35's vs 37's offroad

Betarocker

Reaction score
I run 4" Icon leafs with 37x13.50R18 Toyo MTs on American Racing 18"x9" w/ 4.5"BS rims. No rubbing in any situation.

But I have an Icon 3" hanger/shackle kit between the spring and the frame.
:D

CSIPSD

Reaction score
What wheel offset would that be? And what width 37? You know, for the people that wanna run that setup.

There are only certain offsets available, fwiw.

There 17-9 wheels, I cant recall the exact offset after 7 years, but next time I am at schwabs I will find out...

Here is the invoice from the install...

Attachments

• Lift invoice.pdf
    741.9 KB · Views: 90

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah, Im not running a 9" wide wheel. Mines 12" wide. I HATE having the sidewall bulged out like that.

Im more interested in having less sidewall, personally, because the truck would handle better. Its not really that bad now but could be better.

@Skew-you might be able to find a point where a 20x12" wheel would clear both the fender and the spring. That particular point might not exist in terms of being able to buy a rim in that offset. So you are stuck in a delicate balancing act. Either buy a skinny wheel for your tires and hope you got the right offset/bs or buy a wheel in whatever width you want and run a 6" lift and clear a 37x13.5 95% of the time. A 20x10 with -24mm offset or a 20x12 with -44 offset would be ideal.

I cant see running anything wider than 12.5 on a 9" wide wheel. Id probably still use a 10" for that.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not 4" lift. Might not rub on the leafs, but the outer edge will get intimate with the bumper and fender.

This is the biggest part, imo!!

My buddy, KyleKleinss at psn, has a e99 f350 sc/lb with a 2.5" leveling kit and 35x12.5 toyo mt's on stock wheels and it rubs the spring like a BITSH!! Its waaay worse than my 37's with a 6" lift, well, because mine only rub if I hit a ditch or the bottom of a hill at moderate speed WHILE trying to turn SHARP. If Kyle were to buy aftermarket wheels that were wider or low offset he'd be shredding fender. I dont see how another inch of lift and two inches of tire would make any of that better?:shrug:

roachie

Reaction score
I know one of my friends had a 6" with 37x13.50's on a leaf sprung truck with no rubbing under a suspension cycling. So I'm thinking that the backspacing is key here.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Maybe I will just throw a set of 38's on this time, just so all the naysaers can continue to believe it can not be done on a 4" lift...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maybe I will just throw a set of 38's on this time, just so all the naysaers can continue to believe it can not be done on a 4" lift...

Thats one truck.

My friends truck, e99 f350 sc/lb has a 2.5" leveling kit on it and 35x12.5 toyo mt's on stock aluminum wheels and it rubs on the leaf spring like a bitsh!

Going straight you can fit huuuuge tires on a 4 or 6" lift but when you start turning AT SPEED things change. I ran 40s on 16x12's with the 6" lift for three years. They were 15.5" wide too!! That rubbed on the fender and the leafspring when turning at anything faster than 5mph. I could drive normally on pavement. Turn, curves, etc...but get in the dirt and the fender would get chomped.

Hell I could fit 40's on a stock sd if I took the sawzall to the fenders.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
LOL... 200k on my truck and I have never made a turn... Your right, she is a pavement princess...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive got 260k. Whats your point?

I ran 40's on a 6" lift with 12 wides and 15.5 tires. Im not going to sit here and try to tell people its a good useable setup though. Cuz it wasnt. It rubbed when the suspension cycled during turning....UNLESS I WAS ON PAVEMENT.

YOu ever decipher what those mystery 17x9's have for bs that allow you to run oversize tires on your 4" lift? That was your main point earlier I figured you'd have to know since you 'understand geometry'.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ive got 260k. Whats your point?

I ran 40's on a 6" lift with 12 wides and 15.5 tires. Im not going to sit here and try to tell people its a good useable setup though. Cuz it wasnt. It rubbed when the suspension cycled during turning....UNLESS I WAS ON PAVEMENT.

YOu ever decipher what those mystery 17x9's have for bs that allow you to run oversize tires on your 4" lift? That was your main point earlier I figured you'd have to know since you 'understand geometry'.

This is my 5th PSD... all have had over 250k on them when I moved on...

But anyway...

No I have not lost one wink of sleep over the back spacing. When I get new tires next I will look then.

My set up is completely usable, works in all situations both on and off road.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No I have not lost one wink of sleep over the back spacing. When I get new tires next I will look then.

This LOL

I was just givin ya chit. I figure if anybody doesnt mind it'd be you.

I know you had that blue/white obs, because I saw the pics you posted, but what else have you had?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've had a white 95, white and gray 96, White and Blue 97, White E99 and this truck...

All but the 95 have had small lifts with large tires...

I also ran 35's on a 2" body lift on my 1988 yota...

TyCorr

Reaction score
When ya gettin a white 6.4 or 6.7?

I liked the pics of that white and blue one you posted pics of.

I myself have had two. The 2000 that I still have and an 03 f350 of the same configuration as the 2000. Only difference is my 2000 is black and lifted 6" on 37's. The 03 was blue leveled on 35's. Both tan interior lariats. The 03's interior was waaaaaay nicer though. A bench seat that folded down in the middle that had cup holders/console in the armrest. My 2000 is captains chairs and a floor console(yuck!)

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I dont think I will get a new truck for a long time. Both the Excursion and mine are paid for, I can work on them and fix about anything...

Would love to have one, but I'm not paying 40-60k for a truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont think I will get a new truck for a long time. Both the Excursion and mine are paid for, I can work on them and fix about anything...

Would love to have one, but I'm not paying 40-60k for a truck.

Yeah, Id spend around 35k but those 6.4's are usually heavily used or low mileage trucks that spent their life in the service bay at the local ford dealer and finally got auctioned off to a small used car lot.

My truck needs a new bed and the motor leaks more and more oil all the time but those are minor problems compared to 700/month payments and still having reliability issues.

Now that the kids are all involved in activities it'd be somewhat tough to justify spending that much a month on a vehicle!

My truck doesnt need replaced, imo. Just cleaned up. Good for another 260k. LOL

Latest posts

Members online