6.0 reduced compression pistons.

swinky

Reaction score
Does anybody have any knowledge on early 6.0 pistons? My 2003 has a different part number piston than all the other years and is apparently reduced compression. I'm wanting to know how significant the drop is. Starting to make sense why my 03 is so laggy with the 66 but has always made better than average power up top. The part number is even followed by "rc" for reduced compression I'm guessing.

Should help save rods too right?

Thanks as always guys.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
That is an interesting observation. Do you have a Dyno graph? I wonder if it looks like mine.... Which is way different than everyone else's.

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
I highly doubt the rc means reduced compression. The last two numbers always change with revisions. I believe the first two are vehicle and year specific, and the middle is the generic base number.

swinky

Reaction score
Look at this then

Standard 6.0 piston on top

Mine on bottom. The bowl on mine is definitely larger

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417380326132.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417380326132.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417380381022.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417380381022.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 92

swinky

Reaction score
Unless otherwise noted, the serial number cutoff for the following changes is 6155637 for engines built in Indianapolis, IN, and 0094580 for engines built in Huntsville, AL. The build date cutoff for the following changes is September 29th, 2003.

• New, more efficient piston bowl (combustion chamber) design introduced to improve emissions.*
• Glowplug shortened by 1.2 mm to coincide with new piston design. Do not use 2003 MY glowlplugs in a 2004+ MY engine; glowplug to piston contact will occur

swinky

Reaction score
I highly doubt the rc means reduced compression. The last two numbers always change with revisions. I believe the first two are vehicle and year specific, and the middle is the generic base number.
No dyno graph but checkout how different the bowl is. I'm going to cc the chambers next week and see if I can come up with a compression ratio difference.

I'll Mic them and make sure the height is the same as well.

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
I'm not arguing the difference in piston bowls, just merely that the rc probably doesn't stand for reduced compression in fomoco's eyes.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
Does anybody have any knowledge on early 6.0 pistons? My 2003 has a different part number piston than all the other years and is apparently reduced compression. I'm wanting to know how significant the drop is. Starting to make sense why my 03 is so laggy with the 66 but has always made better than average power up top. The part number is even followed by "rc" for reduced compression I'm guessing.

Should help save rods too right?

Thanks as always guys.

When you say it's laggy at the bottom and above average power up top, are you gauging by your butt dyno or an actual dyno? If you have been on a dyno what numbers were you producing with your setup?

swinky

Reaction score
Butt dyno. Thought about though and I don't think it's the piston design.

All though I am really interested to see what somebody more experienced thinks about pros and cons of the two bowl designs.

Latest posts

Members online