of having that turbo. I did notice when we did the cold pipe upgrade on his 15 that there was a significant difference in power even before PIP revised his tuning to do the EGR delete and the butterfly delete

Last edited:

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Of course I unhooked all 3 egr plugs. I have a full egr delete. I do have a&e im not sure what all I can monitor, if anything on the 6.7. I will hook it up and see.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to monitor Fuel Rail Pressure with an Edge CTS. On nmy 14' I can monitor it with my mini. I know they changed some thing on the 15'. What is an A&E?

That's crazy, the 15' test truck we have here doesn't have an issue what so ever on the v7 files.[/QUOTE]

I have a CTS and it will not monitor rail pressure only fuel rate per min or hour.

higherlife

Reaction score
Are you only judging whether or not your truck has enough power based on the amount of black smoke it makes?? You seem to be using it as a unit of measurement. If so, i hate to break it to you but both tuners, KEM and PIP, which i have both and only have great things to say about both tuners, seem to be doing a great job at keeping the smoke down and properly fueling these trucks.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
Yep, My buddy's 15 hardly smokes at all and runs very clean. Of course if you get on it after its moving down the road, a little haze of smoke pours out and then goes away, but nothing bad.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I'm not running the same tuning so I cannot completely compare, but my truck lights quick. That looks like a truck with the vanes stuck open, minus the over fueling.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Im not sure if you know this, but once you are deleted you cannot go back to a stock tune. Pip does not have a stock deleted tune. So you have no choice but to run a performance delete tune.
I'm not sure if you know this...but PIP isn't the only player in the game. I have a deleted '15 that spools fast, shifts perfectly and drives great. It's also not PIP tuned.

Im not sure what you are getting at. But if your not going to have helpful input please keep it to yourself.
I was replying to the post above the one you quoted. If you don't like my posts put me on ignore and you won't see them. It's a public forum and I won't keep sh!t to myself.

Latest posts

Members online