6.0.4 revisited

Would you put 6.4 compounds on your truck?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Sleep on it.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Not going to waste my brain cells on this one.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The juice isn't worth the sqeeze!

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • My truck already has 6.4 compounds!

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Either I'm bad at reading comprehension or the awnsers I keep getting are not awnsers just that the 6.0 and 6.4 plug in differently

I seriously doubt the duramax uses lpo to move the veins yet that turbo with some work will plug and play. Why not modify the existing mechanism to work? Reguardless of how it is controlled electric or by a hydraulic ram. If you were to pull what the 6.0 uses off the 6.0 turbo could you not then use the 6.0 mechanism to control the 6.4 vgt? And toss the stuff previously used by the 6.4 turbo setup?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
the duramax uses a vane position sensor to set vane position. you cant just simply pull the stuff off the 6.0 turbo, its all integrated into the housing and center section. Sure you could pull the vgt solenoid out of it, but that wont do you any good because 6.4 vgts dont use a solenoid like the 6.0 does.

have you seen a 6.4 vgt in person?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Randy, it's hard to explain but it is a wildly different setup. Before I got into this I thought the same. Just swap mechanicals, but it is far beyond that... Once I get the new turbo in my hands I am going to play doctor and tear them both down both mechanically and electronically. I will report back with my findings but it may not be for a couple weeks.
Jon

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Honestly I haven't had the turbo off of my own truck off. Or any of the others, I've seen pictures of them, and dissasembled a few turbos just not the specific ones in question. I'm I guess having a hard time with them both being vgt turbos and not being able to retrofit some kind of control that would mimic the 6.0 electronically and function the 6.4 turbo mechanically if that makes sense

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Randy, ultimately that's what I would like to achieve without the use os a $900 controller and god knows how much in installation and live tuning. I would like to hook the stock 6.0 plug into the 6.4 VGT so that the 6.0 PCM thinks it still has the same turbo hooked up.

Whether this is actually pheasable or not, I won't know till the 6.4 turbo arrives. Hopefully late this week/early next week.

As far as using the hydraulic setup from the 6.0 on the 6.4 turbo, i would imagine that piping the oil to the piston would be a real pain in the @$$. Where with the 6.0 it is all built into the housing. Might be worth a look tho.

If my assumption is correct about the 6.0 actuator it is controlled by voltage, where the 6.4 basically has a USB cord between it and the PCM telling it what to do. So we are talking about two totally different animals as far as electronics are concerned.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So the turbo I was originally going to buy doesn't have an actuator mounted to it, apparently the guy sold it off the turbo that unit has 75k miles on it. I have another turbo on standby that has 150k miles on it, but does have the actuator.
My end result might ditch the stock actuator anyhow... What is everyone's thoughts?

-Jon

MorganY

Reaction score
So the turbo I was originally going to buy doesn't have an actuator mounted to it, apparently the guy sold it off the turbo that unit has 75k miles on it. I have another turbo on standby that has 150k miles on it, but does have the actuator.
My end result might ditch the stock actuator anyhow... What is everyone's thoughts?

-Jon

Let me look tomorrow. I may have an extra actuator laying around that you can have

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Just an update,
Intake manifold and turbo pedestal arrived the other day. Feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas day...

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Ok so everything is on its way... I have been thinking about the downpipe though. My original plan was to modify the existing 6.0 downpipe to work with the 6.4 turbo's. Any body seen the lower end of a 6.4 downpipe. I know there is a lot more BS at the other end on a 6.4, but if it will work with little/no modification that would be awesome. If I get the chance I will try to take a look at my buddy's truck today. Any input would be great though.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of compound setups in a 6.0? I was hoping for a visual aid. Trying to figure out if I need to relocate my filter box or not.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Most 6.0s that I've seen running compounds don't have both of them up in the valley, so pictures of those won't help much. I'd be shocked if the 6.4 down pipe mated up but it'd probably be worth checking out anyways

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Hey Mike, all of the pictures of 6.0 compounds that I have seen the turbo's are up in the valley, strange. My logic with the downpipe is: it will probably be easier to modify the lower half of the 6.4 downpipe to fit my existing exhaust setup, than it would be to have to modify the upper end of my 6.0 downpipe to fit the 6.4 turbo's. In no way do I expect it to just bolt up.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Usually the secondary is up the valley in the stock location still and the primary is sitting in the passenger side fenderwell. It could be done with both in the valley, but it'd be tight. It has been done both ways. I think Ellertons truck had an S510 sitting up in the valley if I remember right, but he had to grind part of the intake manifold down!? I think... my memory sucks. Most just put the primary in the fenderwell and run the downpipe out through the fender. This would not be great for you or I because of where we live, can you imagine the road salt getting in there with the inner fender cut out? It's going to be TIGHT up in the valley, but luckily your turbo setup is already made for that. I'd imagine the filter setup is going to be custom regardless for this.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Industrial is the only one that I could find quickly. I know Shawn and Tyler use to do them similar. Most people have moved to the fender mount for the primary (large low pressure). These set-ups can use the stock filter (although I don't think Shawn did), but with the way the 6.4 turbos are set up, I think your stock airbox will be a thing of the past...:slap:

6_0%20Twins(2).jpg

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Trusted perf also has them atm in the valley, pita to work on, but its way different than a 6.4 turbo setup if you ask me

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So I am looking into a donor engine to build this setup onto. Then swap the engine's when all is complete. My local diesel mechanic has a 6.0 that has a burned up piston, complete engine. He is swapping a 5.9 into the truck for his customer. Any suggestions on how much $$$ I should offer?

strokin6L

Reaction score
even if you get this setup to fit in the engine bay and the hood to close...you're gonna be screwed to get the turbo's to run properly. This idea has been talked to death. If it could be done...it would already be done. I think your project will come to a screechin hault after you get it all in the truck. Good luck tho....prove me wrong!

Latest posts

Members online