6.0 oil consumption.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Ive got a 05 6.0. Bought the truck with a bunch of miles on it. 330k+ at this point. I dont have much of a service history on the truck. It currently has arps a 4" tb exhaust and a edge evo tuner as the mods i know of. I noticed the oil was low one day while messing with it. I added about 2.5qts. About 3 tanks of fuel later 300 miles per tank so probably 900 miles it again down 2qts. Im about to do a oil change on the truck but have been endlessly searching for steps to figuee out the oil consumption issue. So far it seems that the turbo, injectors, worn valve guides or worn out rings could be the issue. How would a verify which of the causes is the most likely to be the culprit?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check for external leaks first obviously. Check the air filter too, 7.3s were notorius for getting a plugged air filter and sucking oil from the crancase to continue to run, which in turn smokes blue like hell as its buring all the oil its sucking up. When checking yhe air filter, actually check it, dontrely on the lying ass filter minder. Then i would check the turbo, unbolt the downpipe from the turbo, and see if any oil is present. Not quite sure how injectors could cause it, so we'll skip that. Last, and the most difficult, would be to run a manual compression and leak down test to determin if the bottom end is good or not.

valvetick

Reaction score
Check for external leaks first obviously. Check the air filter too, 7.3s were notorius for getting a plugged air filter and sucking oil from the crancase to continue to run, which in turn smokes blue like hell as its buring all the oil its sucking up. When checking yhe air filter, actually check it, dontrely on the lying ass filter minder. Then i would check the turbo, unbolt the downpipe from the turbo, and see if any oil is present. Not quite sure how injectors could cause it, so we'll skip that. Last, and the most difficult, would be to run a manual compression and leak down test to determin if the bottom end is good or not.

If the O-rings internally in the injectors are bad it will burn off some oil but then it would smoke as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok thanks man, that isnt very common though i guess, i havent seen one yet. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

valvetick

Reaction score
Ive got a 05 6.0. Bought the truck with a bunch of miles on it. 330k+ at this point. I dont have much of a service history on the truck. It currently has arps a 4" tb exhaust and a edge evo tuner as the mods i know of. I noticed the oil was low one day while messing with it. I added about 2.5qts. About 3 tanks of fuel later 300 miles per tank so probably 900 miles it again down 2qts. Im about to do a oil change on the truck but have been endlessly searching for steps to figuee out the oil consumption issue. So far it seems that the turbo, injectors, worn valve guides or worn out rings could be the issue. How would a verify which of the causes is the most likely to be the culprit?

Does the truck have a lot of blow by? Flip the oil fill cap over on the fill tube while running and see if it blows off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiseguy

Reaction score
valve guides on a diesel are under pressure on both intake and exhaust side so not likely the cause oil consumption guides will normally cause little smoke on start up but not any significant consumption. rings can and will cause that amount of consumption but will cause significant loss in compression. Normally a ring is stuck in the land and scores the cyl wall compression test will show low cyl, relative compression usually down more than 4% actual will be off more, not common but does happen, Most likely turbo let it idle for about 30 minutes shut it off let it cool pull down pipe check the turbine housing see if the soot is dry powder like or black slime. 330 k is not a lot of miles on short block i have one with over 700k i pulled it down little over 600 on it the valvetrain was all bad but bottom was actually surprisingly good i changed the rings and bearings rebuilt the heads all new seals back in running to this day

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I do see some hint of blue smoke on start up. If it sits in the driveway is drips a little bit probably the sized of a quater or half dollar stain if it sits there all day. (It normally parks in the street) i havent done the blowby test but will get to that. The truck has a billet fill cap that weighs about as much as a que ball but i will grab the one off my 06. I do know it does blow smoke when running thru the oil fill cap but it was comparible with the ones i found on youtube and dismissed it.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Did the oil cap check today other then vibrating off since the truck was at a angle it stayed in place. Need to do some maintenance related things so ill do a airfilter next. Havent had the time to pull the down pipe loose to check for oil there

Latest posts

Members online