40-45 mph hop/vibration issue

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
My '11 has the hop from 45-50 as well. Not that, that helps you out at all but I know there are lots of guys with that issue. I am not sure if anyone has had it totally fixed though.

Lots of folks over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts have this issue. Maybe there is a thread with some helpful info.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So, my truck was at the dealership for the last two weeks for this hop/vibration issue. they said that the carrier was a bit sloppier then it should be and could actually see where it contacted the shroud that holds it in so they replaced it with intentions of it fixing the issue... Not so lucky.. they said ford has absolutely no TSB's or anything on their hotlines or known issues for the hop/vibration issue. they said that it would have to get worse and be pinpointed in order for them to do anything more to fix it.. they swapped out bran new rims and tires from a newer truck on the lot to rule out the rims and duratracs on my truck.. no worky..... so like was stated from, I think CATDiezel, it was brushed off cuz they cant pinpoint it.. sucks ass...

mods, can one of you change the title to this thread to, 40-45mph hop/vibration issue..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It sounds like traction bars are about the only cure for this.
as soon as I get cought up on some bills I will be gettikg getting some. that has been a plan since I did the video of the driveshaft. I can see just from that video how much the pinion angle changes on a hard run. cant imagine that it is better with a load on it.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I have a 40-45mph driveline hop/vibration also. I found it common with 2 piece drive shafts. My truck has over 100k of all tuned miles. Have yet to go through a u - joint.

I just don't drive at that speed lol. Goto a dive line shop and they can probably fix it for you.

Ford won't do ****. Its probably the way the leaf pads are welded onto the axle. Could be a batch that are a degree or two off. if a book from ford doesn't fix it this way, they won't fix it.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have a 40-45mph driveline hop/vibration also. I found it common with 2 piece drive shafts. My truck has over 100k of all tuned miles. Have yet to go through a u - joint.

I just don't drive at that speed lol. Goto a dive line shop and they can probably fix it for you.

Ford won't do ****. Its probably the way the leaf pads are welded onto the axle. Could be a batch that are a degree or two off. if a book from ford doesn't fix it this way, they won't fix it.
I understand but this all happened after Christmas. I thought it was just rough roads from the frost thawing. the hop turns into a vibration at freway speeds.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Everything loosened up...new truck is always tight...
from what I have been reading is that some experience it way soon and some experience it after a few thousand miles.. I have even read a few responses from guys back in 2010 that bought the new 2011s that had issues and that what it boils down to is that ford claims that its the characteristics of the truck. I even read a report that one guy posted that says, vehicle performs as designed!! I want to see the motha ***in writeup that the engineers purposely made these trucks all of the sudden start hopping and vibrating.. so im lost at this point..
OUO FTW.......
is that a suggestion or a fix for the hop/vibration? either way those are the bars I planned on getting from the get go....

RedRice589

Reaction score
from what I have been reading is that some experience it way soon and some experience it after a few thousand miles.. I have even read a few responses from guys back in 2010 that bought the new 2011s that had issues and that what it boils down to is that ford claims that its the characteristics of the truck. I even read a report that one guy posted that says, vehicle performs as designed!! I want to see the motha ***in writeup that the engineers purposely made these trucks all of the sudden start hopping and vibrating.. so im lost at this point..

is that a suggestion or a fix for the hop/vibration? either way those are the bars I planned on getting from the get go....

That's the same crap they pulled on the '13 mustangs. Still have it. Cop out.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Hmm hard to say if traction bars are the fix or not. You wouldn't think there would be much axle wrap at a 40-45mph cruise. The truck is almost at idle running 6th that speed.

MossBack

Reaction score
ford updated my dads 2012 for a vibration after towing heavy with a new rear drive line. I can find out the TSB# if you would like. He has had issues after 20,000 miles and Ford even installed a new TQ in 2013.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ford updated my dads 2012 for a vibration after towing heavy with a new rear drive line. I can find out the TSB# if you would like. He has had issues after 20,000 miles and Ford even installed a new TQ in 2013.
yes please. that would be great!! is it srw or drw? not sure if that matters much but I am sure its something ford will argue.

been driving it on the freeway for the last hour and the vibration is worse then it was before. yay!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine does it with traction bars, although my hop is higher speed mainly now (65-70)... :fustrate:
poopy. the more people post that their trucks do it proves that there is a ***in flaw and to ford it makes it "normal" to do so.. guess you could say that mine just continues to hop the faster you go but its hopping so fast that it turns it into more of a vibration.

I dont get how this issue, in anyones eyes, is normal! mine started this hop within the last 8k miles or so and im close to 31,500 miles on the odometer now...

gfulton

Reaction score

I thought it might be a fix for your problem. It sure smoothed out my shifts.