6.7 synthetic oil?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I'll let you buy more oil if you really want too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxxedout

Reaction score
This one will be a 10k change...sort of. I changed the filter at 5k, drained about a quart, and took a sample. Didn't realize how much was in & above the filter. Had to put four quarts back in to top it off, so it was about 30% changed. Still bugging the crap outta me.

Extending my oil change intervals is the main reason I haven't made the switch to LE oil. I dump mine every 5K. Period. I don't even like to go 100 miles over lol. For there to be a cost savings, I'd have to run the LE oil to 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and it would drive me nuts knowing I'm running old oil.

On another note, I use LE fuel additive, and it's second to none. The truck runs noticeably better on the LE additive than anything else I've tried. I don't mean to derail this thread, but my point is that I have no doubts LE's oil is top notch.

Jomax

Reaction score
Extending my oil change intervals is the main reason I haven't made the switch to LE oil. I dump mine every 5K. Period. I don't even like to go 100 miles over lol. For there to be a cost savings, I'd have to run the LE oil to 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and it would drive me nuts knowing I'm running old oil.

On another note, I use LE fuel additive, and it's second to none. The truck runs noticeably better on the LE additive than anything else I've tried. I don't mean to derail this thread, but my point is that I have no doubts LE's oil is top notch.

Changing my oil all the time @5k was getting annoying is the reason I'm going to 10k.

jimdawg185

Reaction score

I will never spend a lot of time arguing against good maintenance practices. Far too many people don't maintain their equipment and then complain when it lets them down.
But, I'll say that many of the trucks, turbines, whatever... have had less wear in the analysis with twice the miles. And the oil in general looked better than the previous lubricant with half the time on it. That's why I believe it's a reasonably good practice when done correctly. The move to LE with extended drains generally cumulatively nets less wear. In general, but nearly always it's at worst equal.
97cdfe4ce919291cc0870fe616989131.jpg

This is a pretty typical change. The first report is T6 Rotella, the second is LE 8800. The T6 did a decent job at 20k mike PM. But look at the wear metals at 40k on 8800. Nearly Identical iron wear if you divide it per mile. And the most impressive point is fuel dilution. Twice the miles, 20% of the fuel dilution. And look at Copper, way down over 40k vs 20k. And that's 8800, which is mostly a mineral oil vs T6 which is a synthetic. My customer was sly, used a different lab with the same oil I sampled, his lab showed even better results than this. Switched his whole fleet over yesterday because of this test.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And this is a garbage truck, which has the exact same route every week. Same loads, same fuel, same driver. And it's beat on pretty good too.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I don't think you're being a smart ass. Your just like every one of my fleet managers the first time I meet them. You have a difficult job, and oil salesmen are slimy as ****. I'm aware of the pre bias against me before I step into every shop. I work my ass off to make them look good to their bosses. And when I do I earn their business. All my fleets get free bypass filtration, free damn Near everything to help offset the initial cost of the premium product. I loose money on most of my fleet deals in the first year because I know what I can do for my customers. They risk very little and I risk everything to prove myself and my product.

If you're ever interested in bypass or maybe a different analysis, let me know. I don't just sell oil to fleets, I help with top to bottom asset management.
And if you ever want to make that 25000 gallons 8000 gallons, I can do that too.

I appreciate your honesty. Keeping me on my toes for my daily customers is good for me.

I wish it was that simple to turn 25k into 8k gallons. Here's the irony and will make any man laugh when he here's the letters EPA.

THEY force us by "law" to change our oil regardless..... (add any comment you wish behind that statement) :cursing:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Another note.

Coca-Cola.... they did a HUGE case study on their fleet. Fun to read if anyone can still find the literature on what they did... regarding oil and engines.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I wish it was that simple to turn 25k into 8k gallons. Here's the irony and will make any man laugh when he here's the letters EPA.

