600 hp engine rebuild

Arisley

Reaction score
I broke out at 13.2 in a quarter in my dually. I was standing on the brakes for the last 300 feet trying not to break out. I trapped at 73 MPH. You figure the HP.

I have a bone stock bottom end, some home built 250\200 injectors and a H2E turbo. H11 studs and some 911 springs. A early edition Adrenaline HPOP. A home built regulated return fuel system. Stock trans with a home modified valve body. A rear end that has the plates restacked. And tuned by Tony Wildman. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, a 2001 cup holder. All done in my driveway. By me.

Tony is the man. I don't think I have ever heard his name associated with a windowed 7.3. The only thing I have ever heard his name associated with is an awesome family and fast 7.3's.

If you want real power in a 7.3, you better do all those things said to your truck. For the OP. Change your turbo. Drive it easy until you seat your head gaskets (double what most people tell you unless you like changing headgaskets), and get you some tuning that smokes a bit if you get into it hard.

I did the first HP mod to my truck at 200K. I did the majority of them at 240K. My truck now has 365K on it. It has been sitting for a year to what I thought was a blown Transmission (I been expecting it and just assumed) I have another blown up flexplate YAY me.

BTW, lots of people on this forum, saw that run.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
is riffraff local to Canada? I dont have any 'good guy' pricing listed, all full retail, as I am a nobody

you forgot the $10000 block from hypermax in your waste of $$ list

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
is riffraff local to Canada? I dont have any 'good guy' pricing listed, all full retail, as I am a nobody

you forgot the $10000 block from hypermax in your waste of $$ list

I was not even aware that riffraff offers any kind of delipped services? And having a good local machineshop is sometimes hard to come by. Like my current location... Grand Junction Colorado, ummmmm. I wouldn't trust a machineshop here to do anything. The town I grew up in? LOL, same thing. You can't even find a good TIG welder. Let alone a good machine shop.

And I don't know if it's really worth it or not. I can't find any real outside data on them.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
To me, you really sound like somebody that has simply regurgitated everything you have ever heard on any forum into your build.

TyCorr

Reaction score
How? All I see on this forum is alot of name calling and guys stuck in the mid 2000s when it comes to the 7.3.

Lets just all go off this as if it's the bible because that's pretty much how you guys like to think.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1111dp-21-dyno-proven-power-combinations/

They stopped making them in the early 00s.

I hate to rip your butthloe to shreds but the r&d and envelope pushing on these is done. Its over. Nobody is buying 10k dollar blocks or oaying someone 25k to "go all out" on a motor.

Can people build motors? Sure, I don't see why not. If you want to do something bad enough you can.

If they arent rusted out, they're leaked out. I tend to question the true joy of "building" a 7.3. See a few guys do big builds and after a year the "oh ***k it" comes out.

My take on these trucks is no matter what you do, you're spending $$ on a worktruck. A glorified tow mule. Or something you oark behind a barn and drag a crappy transfer sled at the local fair.

Use a good fr block, put some injectors in it, throw an oil pump on it, setup a rr fuel system and get excited when a 500+ hp truck will scrub the tires at 35....

Game over...end of story...the reliability legend of these is starting to show its age. Most contracts for control sensors were released 4 years ago which means even at Ford you get cheese dikk sensors. Tie off the loose ends, drive it into the ground.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

I hate to rip your butthloe to shreds but the r&d and envelope pushing on these is done. Its over. Nobody is buying 10k dollar blocks or oaying someone 25k to "go all out" on a motor.

Can people build motors? Sure, I don't see why not. If you want to do something bad enough you can.

If they arent rusted out, they're leaked out. I tend to question the true joy of "building" a 7.3. See a few guys do big builds and after a year the "oh ***k it" comes out.

My take on these trucks is no matter what you do, you're spending $$ on a worktruck. A glorified tow mule. Or something you oark behind a barn and drag a crappy transfer sled at the local fair.

Use a good fr block, put some injectors in it, throw an oil pump on it, setup a rr fuel system and get excited when a 500+ hp truck will scrub the tires at 35....

Game over...end of story...the reliability legend of these is starting to show its age. Most contracts for control sensors were released 4 years ago which means even at Ford you get cheese dikk sensors. Tie off the loose ends, drive it into the ground.
thats actually a pretty good post... but i resent the transfer sled comment. lol

live life full throttle

bruce

Reaction score
How? All I see on this forum is alot of name calling and guys stuck in the mid 2000s when it comes to the 7.3.

Lets just all go off this as if it's the bible because that's pretty much how you guys like to think.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1111dp-21-dyno-proven-power-combinations/

So I just assume you're working on something revolutionary for the 7.3 world. Hell I guess swamps should just step aside and let little buddy brett here be the world wide resource for 7.3's. I had less money in my 600+ horse set up than you do in your current setup. Should have read a few more forums before writin the check for your current 425 horse setup.

