466 in an obs

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
I did some searching and not much came up. I've been tossing the idea around for a while. What all is involved I would be using an earlier p pump model. my questions are will a 7.3 trans bolt to it or would a custom adapter plate be needed and how much would the firewall need to be modified.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Put a 12v in. Much more reliable and easier on the truck weight wise. Also iirc the ones I have seen had to have the firewall cut all to hell to make it even go in.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I did some searching and not much came up. I've been tossing the idea around for a while. What all is involved I would be using an earlier p pump model. my questions are will a 7.3 trans bolt to it or would a custom adapter plate be needed and how much would the firewall need to be modified.

You will need an adapter plate to mate it up to a 7.3L tranny (4r100/ZF), I believe the one Carson has for a dt360 would be the correct one to use on a 466. Your going to have to either run the radiator in the bed like a mud bogger or doghouse your firewall like a van/med duty to fit. They are rather long length wise. Weight is around 1400lbs IIRC & they hold around 26qts of oil. In other words it won't be a street driven truck anymore. Now for an exhibition pulling truck or a bogger on rockwells & tractor tires it has a huge "cool" factor.

This truck used to have a mechanical DT466 before going back to a 7.3L - P Pumped 7.3L

Powersnorter (Frank) built that truck with a 466 years ago & could tell you anything you wanted to know about it.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
A guy named house(i dont remember how to spell his last name) on one of the forums put a 466 in his sled truck. Worked great. Check the org, and possibly CompD. I think you will find him there, and might have a better idea on what your looking at. His 466 sled truck was like a 99-03.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I wanna stay away from those I want something different everybody swaps a cummings in and I can get a 466 a whole lot cheaper.

I agree. I hate doing the same things every body else does, I try to avoid it when ever possible. I think its a great idea. Hope you can pull it off.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I wanna stay away from those I want something different everybody swaps a cummings in and I can get a 466 a whole lot cheaper.

DT360 can be had for the same or less than a 466, hair longer than a 5.9L Cummins so it fits without any crazy modifications. Little bit of work it will anything you need it to do. :pimp:

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I read an article in DP a while back that talked about a guy that did a DT360 swap in to a PSD. Said the DT360 is a bit stronger than a cummins.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I only say 360 because I've seriously considered installing a 466 into my 97 as well. After all the research I would opt for the 360 just because it will fit without going nuts with a hammer & sawzall to the firewall as a 466 will. I concluded that if mine ever gets damaged to the point that it isn't road worthy anymore I will be stuffing 5 tons with tractor tires & a mechanical 466 into it & making it a toy.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Can a 466 fit? Sure can with a lot of work. There are a hand full of exhibition pulling trucks with a 466 installed - it just takes a lot of cutting, welding, and sacrificing to make it happen.

Maybe I can get Corey (Pipewhiner???) over here to talk about his 360 swap using Carson's parts. I'm pretty sure the magazine article was his truck anyway.

Pipewhiner

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party guys and yes the blog post was my truck. I was never offered a true article although it wa rumored to occur. Any questions just holler. We should consider the 360 stuff "our" parts as I fronted the R&D costs for the adapter plates lol. The truck is a pleasure to drive and everyone who gets behind the wheel loves it as well.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
jimdawg is doing a DT360 in his excursion, i know its different body. but it should be pretty bad, ive talked to him about his build a few times.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Corey's truck is a monster to drive, I love that thing.

And my dt360 has been a long time coming, but its getting close to the downhill side of the build.

I am always willing to help. Don't hesitate to PM me or text my cell
616-460-9949.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
allright bringing this back from the dead. been following a build on diesel bombers of a guy swapping a 466 into a ih travelette. so it got me thinking again ive been comparing the dt360 to the dt466. the major differences are about 200-300lbs weight difference and about 4 inches in length the wieght doesnt bother me the length does a little. i have been following swamp rats 360 swap in his obs no firewall mods radiator in stock location with enough room to possibly slide in a 6.0 fan. so i thought its only a 4 inch length difference why couldnt the radiator be slid forward a little to inside the core support. should still have enough room for an ic between it and the grill. with little to no firewall mods and use an electric pusher fan setup seems like it all should work in my head. what are everyones opinions?

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
swamp ratts truck is super tight up to the rad and front of the motor. you wouls have to do some firewall mods but id rather got that way than moving the rad into the core support

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.