6.0 ECT/EOT question

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Jarrod I was telling Keith (dentexpowerstroke) that I have been seeing almost a 11* delta lately myself and I cant explain it. I Usually run a 7* delta max going 70 highway driving. I changed my oil (same brand and type as usual) changed my coolant filter and bam the deltas seem to be off. I am still on the factory oil cooler and have not used tap water. He and I just chucked it up to the different ambient temps than the summer.

Lastnight it was 42 degrees ambient and i was running 75mph with a 6 degree delta max again, Today it was 62 and running 70 with a 9 degree delta.

I guess summer heat it runs closer deltas and winter cold it runs closer deltas but anything in between its crazy off from normals.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I wash just thinking, didnt you have a coolant flush a while ago Jarrod? If you did it probably knocked some crap loose and it finally found its way to the oil cooler.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I had the engine flushed in June from ford and a week or two later changed the cooler.

I'm still trying to figure out if its tstat related or not.
Glued to my phone

rray37375

Reaction score
New here to the forum, I can relate my experience with my 6.0.

I moved to the mountains of Tennessee, and not long after put in a ScanGauge II to monitor coolant/oil temperature delta. At first, I was right at 15 degrees, right on the edge. Having to climb a mountain to get home everyday, I was observing delta while climbing the Monteagle grade of nearly 30 degrees. I knew it was only a matter of time, and sure enough, the EGR cooler failed last week. The Beast is now at the shop, where a Sinister Diesel EGR cooler, ARP head studs, new gaskets and new 4 inch exhaust. Since the cab was coming off the chassis anyway, I figured it was time to get all of the parts I wanted done in one fell swoop.

Should have the truck back the first week of December.

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
Yeah I know 11* is in spec but my truck is my child lol. It was recently in the body shop getting a fender replaced due to a tire failure and I went by everyday to check on it lol. If I ever see a 15* or 20* delta I might just have a stroke.

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
HA HA. Ever been on I40 through Oklahoma? Its hilly highway driving and last summer in 112* heat I was pulling my 30' travel trailer with the cruise set at 75 and never saw over 220 EOT with no more than 212 ECT lol.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
yeah thats what i dont get. i was on a 10+ hr drive up north and back in texas doing 85+ most of the time and didnt see more than 11* deltas in the august summer here.

now its cold out and im seeing 15+

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
It really makes no sense man. I agree. My deltas come back down though when its like 40 or below. I guess they work more efficient at ambient temperature extremes. You truck though makes little sense with the new cooler after the flush and all. :-/

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Jarrod I was telling Keith (dentexpowerstroke) that I have been seeing almost a 11* delta lately myself and I cant explain it. I Usually run a 7* delta max going 70 highway driving. I changed my oil (same brand and type as usual) changed my coolant filter and bam the deltas seem to be off. I am still on the factory oil cooler and have not used tap water. He and I just chucked it up to the different ambient temps than the summer.

Lastnight it was 42 degrees ambient and i was running 75mph with a 6 degree delta max again, Today it was 62 and running 70 with a 9 degree delta.I guess summer heat it runs closer deltas and winter cold it runs closer deltas but anything in between its crazy off from normals

now im making the connection lol

It really makes no sense man. I agree. My deltas come back down though when its like 40 or below. I guess they work more efficient at ambient temperature extremes. You truck though makes little sense with the new cooler after the flush and all. :-/

yeah. oh well. im just gonna drive it anyway. YOLO LOL

its back on stock so the trans can be happy again and maybe better engine temps. the tune ficm helps on the stock start ups lol.

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
HAHA just now making the connection huh? lol But it might explain alot lmao:pointlaugh:

You are more daring than me, I follow YOLO but when it comes to my truck, he gets the white glove treatment lol.

GatorBaitR6

Reaction score
Depending on how old ur thermostat is it could be leaking by... The casting sand is murder to the coolant system... Should get a coolant filtration system... They're pretty cheap and easy to install worth the money... Idk if uve read much but ford gold coolant is not very friendly with our trucks... Mine never gets above 190 unless I'm beating her... Never seen oil temps above 200 normal driving unless towing or clogged cooler that I had...

Jarrod B

Reaction score
HAHA just now making the connection huh? lol But it might explain alot lmao:pointlaugh:

You are more daring than me, I follow YOLO but when it comes to my truck, he gets the white glove treatment lol.

the 20k i put on this truck this year so far have been hard miles. idk why it isnt giving more issues yet.

i drove for a few months with the 25+ deltas in early summer, went through a wif light for over a month and the injectors took a good dose of diesel clean in higher than normal quanities,(turned out to be a dirty sensor), i drive like i stole it most of the time.

but i keep up the maintenance so its taken care of. i went back to stock to help prolong it till i get stuff paid off. then retune it with a hotter tune and finish em off lol. get the hg and cooler done next year and then a trans rebuild, and ill be back at it lol.

Last edited:

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Depending on how old ur thermostat is it could be leaking by... The casting sand is murder to the coolant system... Should get a coolant filtration system... They're pretty cheap and easy to install worth the money... Idk if uve read much but ford gold coolant is not very friendly with our trucks... Mine never gets above 190 unless I'm beating her... Never seen oil temps above 200 normal driving unless towing or clogged cooler that I had...

was replaced back in march or april this year with a new oem tstat from sunrise.

when the cooler was working in the summer, highest i saw water wise was 225. but now in this weather im seeing 186-192 ect.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
My delta's haven't changed any :thumbsup:

Still 9-12* At highway speeds

dude...houston people dont count!

jkjk :toast:

this past weekend to dallas and tyler it did keep it under 15*. but i thought the engine running at 188-190 the whole time was too cool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online