THEY force us by "law" to change our oil regardless..... (add any comment you wish behind that statement) :cursing:

I'm aware, we lost Pioneer because of that. They used to be one of our largest customers. Half my company was at the regulatory meeting when it was ruled. We were saving Pioneer 8 million plus a year just in oil.
But, things are changing. I believe Pioneer and a few others are going back at the EPA. I know we will be there. I remember the VP of Chevron laughed at my VP of tech when he yelled "bull****" during the meeting. We lost 2% of our business right there. Pioneer was absolutely in love with what we were doing. Number one reason I'm voting for Trump or Gary Johnson. That's the absolute stupidest **** I've ever been apart of.

But, there are other ways to save money, just not the big dollars in extended drains... yet

FYI, Chevron and Mobil were behind that whole fiasco. They saw us taking massive chunks out their market and started using their political influence. Those companies make me sick to my stomach. We took Walmart away from Mobil a while back before Shell took it from them. When they made the switch, Mobil pulled all their products from Walmart shelves. Forced Walmart's hand. Then Shell took it away later anyway. They are a bunch of babies. I'd absolutely destroy them if the playing field was flat. They despise me in Michigan. And, I'm just ballsy enough to show up to the state and capital regulatory meetings to call their dumb asses out. And I do it in dirty jeans and work boots while those nancies wear suites that cost more than my truck. I'm actually being sued by two major distributors right now, just to take me to court. Not my fault they sell **** product and never call on their customers. I caught one Chevron distributor mixing hydraulic oil into Delo, so they could make more money. I hate cheaters. If this was 100 years ago, I'd make them pay in a different way. I'm getting all worked up.. damnit.

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm aware, we lost Pioneer because of that. They used to be one of our largest customers. Half my company was at the regulatory meeting when it was ruled. We were saving Pioneer 8 million plus a year just in oil.
But, things are changing. I believe Pioneer and a few others are going back at the EPA. I know we will be there. I remember the VP of Chevron laughed at my VP of tech when he yelled "bull****" during the meeting. We lost 2% of our business right there. Pioneer was absolutely in love with what we were doing. Number one reason I'm voting for Trump or Gary Johnson. That's the absolute stupidest **** I've ever been apart of.

But, there are other ways to save money, just not the big dollars in extended drains... yet

FYI, Chevron and Mobil were behind that whole fiasco. They saw us taking massive chunks out their market and started using their political influence. Those companies make me sick to my stomach. We took Walmart away from Mobil a while back before Shell took it from them. When they made the switch, Mobil pulled all their products from Walmart shelves. Forced Walmart's hand. Then Shell took it away later anyway. They are a bunch of babies. I'd absolutely destroy them if the playing field was flat. They despise me in Michigan. And, I'm just ballsy enough to show up to the state and capital regulatory meetings to call their dumb asses out. And I do it in dirty jeans and work boots while those nancies wear suites that cost more than my truck. I'm actually being sued by two major distributors right now, just to take me to court. Not my fault they sell **** product and never call on their customers. I caught one Chevron distributor mixing hydraulic oil into Delo, so they could make more money. I hate cheaters. If this was 100 years ago, I'd make them pay in a different way. I'm getting all worked up.. damnit.

The oil business is shady?:cursing:
I feel your pain, jim

Jomax

Reaction score
That sucks Jim. Sadly, a lot of companies operate like Mobil and shell.

The-Fett

Reaction score
I run 5-40 blue tech in the winter months and 5-40 amsoil in the summer

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The blue tech flows better @-20

What's their MRV cp at -35C? Or CCS at -30C?
Those are the two accepted tests for cold weather start, and MRV @ -25c. But for 5-40 it's the first two I mentioned.

The-Fett

Reaction score
For me it wasn't that scientific.....had a quart left from each let them sit out side @ -20 to -25 in the garage (garage didn't have heater) next morning opened both and started to pour. Same way i would pour at 60 outside. It took a bit longer for the amsoil to pour out. Like I said not scientific in the least. I figured I'm not going to risk my 60k truck for a few extra seconds.

I work in nd towards the Canadian border where it gets around -60's coldest I've been is -67 with wind chill and -45 without.

04cr450

Reaction score
You guys see any difference from running 10w-30 that ford recommends and the 5w-40 synthetic? I ran 5w40 delo in my 6.0 for years and the engine loved it. May just stick now with 10w30? Thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.