6.0 diag need help

wiseguy

Reaction score
I have a problem child I am having a hard time figuring out. back gound truck s an 04 f550 service truck with abut 200k on it but has ton of hours pto has over 16,000 on it. Over all the truck is a turd that has been heavily molested. Anyway truck was towed in crank no start truck has about two pages of dtc's. anyway check fuel pressure 30 psi ficm voltage 26v has 1700 icp relative compression 2%. So i started with the obvious new lift pump blue spring kit and bpd ficm power board also repaired wires to vgt actuator oil switch and eot . Ok re test koeo pass yea! now i got 49.5 v 62 psi fuel hit key fires up well sort of runs rough power balance looks bad miss on several cyl as warms up clears up i ran it down the road over 2500 seem to run pretty bad cant really id specific cly except cyl 3 keeps missing. After i drove it now has contribution codes for cyl 3,5,8 and cam sensor code. So i finally decide it needs a new set of injectors. Ok so i pull it down replace all 8 injectors when i went to replace #7 I noticed the connector was melted ficm connectors are already zip tied so i also installed new ficm harness. I replaced the cam sensor and conector i also had to repair several wires i noticed that were worn down to the copper where they had been rubbing. ok lets try this again koeo pass hit key fires up runs nice smooth down the road runs perfect under 2000 rpm get up to 2500 seems choppy looking at power balance best i can at higher rpm i cant id any specific cyl? only dtc i have is for egr flow p401 i know that's not an issue it does not have a cooler. So I pull out scope and try to look at ckp signal i can see the stutter but looks more like a symptom than the cause signal is there but time changes???? I'm stumped so i start guessing the harness looks bad i already had to repair a ton of wires so i swap the whole engine harness from a parts truck i had while i'm at it i change the ckp sensor. My thought maybe i'm missing something. I go drive it runs perfect well not really as it warms up i notice it gets choppy kinda stutters at high rpm still WTF?? ok no codes 62 psi starts perfect runs perfect cold.. I notice if i rev the engine sitting still in park i can feel it. If i run power balance as high as it will let me it looks like a random misfire.. electrically i changed most of it so i try a different known good pcm off my 04 parts truck and also swapped to different ficm still does it. I also tried unplugging the icp, ebp, map, maf, eot, vgt egr, alternator and throttle plate basically left it down to bare minimum rev it up still stutters.....So now i'm really lost I'm pretty confident i eliminated a electrical issue. Only other thought i had is something in the valve train. Gassers will miss at higher rpm with bad valve spring. but hat is easy to check with vacuum gauge on gas not sure on a diesel. Only other thing i noticed base fuel pressure flickers about 2 psi when it stutters, pressure actually goes up slightly, pressure and volume check good fuel quality seems ok short of sending it to a lab. Any one have any ideas? i Have been working on this for two solid days now i just don't know what else to check.:wtf:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Does kt have enough oil, good oil, factory filter? It could have an oil aeration issue. You didnt say if its an early or late build, but what is icpv koeo?

78f100

Reaction score
Also make sure it's not overfilled with oil. I have had a couple come in way overfilled because of fuel in the oil. At high rpm it can't displace the oil fast enough causing a slight miss, almost feels like it's out of balance. That has happened on 2 different trucks we've had both had leaking injectors.
I know it sounds unlikely but it's hard to tell on the dipstick if and how much it's overfilled when the oil is thinned.

Last edited:

wiseguy

Reaction score
Does kt have enough oil, good oil, factory filter? It could have an oil aeration issue. You didnt say if its an early or late build, but what is icpv koeo?

never thought about oil aeration. oil & filter standpipe and dipstick are all new. I changed the oil when i did the injectors it originally had a Hastings filter and the standpipe was broken. I had hard time getting the dipstick out the handle was broke off and the metal part was down in the tube about an inch, I was able to fish it out and replace it. But I honestly never even thought about aeration. koeo icp is .24v truck is late 04

wiseguy

Reaction score
Also make sure it's not overfilled with oil. I have had a couple come in way overfilled because of fuel in the oil. At high rpm it can't displace the oil fast enough causing a slight miss, almost feels like it's out of balance. That has happened on 2 different trucks we've had both had leaking injectors.
I know it sounds unlikely but it's hard to tell on the dipstick if and how much it's overfilled when the oil is thinned.

