6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

mortal798

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool idea, I am able to get you the Ford wiring diagrams for the 6.4 VGT actuator - but I'm not sure about the schematics for the electronics inside...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Guys, just a little background...

I've been talking to Jon (OP of the thread) over the last week or so giving him dozens of reasons to NOT do this project, but he is determined. He can score a stock set of 6.4 turbos cheap enough and has most of the hard parts to do this already. I think the biggest thing is going to come down to the tuning and the VGT control.

It's certainly not something I would try at this point, but maybe he will break through on this, he's pretty determined.

That said, I wish you luck Jon.

I agree, a 58V FICM isn't going to clean up larger sticks any better than a 48V. In fact I'd think it'd be worse if anything.

So the big turbo is a 65mm, with a tight housing. I'd stay under 205's personally, or go 205 with a small nozzle like a 50% (just read about someone doing that recently), that way you can just upgrade nozzle size if you want to go much bigger. Myself, I'd probably go 190/100%. That should be more than enough fuel for those chargers, based off of what the 6.4 guys are doing.

mortal798

Reaction score
Here's the wiring...

Attachments

• 6_4L VGT Actuator Wiring.jpg
    6_4L VGT Actuator Wiring.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 152

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Whats going to be interesting, is the fact that all the intercooler tubing is going to be a mess.. remember which sides are hot and cold on a 6.4 do NOT correspond to a 6.0. So either you'll be feeding through very oddly.. Im interested in seeing this.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Is there any reason you can't feed through the intercooler backwards? It's just a big radiator right? FWIW, I've never seen the INSIDE of one so I'm just spitballing here...

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
pretty sure you can back feed an intercooler, hot and cold side just means whether the air it hot or col it doesnt matter which side it comes from.

mortal798

Reaction score
According to that wiring diagram, the VGT on a 6.4 is controlled by a signal from the PCM. The PCM duty cycles the actuator by a command sent over the CAN network, which is then interpreted by the actuator and turned into physical movement.

How are you going to accomplish that without a PCM that has specific software for a mechanical VGT actuator? I know that 6.0 VGT is oil pressure controlled, could you take the signal for the VGT oil control valve and translate it to what you need? Maybe... but that is a hard wired component. The 6.4 actuator is decoding a signal sent over a high speed data bus...

Anybody have any thoughts?

Mdub707

Reaction score
No, that's exactly what I told Jon earlier this week, it's over my head, and I just don't have the time/desire to look into it further, hopefully he can figure it out for us... LOL

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Intake piping is least of my concern right now, but it will be interesting to see filter location/relocation.

Kris,
Thanks for the image, however it is too small to see anything... What I need to figure out for the VGT is the voltage/ohms or whatever it is that changes to tell the actuator what to do. Or maybe at least which pin on the VGT connectors do which function, and I can read the outputs from both engines... That could work.

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. Those things are great to help understand these confusing machines...

Redneck,
I'm guessing you're using compounds in your truck? Do you have a picture of your configuration that you would be willing to share? Might help me visualize how I will do my setp.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Looks like parts are complete.

6.4 Turbo's
6.4 Pedestal
6.4 turbo oil supply lines
6.4 Intake manifold
6.4 up pipes

Anything else you guys can think of that I may need from a 6.4 for the project? Or any other significant parts other than CAC piping I am missing?

Jon

redracer62

Reaction score
Looks like parts are complete.

6.4 Turbo's
6.4 Pedestal
6.4 turbo oil supply lines
6.4 Intake manifold
6.4 up pipes

Anything else you guys can think of that I may need from a 6.4 for the project? Or any other significant parts other than CAC piping I am missing?

Jon

The rest of the truck lol. J/k.

I'm excited to see someone do it. Good luck man!

mortal798

Reaction score
The problem you will have is with the VGT. The actuator doesn't get voltage and ohm changes to make it operate. It gets a command over the network and internally converts the network command to an output.

To make it work you need to send it a command over the network. There are only 4 wires according to the diagram. Power, ground, and BUS+/BUS-. The data bus carries the command to the actuator frm the PCM. Without being able to copy that command, it won't work.

How are you goingto do that without a 6.4 PCM?

fat-fingered from my EPIC 4G

Mdub707

Reaction score
Almost need some form of a stand-alone controller for the turbo's themselves. Then the 6.0 PCM would act just like it would with a non VGT turbo right? That could get tough...

Jon, didn't we read somewhere that Fleece offered some sort of controller for the 6.4 turbos, or am I making that up?

Mdub707

Reaction score