300/200's stock bottom end.

mattman347

Reaction score
My engine lasted 12,000 miles at over 600hp. Not all that time was spent literally over 600 but I did make hundreds of passes at the strip (on spray) and the sled track. I also towed a lot. It had been on the fritz for a while though with a real rough idle and a funny shake to it all the time with a ton of blow by out the passenger side of the engine. I ended up just bending a few rods playing on the street with a friend from Ohio but was able to drive it back to the farm with a slight "knock" and a lot of white smoke.

The point I have come to realize is, if you going to use all the power on any of these engines often, you will break stuff.

Reaction score
So I've heard...unfortunately the people I know of have all used daddy's money. I can't wait to move back and start pulling again, I'm inches away from a finished motor.

And thank you for the compliment!

When are you planning on comming back?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My engine lasted 12,000 miles at over 600hp. Not all that time was spent literally over 600 but I did make hundreds of passes at the strip (on spray) and the sled track. I also towed a lot. It had been on the fritz for a while though with a real rough idle and a funny shake to it all the time with a ton of blow by out the passenger side of the engine. I ended up just bending a few rods playing on the street with a friend from Ohio but was able to drive it back to the farm with a slight "knock" and a lot of white smoke.

The point I have come to realize is, if you going to use all the power on any of these engines often, you will break stuff.

Giggle gas might have had something to do with it...

PSDEng

Reaction score
Oh man maybe ill see ya. I pull at a few around here center hall has really exploded.

Yeah no kidding! That place just gets bigger and bigger every year. I used to live in Bellefonte, and honestly if it weren't for Centre Hall being in my backyard I probably wouldn't venture over there as much as I did. They need to get some serious work done to the far end of that track.

Spoiler alert: I've got a few buddies working on getting a truck pull set up for the Antique Show :evil:

David N

Reaction score
Could there be any correlation to the time a block lives vs how long it's been subject to the high heat and stress involved with a higher horsepower truck?

It seems to me the guys that go "all out" with injectors first thing, seem to have the worst luck.

Whereas people who start out small, and gradually get bigger and bigger with injectors motors seem to last longer?

Can a motor be "seasoned"? After it sees the many heat cycles of daily driving? Does that make it better? Can it be used to that extra heat and cylinder pressure?

Just a thought.

mandkole

Reaction score
I dont think so...most of these motors are well seasoned with 100 to 300K on them.

Its a combination of individual motor health, some luck with exceptional parts, tuning, but its mostly duty cycle and time spent at those extreme levels. Mattman's comment is spot on... I have no concern that my motor will live if I roll around in a 60T or 80DD file and dont drive like I stole it.

Should I decide to turn it up to the max effort file and wring it out more, I just knocked off a few 'lives' and odds of failure have improved greatly.

BB540C2

Reaction score
Well, I'm at about 6000 miles with mine with stock forged rods (wish me luck) :confused:.
Fixing to go pick me up a core today for my billet rod motor.

David N

Reaction score
I dont think so...most of these motors are well seasoned with 100 to 300K on them.

Its a combination of individual motor health, some luck with exceptional parts, tuning, but its mostly duty cycle and time spent at those extreme levels. Mattman's comment is spot on... I have no concern that my motor will live if I roll around in a 60T or 80DD file and dont drive like I stole it.

Should I decide to turn it up to the max effort file and wring it out more, I just knocked off a few 'lives' and odds of failure have improved greatly.

I get what you're saying, but my PMR motor lived for 40k miles at well over 500hp. I never took it off the highest tune except to put it on the high idle.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
subd, maybe we can have an educated discussion on tuning at higher hp levels with out it being a chit show. im always open to try new tunes and whats working for who with what set up. But now all of us here don't exactly have baby injectors and set ups any more, we've got a very potent setup that can break some stuff. So far i'm running gearhead which is very mellow that packs a mean punch when you stand on it while not feeling like i'm going to nade this bich. I have a PHP daily tune for towing/DD that doesn't seem hard on the motor and is smoke free. Then there's my tony tune that seems super aggressive but haven't had a chance to run it yet because of my trans. Id love to hear more on all your experiences

Reaction score
Yeah is it 10, 000 miles of foot too floor or cruising in the hot tune for several hundred miles then occasionally getting on it balls to the walls.

I think for a lot of us its a chance we are willing to take though and not spending 15k on a bottom end.

Latest posts

Members online