15 qt fresh 15w40 dead center of hash marks on the stick. truck had issue before and after changing oil and injectors ect..

webb06

Reaction score
Usually aeration is from overfull oil like said above so if you changed the oil it's possible to rule that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiseguy

Reaction score
still cant figure this thing out!!!! tested at eot sensor location oil pressure hot idle 35 psi 80 @ 2500 notice slight fluctuation at higher rpm maybe due to rpm change?.. put 1/8 barb fitting in with clear nylon tubing idle engine and @ 2500 rpm i don't see any bubbles. i did notice icp voltage fluctuates at higher pressure quite a bit.. Icpv @ idle .82v icp pressure and actual are spot on on acceleration icp 3600 psi but notice voltage fluctuation. so i swapped in different sensor same thing. Truck will still stutter miss with icp disconnected back probe the sensor icp does fluctuate a lot at higher rpm so i swapped in new ipr same thing icp fluctuates quite a bit so i jumper ipr to batt v icpv jumps to 4.7 v @ 1500 but starts fluctuating drops almost 2 full volts!!! engine surge/ miss seems to follow icp v.. So i finally concede something must be wrong with the pump so i pull the turbo pull the cover swap in a known good pump. nope wrong icpv still fluctuates...,.. icp pressure looks ok but voltages seems to fluctuate badly.. Any ideas?????????

webb06

Reaction score
Maybe try another pcm if you have one on a truck you could swap

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
How does the icp pigtail look? Is the white retainer still in it, and the weather pack as well? May try a new pigtail for chits and grins.

wiseguy

Reaction score
How does the icp pigtail look? Is the white retainer still in it, and the weather pack as well? May try a new pigtail for chits and grins.

tried different engine harness ficm icp ipr hpop pcm, truck has same stutter with icp sensor disconnected I have replaced the electrical system.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It idles ok? Does it surge at idle at all? Even a slight fluctuation like50-100rpm? Could be ipr blowing open/closed at times.

wiseguy

Reaction score
:fustrate:idle is perfect. runs perfect till eot starts getting 140+ idle-2000 seems to run perfect. when i get 2500+ rpm acts up under load or in neutral load does not matter. Ipr was my first thought when i seen the icp voltage fluctuation. I stuck a new one in it still runs the same.... I have tested everything i can think of so i swapped just about everything.

webb06

Reaction score
Was this what the truck was originally brought in for?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I had one with a cracked pickup tube once. Did very similar, but would somewhat act up cold too. Does it do it in park/neutral? Overfill the crankcase by 5qts, jack up the ass, get it hot, and rev it up and see if its fixed if it will act up in neutral.

wiseguy

Reaction score
It does act up in neutral, only acts up warm. I will try that.. Air makes sense but didn't see any bubbles I will try it in the morning

wiseguy

Reaction score
Well its fixed but still cant find the problem..... Pulled it tore it down lifters good, base compression ok not perfect 45 psi variation, couple rockers pretty worn engine had replacement heads, one pushrod was rubbing on the rocker carrier. witness mark on one piston from valve, pulled heads down valve guides shot,springs good, lpop perfect bores needed .020 to clean couple rod bushings pretty worn, bearings look good, oil pickup ok, upper oil pan gasket looked good, looked like regular old worn out 6.0.... So bore, hone, polish crank, resurface heads guides,new bearings, new .020 pistons, new valves , push rods,lifters, oil cooler, lpop, gasket set, studs, reassembled it runs perfect.. WTF??????????????? the valve train was worn out but i have seen much much worse i tore the thing down to bare block... Worn yes but why was it running so bad?????? only at higher rpm

Latest posts

Members online