6.4 fuel mileage

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
no traffic on the highway ill get about 17 if im lucky driving 70mph or so. in the city i get 13-14. this is with 37s and 3.73s

towing (depending on load) ive seen the best of 10.2 on average towing almost 16k at 70mph.

idling long periods of time bring down my average mileage per tank.
winter fuel messes everything up

Winter fuel in Commifornia? Isn't it pretty mild all year round where you live?

BFT

Reaction score
Winter fuel in Commifornia? Isn't it pretty mild all year round where you live?

when i head out of state. i saw a big difference in mileage to and from denver and even more so with the elevation in cheyenne.

some parts in cali get up in elevation and snow in the winter. youll get a lot of that fuel also at the pilot and flying j's

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
when i head out of state. i saw a big difference in mileage to and from denver and even more so with the elevation in cheyenne.

some parts in cali get up in elevation and snow in the winter. youll get a lot of that fuel also at the pilot and flying j's

I forget you travel so much.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
The style in which you drive effects mileage more than just being easy on it, fuel conditions(saying no water ect) and being extra cautious with fuel filters, tire pressure ect. Tested this with my TDI me driving I could drive fast and faily aggresive and consistantly get 1-2 mpg more per tank than my ex fiance who drove it like my grandmother. The car had two tires that lost 1-2psi a day and got fuel from tons of places(high traffic respectable brands) just to name a few things. Her problem she braked often (wastes energy) accelerated when there was no need to. If you find yourself using brakes for more than stoping and sudden changes in driving conditions then your wasting fuel. I know bumper to bumper traffic you wanna stay as close to the guy in front of you but unless your coming very close to a light and in a hurry for some reason is it worth the fuel mileage? Don't think I drive slow either because if I have nothing ahead of me that I should slow for I roll on. Normally 9-15mph past limit on clear roads consitantly through most turns and all but I have had the wild hair and pushed it to upwards of 100 on very twisty WV mountain roads lol (in my car, truck, and blazer same area never anyone past 1am'ish). All I am say is these simple things considering how long between fill ups these trucks have can really add up. This would make up the mileage differences some of you are seeing along with other things mentioned above. It's not that some people have freak trucks that get 3-5+ mpg more (saying this is fairly consistant). If your truck is operating properly, mileage should be the same unless 1. road conditions(traffic also) 2. driving habits with respect to City vs Hwy. My best advice would be to be more weary of how you drive as the most fuel saving will be netted with that.

Last edited:

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
WARNING: Above advise is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
yup, start truck, back it out of garage, go fix my to-go-cup of coffee in morning, then get in and go.

no excessive idling, but idle in the morning.

funyun

Reaction score
I've run the spartan 250, h&s 300, and some lower h&s tunes on my truck with s&b intake, 4" DP-back flo pro exhaust and XDP diesel treatment every fill up. I am running 35" trail grapplers with 3.73s. To and from work which is no highway at all I avg about 12mpg and then on highway trips I can get maybe 16. Not sure how some people are getting 19+ mixed and such, doesnt seem possible. I've tried driving many different ways to try and get better mileage with no luck.

Blowby

Reaction score
Make sure your speedometer is calibrated via GPS and hand calculate. I should have some towing numbers up later this week. I had Elite drop the truck down a little and WOP work on the rest of the mods. Feels strong and smooth and drives like luxury car now.

Last edited:

CamTom12

Reaction score
I plug my truck in even in the garage. 150deg right at fire up. Zero idling in the morning. Get in and go.

I don't fit in the garage :(

Plugged in for ~4hrs before crank, hi-idle at 1600rpm for ~10min, and I'm near 140* or so. My winter mileage sucks so bad I haven't bothered checking it.

drservo

Reaction score
All hand calculated- Stock tires on 20's 19.5 HWY, 11-12 town. After 35s 16.5 hwy, 11-12 town. Best ever towing 10K was 9.5

eastern

Reaction score
Just hand calc. mine and getting 12 (at best). But can't keep my truck under 70 on highway and it runs 2300 rpm, 2500 at 80 with 410 gears. Man I have to change these gears.

mortal798

Reaction score
I just filled up this morning. 382.1 miles on the trip odometer, 20.4 gallons filled (there was just over 1/4 showing on the fuel gauge, but the gauge will show empty when there are still 4 or 5 gallons in your tank for the LFOS).

382.1/20.4 = 18.73 mpg.

I drive almost exclusively highway, and unless I'm in a real hurry the cruise is set at 65. Around town I average 15 mpg, and towing 14K about 10.

Stock tires and wheels, DPF/DOC delete, cold air intake, and H&S HD300.

Shootingstar

Reaction score
Just hand calc. mine and getting 12 (at best). But can't keep my truck under 70 on highway and it runs 2300 rpm, 2500 at 80 with 410 gears. Man I have to change these gears.

What year is your truck? Is it a two or four wheel drive?
I have a 08 F350. I need lower gears. Maybe we could work a trade? It would require a road trip. But it's cheaper than the 4 to 5 k for gears

Latest posts

Members online