30lb of boost on 38R

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
first step of elimination
both the inlet and outlet of the turbo looked nice and sealed to me

turboinlet_zpsac7f84d5.jpg

turbooutlet_zps75f39ee4.jpg

no tell tale soot marks outside the sealing surface.

now the wastegate. tell me if this is the correct actuation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztt2z43jzc

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
your turbo is fine dude! you prolly had a boost leak in the compressor side of the system... not a exhaust leak....
live life full throttle

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
I removed the turbo to put the WW2 in and check the wastegate whether I leak test before or after it had to be done. Can someone tell me if that wastegate is set right.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
yep its closing. I put my hand up the exhaust side so I could feel the valve. Going to hook up a gauge and check what pressure its releasing while I have it off

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
The amount of pressure on the diaphragm to open the gate probably won't be a direct indicator of the drive pressure required to push that puck out of the way and start bypassing the turbine.

To lay it out there clearly, the red line comes off of an electronic boost regulator... I think that's the name. It's part of the factory system that attempts to keep boost under 22psi on factory tuning. As boost approaches that number, that regulator starts putting pressure on the diaphragm so that less drive pressure is required to open the gate and stop boost from building past 22psi.

So when you disconnect it, you disconnect the helper. That's it. Drive pressure on that puck will still push it out of the way, depending on where you have the rod tightened to.

If it was me, I'd pop that c-clip off, and tighten down the lolipop end of that rod as far as I could. Then reattach and see how far shop air moved the gate, not how much shop air was needed to move the gate. Like Matt said, let it move a little if you'd like.

Not tightening down that rod will result in it always opening at XX psi back pressure. And with the stock 38R wheel, will result in only ever getting 30psi boost.

That gen 2 wheel might do alot better on the current gate setting, but it's a hell of a lot easier to adjust the gate with the turbo on the bench.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Finally got your vid to work... That ain't much movement on that gate... If that little bit is stopping you at 30, assuming there are no boost leaks stopping you, I'd tighten it all the way and run it with zero gate travel.

You might have to remove the lolipop and cut the rod a touch shorter to get the assembly short enough to hold the gate shut.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Yes leave it off the actuator and just connect that end back to the solenoid where it originates on the blank nipple there. If you've had this connected then there's your issue

Last edited:

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Yes leave it off the actuator and just connect that end back to the solenoid where it originates on the blank nipple there. If you've had this connected then there's your issue

i did take it off and had a run but it made no difference
I connected a guage to the wastegate and its starts bleeding at 20psi and is at its full stroke at 27psi

Charles

Reaction score
Is....the....truck....smoking....like....a....train....

Cause if not.... skip allllllllllllllll this bs and add FUEL....

Still I see no mention of the SMOKE quantity.... If it's burning crystal clean then...

#1. You don't need more boost.

#2. You're not injecting much fuel if a 38R is cleaning it up, hence the low boost value.

One more time for the cheap seats...... if it's not SMOKING HEAVILY.... then STOP ***ing around with the turbo on your quest for why you're making less power and less boost than you want.

Once you proceed deep into heavy smoke territory, you can always dial it back down to an acceptable level where power starts to drop off once you know you have fully fueled your charger setup to it's capacity.

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
I just watched the vid...

Im no dyno expert, but was the truck in correct gear, converter locked and the right load on the drum? Ive seen your like setup run--For as much fuel as you have with a 250/100, it should have smoked far more than it did...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
it appears to be smoking some in the youtube vid he posted. but seams like it should smoke a little more than it did..

live life full throttle

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Maybe Charles could watch the video. lol.
It held a constant 65psi fuel.
Matts tunes are clean.
It was the frist time I had ever seen a dyno and I spose I should of asked more question. But all wanted was my HP#'s to verify what I was thinking. I didnt have my laptop working at the time and now Im waiting for new Ford enhanced codes but next time I will research more regarding the dyno.
Will move on from the turbo and check the rest of the system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.