30lb of boost on 38R

Charles

Reaction score
The video was linked in a post about the linkage movement, I had no way to assume the video was of the truck running...

I still haven't watched it...

So I watch the video, and it is of the actuator. If there's another video I didn't notice, or maybe it's hyperlinked without a video pane, in which case I'm not reading line by line to find it.

Point being.... if it's not rolling massive coal, stop worrying about the charger.

Last edited:

4duggan

Reaction score
Wanting Everyone's $.02 ,
So was hoping That I was done modding this truck.

I am nearing 50 and want to just maintain my present setup.

Did the ww2 and have the 1.15 housing
But still a little more smoke than I like and would welcome just a tad lower egt.

Love the way the truck runs, however if one last mod would be done should it be 200% nozzle's ?

Truck has Swamp tunes and inj's , it's the 350 in my sig.

OP , sorry to piggyback your thread ?

Tom S

Reaction score
The video was linked in a post about the linkage movement, I had no way to assume the video was of the truck running...

I still haven't watched it...

So I watch the video, and it is of the actuator. If there's another video I didn't notice, or maybe it's hyperlinked without a video pane, in which case I'm not reading line by line to find it.

Point being.... if it's not rolling massive coal, stop worrying about the charger.

Looks pretty smoky at the 4 min mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPhS2xAxPKI&feature=youtu.be

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Wanting Everyone's $.02 ,
So was hoping That I was done modding this truck.

I am nearing 50 and want to just maintain my present setup.

Did the ww2 and have the 1.15 housing
But still a little more smoke than I like and would welcome just a tad lower egt.

Love the way the truck runs, however if one last mod would be done should it be 200% nozzle's ?

Truck has Swamp tunes and inj's , it's the 350 in my sig.

OP , sorry to piggyback your thread ?

sure why not? goes along with everything charles has said.

live life full throttle

David N

Reaction score
Hole in the intercooler? Have you checked the intake manifolds to see if they are leaking? You need to make or buy a boost leak detector and get some soapy water and put it in a spray bottle. Apply pressure to your compressor side of the turbo and start spraying that water everywhere there is a connection. It will tell you if its leaking or not.

FWIW, I just did the same, and my intake manifolds were leaking like crazy. I picked up 3 psi just from getting them sealed up.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Hole in the intercooler? Have you checked the intake manifolds to see if they are leaking? You need to make or buy a boost leak detector and get some soapy water and put it in a spray bottle. Apply pressure to your compressor side of the turbo and start spraying that water everywhere there is a connection. It will tell you if its leaking or not.

FWIW, I just did the same, and my intake manifolds were leaking like crazy. I picked up 3 psi just from getting them sealed up.

In the process of making them now. Just ran out of welding gas :(. Will hook up the intercooler and check then move on to the Y and the plenums.

jngreen

Reaction score
That truck needs to be strapped down a little better next time. I was waiting for something bad to happen with it jumping and rocking like that.

Charles

Reaction score
I might be the dirty old dinosaur here....

But with an enclosed room, with a wall right next to the exhaust, that truck wouldn't be visible through the smoke if it had been mine back when I was running the 38R as a single.

But.... I also cracked the top of every single piston in multiple places due to excessive EGT.

Point being, the truck is fueled nicely, and not excessively. If you want more power at the cost of smoke, I would say there's a good chance it's there. Obviously if that were the case then boost would follow.

I would only look for the charger having an issue if Matt told you that file should be clean, and usually was on most trucks.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
intercoolerleaktest_zps40618eea.jpg

Intercooler checks out OK. Held pressure

907DAVE

Reaction score
Any idea what PW is under full load?

Sure looks like there isn't a thing wrong with the system, but like Matt was inferring - ported heads and a cam may yield lower boost numbers.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
FWIW, I did a truck this weekend with the exact same setup (turbo/injectors)and it had no problems creeping up to the high 30's with around 3.2ish ms.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Any idea what PW is under full load?

Sure looks like there isn't a thing wrong with the system, but like Matt was inferring - ported heads and a cam may yield lower boost numbers.

The reason for the investigation is that Im down on HP as well. Should be easily in the 500 range. This is one step and I tend to agree. The charge system looks fine. I tweaked the wastegate a bit and with the WW 2 I might see a rise on boost. When I get it back together I will book the dyno and run some AE test on my HPOP.

Gearhead

Reaction score
The reason for the investigation is that Im down on HP as well. Should be easily in the 500 range. This is one step and I tend to agree. The charge system looks fine. I tweaked the wastegate a bit and with the WW 2 I might see a rise on boost. When I get it back together I will book the dyno and run some AE test on my HPOP.

Chances are that the truck didn't get fully loaded on the dyno, so I wouldn't count it out for not making 500 HP.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.