6.0 Build Thread

Extended Power

Reaction score
PLEASE back up one step.....remove the torqued down head, and throw away the VR, (Black Onyx) head gasket.
Go to Ford and buy a set of OEM head gaskets......save yourself the pain of having to do the head gaskets again.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
PLEASE back up one step.....remove the torqued down head, and throw away the VR, (Black Onyx) head gasket.
Go to Ford and buy a set of OEM head gaskets......save yourself the pain of having to do the head gaskets again.

Yea why in the world would you use a black onyx headgadket on a built race motor

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Eric, Mike, You guys may consider a set of OEM gaskets like stated above. The BO gaskets change A LOT of things and reliability is not their strong suite... Just friendly advice :)

DMAX

Reaction score
We are very aware of the VR gasket issues, but right now is mostly hearsay to us. We haven't directly seen a truck with BO gaskets that have failed. So we consider this a pretty good test for these gaskets. This truck has run nothing but BO gaskets for the last 60k miles with no issues. We did do HG's last April but found 2 cracks in each head. The previous gaskets were tested pretty well too, several pulls, several runs down the strip with the 285/150's, a 66, and some spray. When these let loose... If we are not impressed we will throw OEM gaskets in there. Until then we are going to give them a hell of a trail

-Eric

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
From one brotha to anotha brotha..... Please don't. You will be replacing valves, pushrods, possibly even pistons if things go south. The BO gaskets are .005-.010 thousandths thinner then stock. It's not if, it is when. Headache,hassle, and money will be all that comes from it.

**on edit- Its .010-.020 thousandths thinner, crushed, then stock.**

Last edited:

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I can personally tell you at 1000hp our first pass blew gaskets and hydro locked the motor... I wouldn't do it you will also have valve indents in pistons

STROKER

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys! I have to go to ford tomorrow to pick up a few push rods, I'm gonna pick up some head gaskets while I'm their.:thumbsup:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mike, not to hijack, but is a 1klb engine stand enough for a 7.3? I wanna yank mine but im not solid on what I need.

STROKER

Reaction score
I wouldnt risk it, i would buy the 2000lb one from harbor freight its only $130

Latest posts

Members online