38r 19 max psi of boost.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
My truck has a 38r Garrett on it only making 19 psi of boost. I put new ceramic bellowed up pipes on it a couple weeks ago because before that it would only make 9psi. I double checked all the bolts and clamps they are all tight. I checked all the boots when I did the up pipes none were tore. Could this be wastegate? How can I pressure test for boost leaks?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Pressurize the system and check for leaks like stated above. If you are tuned you should be making more than that.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
Mechanical gauge and it isn't tuned at the moment it was tuned when the pipes where leaking and made 12psi. What do I need to pressurize the system? How would I build a boost tester?

Project20v

Reaction score
If your wastegate solenoid valve is leaking internally your boost will be low as well. Pull the line off the inlet manifold, cap off the nipple and test drive it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
in other words take the red line off the canister thats on the top back side of the compressor housing and plug it.. most just put it on a inner cooler clamp bolt.. also with no tunes your prolly right where it should be... try the red line thing, put tunes back on it and report back... dieselsite sells a fancy tester.. look at it and maybe duplicate it or build your own style..

live life full throttle

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't have the chip anymore. I will try to unplug the wastegate and see what happens

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I got the case of idiot and sold it to a buddy and he blew his truck up two months later and won't sell it back...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
dam, i guess you did.. ts canned is better then all the tuners... get some custom tunes from one of our vendors.. you'll be happy.. thats if you want... you should be good around 19 psi with a 38r and stock motor. but still should pressurise the system and double check... anytime a intercooler boot comes off it should be done...

live life full throttle

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
It ran pretty good. I think im gonna try the hyrda from php and build me a boost tester tomorrow

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im surprised it will make that much. On a 6" and 37s with no tuning mine would tickle 15psi. The larger tires place more.load on things and allow boost to build easier.

I would say he's fine.and plus a little. Figure a tuned, stock fueled.truck.will max out at 26-28. 30 if you have a truck that will make 300rwhp in a.race.file. Since a stock superduty with ad's will dyno ~180hp with no chip 13+ psi.seems about right for a non tuned ride and a 38r. Remember how pathetic an untuned stock truck is.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
when my truck was bone stock with a tune if would hit 34psi some what easy... but i guess it was never within normal ranges as everyone has stated..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online