6.4 Buyers Guide

Jhaddox

Reaction score
So even though i hate to admit it, you do hear a lot of people talking about melted down pistons and such...
How often or how come is that issue? Is it just a handful of people, but ALL come to the forums...or is it a pretty common deal?
Also what causes it? Injector issues?

It happens a lot on stock trucks because of regen and the flow to the back cylinders...I've never had a problem personally but it's hit and miss honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
It happens a lot on stock trucks because of regen and the flow to the back cylinders...I've never had a problem personally but it's hit and miss honestly

Oh okay, that makes sense! So a ported intake manifold and a tune should be a possible fix?

Is that an issue that happens all at once or does it get progressively worse over time? With 60k miles on the truck id like to have it happen before 100k haha

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Once a guy owns a 6.4.... where does he start??

Buy an intake
Buy an SCT with Innovative tuning
Buy a dashdaq for gauges
Buy a 4" full exhaust....

sound like a winning combination?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Once a guy owns a 6.4.... where does he start??

Buy an intake
Buy an SCT with Innovative tuning
Buy a dashdaq for gauges
Buy a 4" full exhaust....

sound like a winning combination?

What I would do is drive at least an oil change and then go about what u.said. that way any issues ca. Br addressed before tuning

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
What I would do is drive at least an oil change and then go about what u.said. that way any issues ca. Br addressed before tuning

Good idea!

So the SCT device is discontinued right? So whatever is left in stock is what there is, i better get one ordered before its too late.

Also need to find a dealership to do warranty work with an aftermarket exhaust on it

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Good idea!

So the SCT device is discontinued right? So whatever is left in stock is what there is, i better get one ordered before its too late.

Also need to find a dealership to do warranty work with an aftermarket exhaust on it

You don't need to worry about getting the tuner right away...there's around a min of 10 months supply out there

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Call Rudy's...Done

I know there are plenty of places i could get one. Just making a statement that they were discontinued at the main source.

AFE stage 2 with pro guard 7
SCT with Innovative
Dashdaq
4" flo-pro with bungs included (do i need a downpipe?)

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
What is the consensus on injector cleaner or any additives?

Is there anything out there worth using and how often do you use it? I used Diesel Kleen in my 7.3 and it worked awesome, but this is a totally different beast

smokedout250

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome thread!!! I'm still a little scared Bout looking to buy a 6.4.... But we will see after driving a few! So If you do the dpf delete do you have to do the egr delete right away? I'm looking for a truck that will run like the obs and be reliable!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome thread!!! I'm still a little scared Bout looking to buy a 6.4.... But we will see after driving a few! So If you do the dpf delete do you have to do the egr delete right away? I'm looking for a truck that will run like the obs and be reliable!

No you do not have to delete the EGR ever. But it is recommended from what ive read.

The problem with the 6.4 is..... You wont want to drive the 7.3 after it haha. Youll have 550hp and compounds to keep it smoke free and the driveability is ridiculous.

I would save some bucks and get a 6.0 if your wanting to build your 7.3 up as a toy. Find a 6.0 under 20,000 and make it reliable and then dont mess with it.

Or scrap the building the 7.3 idea and buy a 6.4 to love and enjoy forever haha.

By the way.... get rid of the zf5 haha :thumbsup:

Reaction score

Make up your mind already!

Latest posts