6.0 surge please help

snoracerx

Reaction score
If the problem is intermittent like mine I would look at the icp

I replaced my pigtail tonight truck seems better no surge but I need dine more seat time to verify for sure but I think I finally found it

Sent from my iPhone

weazel

Reaction score
If the problem is intermittent like mine I would look at the icp

I replaced my pigtail tonight truck seems better no surge but I need dine more seat time to verify for sure but I think I finally found it

Sent from my iPhone

I had intermittent surge on my truck, it turned out it was the FICM, it started off not so bad, the day I parked the truck for safety reasons, it was surging so hard it was pushing through the brakes and charfing black smoke like I was a cummins guy trying to start a race, popped a P0611, it never popped the code until that day, but it had been doing it for a few weeks

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

reilly8282

Reaction score
It is an intermittent misfire. It only happens warm. The truck fixes itself, raises the icp by opening the ipr then it wi start easing icp down and start the misfire again. Ill check icp thanks.

drof7404

Reaction score
6.0 surge

Two things make sure you have correct ficm voltage above 47 and if you replaced you ipr valve did you make sure and remove the screen also. After buy my used 6.0 it did same thing surge at idle I found the ipr was replaced and they never checked to make sure the screen came with valve

reilly8282

Reaction score
volts read 49, drop to 48.5 and the ipr screen is new, the old one got stuck and I pulled it out and used the rescreen kit. I have an ICP connector and pigtail coming, the little white clip is falling of mind, or coming out of the ICP whichever it is supposed to be on.

snoracerx

Reaction score
volts read 49, drop to 48.5 and the ipr screen is new, the old one got stuck and I pulled it out and used the rescreen kit. I have an ICP connector and pigtail coming, the little white clip is falling of mind, or coming out of the ICP whichever it is supposed to be on.

I'm sure you found the culprit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

reilly8282

Reaction score
Definetly didn't find the culprit, I wasn't positive since mine is a 05 and yours is 04 notorious for the icp harness. I must have a bad injector. I have heard horror stories on contribution test lies, I need to get on the road and on a scanner. Anyone have a good injector for sale? Ill keep this updated.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Nope, even had a questionable wire which was the ref wire. Cranked it up and almost immediately started its cycle of misfiring.

snoracerx

Reaction score
Try and get a video of it and put it on you tube I'm sure we can figure it out

On a side note I just towed with my truck for almost 1k. Ike's not even a hint of a surge truck ran awesome got 15.5 mpg pulling a 20 ft bass boat and four guys I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

reilly8282

Reaction score
I have a "test" injector coming this week. I'm gonna put it in #2 cylinder this weekend hopefully. That's the cylinder that would drop off on the graph when I watched it on a Solus. I will try and get a video tomorrow and post. That's for your interest too. This problem is getting aggravating.

Commandos888

Reaction score
using your scanner watch the icp if its very erratic.HP pump supply Aeration will cause surging. A crack oil pump pick up tube or a worn engine oil pump will also do this.Also can the scanner shut down that number two injector??? see if it has any change.Check that oil rails if you are going to change that injector.the cup's that feed the injector has a o-ring in them that should not be moved or have any play in then.

reilly8282

Reaction score
I watched icp and its within +-5 with desired and the only time it ever jumped was when the ipr raised trying to correct the misfire. It won't throw a code but the CPU acknowledges it and opens the ipr a hair to regain contribution of that cylinder. I have pulled the dip stick multiple times to never find any bubbles. The nipples in the oil rail all moved but were very tight, although I will check again when I pull the rail. The misfire doesn't last long enough to kill the injector and notice if that's the issue. It's more of a rolling misfire/buck that only happens when warm and at idle-1/4 throttle. When you watch all 8 cylinders number two would have a dip in the graph for a split second while the others were level. It comes and goes as if something is cycling it on and off but nothing coincides with it. Doesn't matter if the ac is running or not. It's been very frustrating to track down.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Ok, today I checked my SCT livewire to pull some codes. The truck is still misfiring only warm and I normally just leave my scanguage hooked up and it never shows any codes. With the sct I got a p0272 and a p0278. These are the first codes I have seen in a while since the scanguage isnt that great at reading it. My FICM tests out at a steady 48.5, cranking, idling, on throttle hard anytime I watch it. I have heard stories about the FICM going bad and still putting out correct voltage. I was leaning towards a HPO problem but now with the codes bouncing around but all in the same bank I am leaning towards FICM or Harness issue.

First number 2 cylinder would drop off on a graph while the motor was misfiring.
Today I check codes and get contribution errors for 4, and 6. So the contribution is bouncing around but all on the same bank. Any help would be appreciated. Im either gonna call ed at FICMrepair or try to find someone locally that will let me swap FICMs and see what happens. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online