38r leaking oil into spider

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Just put a fuel system on the truck, and I kept blowing the upper cold side boot off. Well I take the boot off and it has what looks like oil in the boot, dried it off and reinstalled everything and go for a drive and bam at 30psi pops off again..

Take the boot off again and start the truck and you can see oil coming from the turbo into the intake
The turbo sat on the shelf on its side for a few weeks, wouldn't think that would damage it
Is the turbo bad?
ccv issue? ccv dumps at transfer case

1aabebb44e5269eac6f3de7a5c66dd0e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Layson

Reaction score
Is there a puff of smoke at startup? Sounds like the seal is going bad. It is fixable. If it is under warranty garrett will fix it. Or if you know someone that has a shop they can get it warrantied for you as well. But it will take a couple months to have that done.

I don't know if this is something you can find a seal and replace yourself. I don't think you can.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
No smoke at start up, this is new
I don't think it was doing this before I removed it for the fuel system
This turbo is a few years old, doubt there is any warranty

Layson

Reaction score
As long as the bearing doesn't have any play it will still work fine. Mine got so bad that I was getting a little longer startup and then a little smoke on startup.

Layson

Reaction score
Still the bearing was fine and it was sent back to Garrett and they fixed it. But I was lucky I knew someone with a shop...LOL. Mine is pretty old...LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
put the ccv back in the intake and i bet it stops... mine did that same thing.. 38r's are sensitive to cc pressure..

live life full throttle

David N

Reaction score
You said you kept blowing the boot off...

Mine just did this same thing a couple days ago. Evidently my intercooler has oil in it, and when I blew the boot blew off, somehow it blew oil all back into the spider and all over the motor.

Maybe this is what is happening to yours?

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
You said you kept blowing the boot off...

Mine just did this same thing a couple days ago. Evidently my intercooler has oil in it, and when I blew the boot blew off, somehow it blew oil all back into the spider and all over the motor.

Maybe this is what is happening to yours?

Well I took the boot off, dried everything up and started the truck and I could immediately see oil coming into the spider from the turbo discharge....
Impeller wheel looks dry

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
put the ccv back in the intake and i bet it stops... mine did that same thing.. 38r's are sensitive to cc pressure..

live life full throttle
Ccv has been dumped since I put the 38r on years ago and I haven't seen this before
This just started when I reinstalled everything after the fuel system

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ccv has been dumped since I put the 38r on years ago and I haven't seen this before
This just started when I reinstalled everything after the fuel system

i bet it would have never started if it was left in the intake tract.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Why all of the sudden....
Maybe it's residual

kinda like letting off the skinny abruptly to cause compressor stall.. you where at fu
30 psi when the boot blew, same effect as lifting off the skinny... goes from building lots of pressur to no resistance in a fraction of a second.. kinda hard on stuff when its at full song.. may have put enough stress on it that its seeping out.. put the ccv back to the intake and see what it does after some miles..
thats wicked that it fallows the thin path like that aint it?

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
kinda like letting off the skinny abruptly to cause compressor stall.. you where at fu
30 psi when the boot blew, same effect as lifting off the skinny... goes from building lots of pressur to no resistance in a fraction of a second.. kinda hard on stuff when its at full song.. may have put enough stress on it that its seeping out.. put the ccv back to the intake and see what it does after some miles..

thats wicked that it fallows the thin path like that aint it?

live life full throttle
Yea it is weird, I think I'm going to pull the spider and run it again just to confirm
Maybe it is a ccv issue...

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Pulled the boot today, there was a little residual oil in the boot but the spider was dry
Cranked the truck and no oil coming from the turbo
I guess all is good

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Maybe there was just some oil left in the intercooler from before re routing the ccv?
I put this intercooler in a few years back, an all aluminum end tank
Can't remember if the ccv reroute was before or after that... it was done a few years ago too