6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

Reaction score
Crank flex sounds made up
5003_822_zpsqbk6hg8_edit_1425523566818_zpsso8wngsj.jpg

You don't think there was some excessive cylinder pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default15405

Reaction score
How would adding main studs make the block structurally stronger? Your not adding material to the block. In fact it puts more stress on the block, and distorts the main bores.

I don't have enough experience to go off of so bear with me I'm just picking your brain here. I get that no material is being added but it seems that adding a larger, higher quality stud in every sense would make a bottom end a bit more rigid and at the very least allow the bottom end to handle full load longer before it blows. And I assumed that if they had the engine out of the truck it wouldn't be a big deal to get it align honed with the studs getting rid of the distortion.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I don't have enough experience to go off of so bear with me I'm just picking your brain here. I get that no material is being added but it seems that adding a larger, higher quality stud in every sense would make a bottom end a bit more rigid and at the very least allow the bottom end to handle full load longer before it blows. And I assumed that if they had the engine out of the truck it wouldn't be a big deal to get it align honed with the studs getting rid of the distortion.
It's a play on words. Studs will make the "bottom end" stronger, but they won't make the "block" stronger.

Studs are needed when bolts are not strong enough, and stretch. This goes for any bolts in the motor. If they are not stretching bolts, the bolts aren't failing. If a bolt (or any part) isn't failing, putting a stronger one in its place isn't going to make a difference.

Wayne

Reaction score
what other force could do such a thing ? the crank sure as hell has nothing to do with that.
:lookaround:
OR_85.jpg

LOL that wasn't it. I think this is something better left to speculation. Odds are somebody will nail it within 10 guesses or less, but I won't be the one to confirm specifically.

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
SDS97-7.3: It's a matter of finger pointing that I simply want to avoid. People seem to be so sensitive these days, and I hate to walk on eggshells, so I choose to avoid that discussion entirely. Too much flinging of poo in this thread anyway. Suffice it to say had we been aware, the problem would have been avoidable when it blew up at dpc and when I was doing the "break in". It's also something unique to this truck that I don't see happening again for Dan, or anyone else for that matter. Rest easy my friend. You're more likely to find John Wayne in a gay bar than see this scenario again.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
SDS97-7.3: It's a matter of finger pointing that I simply want to avoid. People seem to be so sensitive these days, and I hate to walk on eggshells, so I choose to avoid that discussion entirely. Too much flinging of poo in this thread anyway. Suffice it to say had we been aware, the problem would have been avoidable when it blew up at dpc and when I was doing the "break in". It's also something unique to this truck that I don't see happening again for Dan, or anyone else for that matter. Rest easy my friend. You're more likely to find John Wayne in a gay bar than see this scenario again.

The only things in common with this motor and the one at dpc are the source of the engine and maybe tuning. Right?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
High drive pressure is usually a result of poor tuning or a serious exhaust restriction whether its the turbos or something blocking exhaust flow. My guess is exhaust restriction as he said its a very odd issue...

packin45

Reaction score
High drive pressure is usually a result of poor tuning or a serious exhaust restriction whether its the turbos or something blocking exhaust flow. My guess is exhaust restriction as he said its a very odd issue...

Couldn't have anything to do with that bedside tail pipe could it?

Sent from my iPhone

97stoker350

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud but high cylinder pressure puts a lot of strain on the bottom end components. So if the crank isn't flexing and the rods aren't bent that leaves one thing... Rod bearings

Latest posts

Members online