38r Perfromance?

jngreen

Reaction score
@jngreen-in the other thread I said with tuning, adding a 38r you will pick up 90hp over stock. So taking a stock truck, that dynos 220ish adding tuning and putting in the 38r would get you 90hp over stock truck. So 310 give or take. That is EXACTLY what garretts claiming too. I did NOT say that simply adding a charger and changing nothing else would gain 90 hp.

As an aside, four wheeler took a lifted 2000 psd that dynoed 225 after they replaced the transmission. Then they took the stock turbo out and added a 38r and picked up 60hp over that base figure.

W/o certain people getting their pink semen-crusted panties in a wad, remember the bb charger, all else being constant flows 33% more air than a stock charger. Now we cant assume that 33% is met with fuel to match the added air. If you run a stock truck with the hottest tune you find there is a substantial amount of smoke. With the 38r not at all...so does that not tell you that you are burning more fuel?

Id say 20% increase in power over a stocker would be totally possible just for the lack of bp and unburnt fuel. THats my two frickin cents.

This is what you said from the other thread.

38r doesnt surge and will lower your egts. It'll also gain you at least 50hp. Sounds bada$$ too. Even with stock sticks.

Not what I was told. Especially if you are already running a tuner. Picks up 90hp on a truck with tuning over stock. Petersens 4wheel did an article with a lifted superduty that had the stock charger and they simply put a 38r in and gained 60hp w/o changing anything else.

Id say it does. My 140hp tunes only haze slightly from a stab vs belching smoke with the stock charger.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

Stock Turbo ................................Garrett Turbo Kit
HP 210whp @ 2700rpm .................290whp @ 3000rpm*
Torque 420lbƒ· ft @ 500rpm ............550lbƒ· ft @ 400rpm*
GTP38R 739619-4

* With performance chip and exhaust upgrade

This was taken right from the Garrett website. The numbers are with a chip and Exhaust upgrade.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

Stock Turbo ................................Garrett Turbo Kit
HP 210whp @ 2700rpm .................290whp @ 3000rpm*
Torque 420lbƒ· ft @ 500rpm ............550lbƒ· ft @ 400rpm*
GTP38R 739619-4

* With performance chip and exhaust upgrade

This was taken right from the Garrett website. The numbers are with a chip and Exhaust upgrade.

It only claims that the 38R numbers are with a chip and exhaust.

forddieselkicksass

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm wondering if the increase 80hp comes with a chip and exhaust upgrade alone. What I mean is, if you add a chip and exhaust that would probably put you around 290hp with the stock turbo too? So therefor the 38r probably doesn't net you much, if at all.

Every truck is slightly different I'm sure too.

The chart is obviously just a guess. Number of miles on injectors and what kind of tune all come into play I'm sure.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You will see slightly lower EGT's, if your chipped now.

You will see slightly quicker spool, if your chipped now.

You will gain about 25-30hp on the dyno if your chipped now.

A stock 2000 with chip, intake, exhaust and such with stock turbo will dyno 290-320 on average.

A stock 2000 with chip, intake, exhaust and 38R will dyno about 320-340 on average...

Hmmm, I'm wondering if the increase 80hp comes with a chip and exhaust upgrade alone. What I mean is, if you add a chip and exhaust that would probably put you around 290hp with the stock turbo too? So therefor the 38r probably doesn't net you much, if at all.

Every truck is slightly different I'm sure too.

The chart is obviously just a guess. Number of miles on injectors and what kind of tune all come into play I'm sure.

Like I said above.

Stock with chip is 290-310
38R with chip is 320-330.

I dont care how you do the math, it is what it is.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
this was in diesel dawgs sig

Ken
99.5 7.3L PSD 4x4
WOP GQSSB Turbo
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
291 hp 585 tq, stock trans/injectors, 38r.
496 hp 985 tq!! BTS/38r/Hybrids 16 Apr 11
13.74 sec in 1/4 mile @ 98.5mph.
PNWFDE#2

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its a great turbo for stock, stage 1 and stage 2 injectors... much above that and its out of its leage.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
So there's not really much of a point in "upgrading" to a 38r?

if your towing by all means this is a really great turbo. having dual ball bearing it spools almost instantly theres a few guys that are slightly above 500hp with this turbo. but i do have to agree with csipsd if your going with stage 3s your will be able to push more with a 42 or another larger t4 flange

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So there's not really much of a point in "upgrading" to a 38r?

Its absolutely an upgrade. That being said, it's not going to increase your hp numbers a lot with stock injectors. It's more for the guys who are tired of surging stockers and hot egts.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah, Im not trying to tell you that its going to turn your truck into a fire breathing dragon. Not at all. With tuning and a 38r your truck will be about 80hp ahead of stock.

My impression of it is that it lights ALOT faster than the stocker and is more responsive at any point in the rpm range. If you have a tuner that runs the stock inj's wide open in the hot tune it'll clean that extra fuel up...there will be literally no smoke or haze.

I had a 100hp chip in my truck for years with a stock turbo and it was quite a bit more power over stock. My PHP tunes and a stock turbo were wayyy more powerful though or at least better at utilizing the stock components to produce power/speed. I can only speak for myself but with a 140hp tune the truck was fairly smoky except from 1800-2300 rpms. Three days after I switched tuning I installed a 38r and an open element filter. My stocker was good too as I just rebuilt in April of 2010. The 38r is a great option even on a stock truck, imo.

Like Joe, csipsd, said its a good choice for up to stage II sticks as well. Esp, with the 1.15 housing.

Im not delusional about what a 38r is. But its a great turbo as a first step away from the stocker and will keep you busy for quite a while at which point you can ditch it for a large single or keep it and add another large, atmospheric first stage charger and have a set of compounds.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Like BlackBetty posted from my sig, i did 291 with stock injectors and DPTunes with a 38R. that about right on what u will see. Anywhere from 290-320, maybe more depending on the tunes

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I dynoed 302 with stock turbo and an ATS housing... IIRC it was on TS tunes, but thats been about 7 years ago.

bruce

Reaction score
i think i did 325 on stock sticks a turbo, 350 on stock sticks, big oil and stock turbo. aint had it on the dyno since the 38r went on

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I did 338hp/889tq in the 120 tune with a stock turbo. I just had exhaust, intake, regulated return fuel, and the tune.

Jody

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
15.40@88 mph @7500lbs 6637/DI tune/muffler delete and a PI Stallion and Sonnax/tricumulator.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
My impression going from stock charger to 38R (both on Stage 1's w/same tunes) was quicker spool which equals larger usable power band and ultimately lower EGT's. With 6spd, I WANT to stand on it at 2000rpm as I hit a grade and see the boost come up without having downshift.

I tow 5ver all over country for work and can say with certainty the 38R is an upgrade! That said, its useless if you're losing drive pressure. So IMHO, upgrading up-pipes should go along with 38R and by the time ya buy bellowed uppies and a new 38R - you're competing with a T4 set-up and nearly unlimited turbo choices from cheap and used to custom and WILD!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.