6.0l Running Rough two contribution codes

reilly8282

Reaction score
Yes I can get to a scanner it may be a few days, could an injector get junked up and then get freed and return to firing? I'm sure it would be an underlying problem with the spool valves. Also when low fuel pressure occurs what are the symptoms? I know it can trash the actuators in the injectors because there isn't anything to push against when the are dry but do my symptoms fit a regulator problem? Thanks

Lassie

Reaction score
With your problem coming and going, I'd check injector wiring real good, all the way to FICM. Also, verify fuel pressure as already said. Also, maybe now is time to do the "blue spring" upgrade for safety.

If you find no wiring issues and have a problem with your actual injectors, it sounds like it may be fuel side related. You may have gotten bad fuel or has it been run out of fuel? Use some stanadyne fuel treatment or start a habit of 2 cycle oil add or whatever you choose, but get some extra lubrication to the fuel half of your injectors.

reilly8282

Reaction score
Never ran out of fuel and use Archoil fuel additive, but will check the harness real well

reilly8282

Reaction score
Mond, Tues, Wed so far no problems. Cleared up and running great. Should I chalk it up to bad fuel?

reilly8282

Reaction score
Ok Atsah still having a slight miss under load and more specifically while not up to full temperature.

A few more details, I recently changed from Mobil1 5w40 with an archoil additive to Rotella T6 5w40 with archoil additive. This is when the problem started about 250 miles ago and the only changes on the truck. It ran fine all winter long. Along with the misfire I also have seem a change in my EOT. Before it would climb to 190*-195* and stay depending on driving. Now it slowly climbs and reaches about 180*-190* but when I come to a stop I see some EOT fluctuations sometimes as low as 165*. Ambient temp about 70*-75*.

Also seem to hear a little more injector chatter than normal. It has always had a slight stiction but this is even at full temp, it just seems like the injectors are starving for oil or fuel and chattering more than normal. Also feeling a little underpowered. Not quite having the umpf it used to have with light throttle input.

Today I am going to try and read fuel pressure and order the blue spring just to eliminated a fuel supply issue.

Any other information or help would be appreciated, Thanks Reilly

Last edited:

Atsah

Reaction score
Ok Atsah still having a slight miss under load and more specifically while not up to full temperature.

A few more details, I recently changed from Mobil1 5w40 with an archoil additive to Rotella T6 5w40 with archoil additive. This is when the problem started about 250 miles ago and the only changes on the truck. It ran fine all winter long. Along with the misfire I also have seem a change in my EOT. Before it would climb to 190*-195* and stay depending on driving. Now it slowly climbs and reaches about 180*-190* but when I come to a stop I see some EOT fluctuations sometimes as low as 165*. Ambient temp about 70*-75*.

Also seem to hear a little more injector chatter than normal. It has always had a slight stiction but this is even at full temp, it just seems like the injectors are starving for oil or fuel and chattering more than normal. Also feeling a little underpowered. Not quite having the umpf it used to have with light throttle input.

Today I am going to try and read fuel pressure and order the blue spring just to eliminated a fuel supply issue.

Any other information or help would be appreciated, Thanks Reilly

Good idea.. When I changed from one oil to another I found the truck to run differently and not in a good way.. Some people have problems with Rotella some don't.. You could be one of the ones that has a truck that doesn't like the stuff.. I would certainly look at fuel pressure, starving your injectors would be death to them in a hurry..

reilly8282

Reaction score
Update... Stock tune still misfire. Drove the truck to full operating temp and misfire disapeared. Ran like a dream, pulled to a red light ECT 190 EOT 192 and EOT dropped to like 160* then took off and it climbed back up.

Got a fuel pressure test guage this morning and its going in as soon as I have a second to check it all out.

So the problem seems to be only up to full operating temperature and then it runs fine. No smoke, full boost.

The EOT fluctuation is baffling me. Ill reply with my fuel pressure asap. Thanks

Lassie

Reaction score
When the missing starts after an oil change, it screams injectors. Remember those one or two oil change intervals that went a little long? Well, it might be time to pay for em. Start reading threads about the oils that help and maybe some addititives that might help when injectors are dying. The only permanent cure is to power balance/cont test and get the offenders out.

