30lb of boost on 38R

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Im only get 30lb of boost on my 38R. I have disconnected the red line with no change (30lb). I just cant get my head around having a leak. If I had a leak I would assume I wouldnt get to 30lb. How could it reach 30 then start to leak.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
did you do a leak test? its also possible that the waste gate needs a little tightening done to it.... do a leak testand if its not leaking then tighten the gate. 34lbs is where it should be set.

live life full throttle

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
did you do a leak test? its also possible that the waste gate needs a little tightening done to it.... do a leak testand if its not leaking then tighten the gate. 34lbs is where it should be set.

live life full throttle

Wouldnt disconnecting the red tube negate the wastegate.
Im about to take the whole charge system out. Im waiting for a alternator to come from the States so I have some time. Im making 2 end caps out of some exhaust pipe. Both will have a tyre valve and 1/8th npt thread for boost gauge (I have two). I will also charge the plenums to check. The up pipe collector looks good to me. Like I said I just cant get why it wil hit 30 then start to leak.

Does it maintain 30psi?

Yes Justin it will hold. Im yet to test my HPOP. I believe I may be looking at 2 issues. I should be well into the 500HP mark but atm Im struggling to get 400hp. If the HPOP is flatening out around the 2700rpm mark, could that hold back the boost.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Wouldnt disconnecting the red tube negate the wastegate.
No, it won't.

Backpressure can still overcome the internal spring in the wastegate actuator and open up the wastegate.

Im about to take the whole charge system out. Im waiting for a alternator to come from the States so I have some time. Im making 2 end caps out of some exhaust pipe. Both will have a tyre valve and 1/8th npt thread for boost gauge (I have two). I will also charge the plenums to check. The up pipe collector looks good to me. Like I said I just cant get why it wil hit 30 then start to leak.

Yes Justin it will hold. Im yet to test my HPOP. I believe I may be looking at 2 issues. I should be well into the 500HP mark but atm Im struggling to get 400hp. If the HPOP is flatening out around the 2700rpm mark, could that hold back the boost.
There are various reasons for not having enough power, and consequently observe lower than average boost numbers. Isolate your issues first, whether it be leaks, improperly adjusted wastegate actuator, or the inability to hold injection pressure among others. Then you can go from there on a fix.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
leave the entire charge system hooked up and do a leak test. hpo psi isnt horrible, not ideal but not bad so that aint it.. worry about the entire charge system first. make sure ebpv is hooked up right and do leak test.

live life full throttle

Charles

Reaction score
Is it smoking heavily, indicating that you have extra fuel to burn? If not... there's your answer.

And if it isn't smoking heavily, then there's probably not a leak either.

Is the wastegate actuator rod tight? Can you easily open the gate with hand pressure on the rod? If so... there's your answer...

My 38R would run ~40lbs of boost with the 1.15 housing (non gated) and some 30% EH nozzles. It pulled ~480rwhp like that.

Also, is your camshaft/head porting moving more air, reducing boost? If it's not smoking heavily, then maybe.

You haven't even mentioned smoke level that I've seen. And that's the most important factor to determine how hard it's fueling or how bad it's deficient of air.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Until I did my wicked wheel only 38r all I ever saw was 30lbs max but I'm up in altitude so I'm assuming that's the reason for it. Now I can push 35 and still smoke like a freighttrain.

Charles

Reaction score
Until I did my wicked wheel only 38r all I ever saw was 30lbs max but I'm up in altitude so I'm assuming that's the reason for it. Now I can push 35 and still smoke like a freighttrain.

With a 1.0 housing I would expect a 38R would make boost until it popped if boost was what you wanted.

I struggled to keep mine under 40lbs as a single with 30% EH nozzles and a 1.15 housing.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the boost numbers as my truck seems to like it and pulls hard. I have all new boots and orings along with pressure testing it last time and had no leaks. My 38r is still bone stock.
I would think with his injector he would see more boost. I've seen my boost increase all the way from stock to stg1s and now with my 2s.

Charles

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the boost numbers as my truck seems to like it and pulls hard. I have all new boots and orings along with pressure testing it last time and had no leaks. My 38r is still bone stock.
I would think with his injector he would see more boost. I've seen my boost increase all the way from stock to stg1s and now with my 2s.

I would want to sit on the dyno, tighten up the gate, make a pull, tighten up the gate, make a pull, so on and so forth.

I would find it hard to believe that it wouldn't make more power with more than 30lbs.

Fwiw, my 1.0 housing came factory with tons of slack in the actuator rod.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

mine runs 35-40psi... im only around 1000ft but ive drove threw the mountains and never seen a hindrance of boost do to being higher..

CurtisF

Reaction score
mine runs 35-40psi... im only around 1000ft but ive drove threw the mountains and never seen a hindrance of boost do to being higher..
x2

Peak boost at altitude only drops by a few PSI. I would only see about a 2-3 psi difference at altitude vs sea level.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I always adjust the wastegate rod so it only swings 45 degrees when applying air pressure to the wastegate pod. This usually limits boost to about 35-36 psi on most trucks. When the drive pressure starts getting out of hand it will force it open.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I always adjust the wastegate rod so it only swings 45 degrees when applying air pressure to the wastegate pod. This usually limits boost to about 35-36 psi on most trucks. When the drive pressure starts getting out of hand it will force it open.

how much actual air pressure does it take to swing it 45°? do you set you shop air at 35lbs or is it actually less then that?

live life full throttle

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
Mine sits about 22 in 4 th gear running 60 up a hill with. T650 bobcat in tow. But it builds boost real fast and clears the smoke up

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Are you getting enough fuel? Do you have a fuel system to supply fuel or are you running the factory fuel system?

Carter lift pump pre filter, Walbro post. I have all the good bits on my build I cut no corners. I should be well into the 500hp mark. Just couldnt be bothered listing them all in my sig

Im about to pull my turbo to put the WW2 in. How much air pressure should be applied Matt to achieve this.

Hers my dyno run. Three quick runs on each tune . All i was after was my Hp #'s. Excuse the quality it was my first go at video ing.
You tell me if it is smoking to much

http://youtu.be/JPhS2xAxPKI

Heres the print out

scan0007_zps7ce96a70.jpg

Last edited:

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I would have thought you have motlre hp tuen that. I set my wastegate just how gearhead said to. I switched my tunes to my other chip from daily and sled tunes. She's jumps in bosst on my other tunes