4" vs 5"

6speedsd

Reaction score
I know this has been debated oer and over, but what I really want to know is this. Is there really that much of a sound difference between the two of them? I've heard 5" is deeper, but is it THAT much deeper than a 4" to justify the extra cost? I'm about tired of the raspyness of stock piping. Ready to upgrade, but can't decide which way to go. I know there is no performance gain by going bigger.

Koda22

Reaction score
If your thinking about it, go ahead and get the 5inch, you will want it down the road any way and it will save you money to get it first instead of buying a 4inch and then buying a 5inch....but as far as how much sound difference I can't really help ya...never heard a 5inch in person I don think

ghohouston

Reaction score
5” sounds exponentially better than 4”, my moms 6.0 excursion has a 4” and I have a buddy with 5” on his 2006, 5” is the way to go

6speedsd

Reaction score
So there really is that big of a difference in sound between the two? I've ran a 4" before and it sounded good, but popped like a mofo at about 2500rpms. The stock piping I have now is almost obnoxious at the same rpms. Best way I can describe it is it sounds like a jackhammer on a tin roof. I'm tired of it. I assume a 5" will still pop, but I want more of a deep tone, which I've heard a 5" will have.

OBS F350

Reaction score
5" ftw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7BbJC8gXgI

That's with just the exhaust, other then that bone stock.. Sounds alot better now with the injectors and tuned. I'll take a video later if you want to hear it now. Sounds much better then my buddys with 4" IMO. It is also louder according to most people, not sure if you care much about that but everyone tells me my truck is stupid loud at WOT lol.

little luke

Reaction score
Huge difference, and what do you mean popping???
With the stock down pipe it will sound like a machine gun firing off. My 5" has a very deep sound, and when I installed a 4" down pipe it actually made the truck quieter when you get into it. It's still louder then hell with the way I have it run though.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I love my 5" and I got the kit for 400$ so I can't complain. It's loud tho whe I was running my stack at the track ppl couldn't believe how loud it was. One thing I have noticed about the 5" is it cackles when the Rpms are up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pistonbully

Reaction score
I got 5 inch MBRP. At idle outside cab im over 80 decibles, WOT outside cab 93 decibles. After adding MBRP muffler delete, At idle Outside cab 90 decibles. IN THE CAB WOT my meter tells me its 113 decibles. That was with windows closed! Just going from MBRP exhaust with muffler, to the MBRP muffler delete i gained a huge amount of noise. in the cab and out.

6speedsd

Reaction score
If I knew how to take a sound clip and post with my phone I would. Hard to do by yourself though. "Sounds like a machine gun" quote above about explains it. It's just obnoxious. Roll the back windows down and get on it beside a wall or concrete barrier and its just too much. I don't really care about it getting louder. I just want it to be deeper without all the "popping". I didn't realize there was that much of a difference between the two sizes though.

Steelnc

Reaction score
Went from a 4" dual to a 5" single. 5 is definitely the way to go. Like someone else said save your money and buy the 5 because you'll end up buying one later anyway.

ford rules

Reaction score
Went from 4'' straight pipe to 5'' duals and i love it. Never heard another truck sound quite the same

Latest posts

Members online