I know it sucks and you and I both wish I was wrong, but its part of owning a 6.0. No other engine will make you pay for long oil changes like our beloved 6.0.

There are still a few things you can check first though. #5 and #8 are both on the same FICM plug. Have you checked FICM cold with a meter? and have you checked that FICM plug?

reilly8282

Reaction score
Well I may be paying for someone else mistakes because I changed the oil twice so far, the first time was a week after I bought it and it was Mobil 1 with Archoil oil additive and the second one 3000 miles later with rotella and Archoil additive. I run arch oils fuel additive in every tank. I am well aware of the need to spend $150 on oil and filters instead of a few g's in injectors. I will check the ficm plugs when I test fuel pressure. Thanks

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well I may be paying for someone else mistakes because I changed the oil twice so far, the first time was a week after I bought it and it was Mobil 1 with Archoil oil additive and the second one 3000 miles later with rotella and Archoil additive. I run arch oils fuel additive in every tank. I am well aware of the need to spend $150 on oil and filters instead of a few g's in injectors. I will check the ficm plugs when I test fuel pressure. Thanks

Welcome to the buying a used 6.0 world. Lol

Its a cut throat world

Atsah

Reaction score
I may have missed it but how many miles on your injectors? I had 130K on mine, the only cure to my problems was to replace all 8 and change oil and filter every 4K and fuel filters every 8K.. Updated FPR kit and never a fuel related issue after that..

reilly8282

Reaction score
85,000 miles.. Fresh fuel filters at the original to me oil change about 3,300 miles ago and I plan on changing them after this oil change.

Atsah

Reaction score
I found that 140K to be the normal life expectancy for well taken care of injectors.. By that I mean, Perfect fuel pressure, oil changes every 4K with a good synthetic oil, (I like Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel myself), water seperator emptied every oil change, fuel filter changes every other oil change with the updated filters (4616 pak), All Motorcraft filters, Motorcraft cetane boost every tank, WOT several times per week and FICM voltage above 48V..

If I bought a 6.0 with 85K miles on it (which I wouldn't) LOL and verified that some of the injectors were not up to par and causeing me issues, I would replace them all and religiously stick to the above..

Lassie

Reaction score
I hope I didn't offend you, that was not the purpose. It's just that people who think they are religous about maintenance, learn that 4,000 means 4,000...not the occasional 6000. And if you bought used, yes you are gonna pay for someone elses habits.

Also, I have seen several low mileage 6.0's in your range and less mileage need injectors. If the truck sits, the oil is still aging and breaking down. When a truck is rarely driven, but the oil is changed only on a mileage schedule, it's a recipe for spool valve wear.

reilly8282

Reaction score
So when injectors die, the spool valve gets worn I'm the bore and the clearances are lost correct?? I didn't take any offense I just wanted to be sure we were all in the same page... No problem and I appreciate the help. If it turns into a set if injectors are alliants the only route?? I see warren and renegade's but always hear the customer service issues and I don't want to deal with that. I have no plans in a big build I wanna tow heavy and just have a semi-sporty tunes truck that runs reliably. Haha is that to much to ask. Thanks again. Ill update with what I find.

sootie

Reaction score
So when injectors die, the spool valve gets worn I'm the bore and the clearances are lost correct?? I didn't take any offense I just wanted to be sure we were all in the same page... No problem and I appreciate the help. If it turns into a set if injectors are alliants the only route?? I see warren and renegade's but always hear the customer service issues and I don't want to deal with that. I have no plans in a big build I wanna tow heavy and just have a semi-sporty tunes truck that runs reliably. Haha is that to much to ask. Thanks again. Ill update with what I find.

RCD has injectors on sale right now-awesome deal.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Have you RevX ed it yet? Just saying. No jokes I always seem yo amaze customers over and over with 2 bottles of lille rev its all back to normal with in 24 hours. Just my experience!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

reilly8282

Reaction score
Never tried revX but used Archoil 9100 in both oil changes and their fuel treatment religiously. That big of a difference from Archoil??

Latest posts

Members online