6.7L Carnage - Testing the limits

01PSD

Reaction score
So turns out H&S still has the stock 6R140 in the truck and it's still running strong. Driven daily at 600-650 HP

3brorce

Reaction score
Seen them getting a LP on that 6.7 rig. Wonder when they are going to actually break her lol.

highdrum

Reaction score
LoL, yeah they do and I think mostly for the same reasons. Cummins never had that issue till they decided to put all the crap on these motors.

The reason the cummins pops head gaskets is due to the extremely high drive pressures made by the stock VGT turbos/manifolds and high fueling tuners. Fortunately you can still see the ground on both sides of the motor on the cummins and is really easy to work on, I own 3 6.7s currently, two of them being dodges. I've lost one head gasket due to getting on it too hard when the motor was cold a few winters back with the stock turbo.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The reason the cummins pops head gaskets is due to the extremely high drive pressures made by the stock VGT turbos/manifolds and high fueling tuners. Fortunately you can still see the ground on both sides of the motor on the cummins and is really easy to work on, I own 3 6.7s currently, two of them being dodges. I've lost one head gasket due to getting on it too hard when the motor was cold a few winters back with the stock turbo.

Well its a lot of reasons really not just one, I've had ones in here that had busted EGR coolers letting coolant into the motor, ones where the VGT sensor malfunctioned and the vanes closed causing BP to go through the roof, ones where the head warped from overheating ( partly due to the 200* thermostat, hot Texas weather and that its was a beaten on tow truck ). I've personally done a bunch of stud jobs on the 6.7 Cummins, its one of the more popular trucks that comes through here. They are the 6.0 of the Cummins world, but just like the 6.0 they can be "bullet proofed" if you will.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Well its a lot of reasons really not just one, I've had ones in here that had busted EGR coolers letting coolant into the motor, ones where the VGT sensor malfunctioned and the vanes closed causing BP to go through the roof, ones where the head warped from overheating ( partly due to the 200* thermostat, hot Texas weather and that its was a beaten on tow truck ). I've personally done a bunch of stud jobs on the 6.7 Cummins, its one of the more popular trucks that comes through here. They are the 6.0 of the Cummins world, but just like the 6.0 they can be "bullet proofed" if you will.

You're spot on, mine was awesome all stock with just a race tune. I beat the piss out of it, but only when it was up to full operating temp and therefore I never had an issue. I will say this, I do love the smooth power that the 6.7L CumminGs offers, specially with a large single. My truck with dual fuelers and a 472 is super responsive which is awesome. They are just like any other diesel, they can be made into something awesome with a little work. I'm a huge 6.0 fan for this reason, I love rooting for the underdog!

highdrum

Reaction score
You're spot on, mine was awesome all stock with just a race tune. I beat the piss out of it, but only when it was up to full operating temp and therefore I never had an issue. I will say this, I do love the smooth power that the 6.7L CumminGs offers, specially with a large single. My truck with dual fuelers and a 472 is super responsive which is awesome. They are just like any other diesel, they can be made into something awesome with a little work. I'm a huge 6.0 fan for this reason, I love rooting for the underdog!

I do recall you from the cummins forum, I don't frequent that site much anymore, but I do recall your truck build. I have since moved onto a build with an oval shaped badge, but I still have my inline 6 sitting in the drive way, super expensive driveway ornament!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

They do drive a big single with ease, we've done a few and they all run real strong even on low power settings. Just wish they have a transmission worth a damn backing it up.

3brorce

Reaction score
They do drive a big single with ease, we've done a few and they all run real strong even on low power settings. Just wish they have a transmission worth a damn backing it up.

Swap to a 48 or a 4r, will be just fine.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
I do recall you from the cummins forum, I don't frequent that site much anymore, but I do recall your truck build. I have since moved onto a build with an oval shaped badge, but I still have my inline 6 sitting in the drive way, super expensive driveway ornament!

Thanks, I thought your username looked familiar! I really love my Blue Oval as well, and honestly, had I not purchased my Cummins so cheap I would have built a 6.4L ECSB.

We have a local customer doing just that, his built 68RE just wasn't cutting it.

My built 68 is doing great for me on the dyno, but at the track it's an entirely different story. Having that tall 6th gear to help load things up on the dyno has proven to be really helpful this season. I would have loved to gone to a 48/4r100 but it just wasn't in the cards at the time.

3brorce

Reaction score
My built 68 is doing great for me on the dyno, but at the track it's an entirely different story. Having that tall 6th gear to help load things up on the dyno has proven to be really helpful this season. I would have loved to gone to a 48/4r100 but it just wasn't in the cards at the time.

Does it even get to 6th before the end of the 1/4? lol. Probably right at the traps she hits 6th or lockup.

highdrum

Reaction score
my '11 ram has quite a few mods, hit 677 hp on ATS dyno, also running one of their stage IV 68RFEs and an Aurora 5000 71mm turbo. The HUGE difference I am seeing between the ford and ram is the interior comfort, my ram is a laramie with all the bells, but my lariat ultimate is FAR more comfortable. Seats are better than the '11 Denali Dmax HD I had a few years back.

Latest posts

Members online