Jomax

Reaction score
I think the guys at the Org. Are just behind on technology advancement.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

02BigD

Reaction score

Really good post dude. Just to throw some stuff back from my perspective.

I feel more comfortable, after all the discussions with various engine builders over the last 3 or 4 years, with my 600hp 7.3 than I would a 6.4 or 6.7. Are the commonrails the chit for power, yes. Clearly. But both of the 6.4 and 6.7 have concerns that a little part can fail and cause the loss of the investment in that engine. You clearly talk with people in the industry, you've heard the stories, heck they are posted here for all to see if one digs enough.

Will I own a 6.7? Yes, looking for exactly what I want. Having trouble deciding SRW or DRW as needs are changing. Will it be modded? Get rid of the naughty stuff and call it a day. That's for me, someone who trusts the $20k investment under the hood of the old work truck more than plastic parts in an new engine.

There are a lot of good looking OBS and 99-03 7.3 running around in the south. I see from all the posts that you guys are really hit hard with rust up there, but that simply isn't the same elsewhere.

"Mule", "parking it behind the shed"...you can pound sand :poke:

thats actually a pretty good post... but i resent the transfer sled comment. lol

live life full throttle

No, you resemble it.

Clearly!

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
why ya both gotta be so mean? lol i know, i know, its true though..
No, you resemble it.

I feel more comfortable, after all the discussions with various engine builders over the last 3 or 4 years, with my 600hp 7.3 than I would a 6.4 or 6.7. Are the commonrails the chit for power, yes. Clearly. But both of the 6.4 and 6.7 have concerns that a little part can fail and cause the loss of the investment in that engine.

Will I own a 6.7? Yes, looking for exactly what I want. Having trouble deciding SRW or DRW as needs are changing. Will it be modded? Get rid of the naughty stuff and call it a day. That's for me, someone who trusts the $20k investment under the hood of the old work truck more than plastic parts in an new engine.

There are a lot of good looking OBS and 99-03 7.3 running around in the south. I see from all the posts that you guys are really hit hard with rust up there, but that simply isn't the same elsewhere.

"Mule", "parking it behind the shed"...you can pound sand oke:

Clearly!

sad part is, i have enough into my dually that i could have paid cash for my 6.7 and make it a 600hp ride after this second motor build.. and it's still a whopping 450hp motor..
live life full throttle

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Dude, you guys got me all wrong! I love mine but after trying four cps the last time before i got one to work was eye opening. Its just becoming a gamble to find sensors and such to keep everything kosher.

Im still planning to do the full overhaul of mine involving new body and paint. Hashing the details of that out. Even that is turning into $$$ that im kinda second guessing. If I fixed (hid) the rust and did the bodyliner rocker job just to trade it in, i was already told my dealer would give me around 10k for it. Its tempting.

I need a truck. A 7.3 is just fine for pulling what I need to. But if it gives me any bs over sensors or electronics it can become some kids smokethrower...

My commitment is waning. A 6.7 psd or ctd with an 8' bed would probably last me the rest of my days. Id do whatever for the overall health of the intended longhaul but no desire for power. Turn the key.

Ive had several dmaxes. Good functionally but my backpain was attributed to the seats being made for dwarfs.

6.7 psd. Good quiet. My dads first one was awesome. Used it a fair amount. His 15 i was only in twice. Drove it once. Both nice trucks.

My dad has a 15 ctd now and its nice. Its probably the nicest stock truck Ive ever seen. And quiet.

Im gonna stick with forged rod motors, studs, and hope the electronics don't crap out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ipr..never gad trouble in my life...last couple after a few thousand miles they "stick" durung idle. They get around 10% duty cycle and you can watch it fluctuate and after it idles a few minutes the ipr will stop naking minute adjustments. It'll hit 10% and stay there idle getting rough. Blip the throttle, a few minutes of constantly adjusting idle and then back to sruck at 10.9% or whatever.

JMart

Reaction score
This thread is cracking me up. I really like the part about not being able to build anything in an apartment. I built my reg cab short bed 7.3 while living in an apartment. Cut the frame, lowered the truck, shaved the body and painted the entire truck in an apartment. But I am just one more of those guys who spews out the info I read on the forums without doing anything myself.

brettboat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
This thread is cracking me up. I really like the part about not being able to build anything in an apartment. I built my reg cab short bed 7.3 while living in an apartment. Cut the frame, lowered the truck, shaved the body and painted the entire truck in an apartment. But I am just one more of those guys who spews out the info I read on the forums without doing anything myself.

More power to you dude. I can't do it, no way.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score

My take on these trucks is no matter what you do, you're spending $$ on a worktruck. A glorified tow mule. Or something you park behind a barn and drag a crappy transfer sled at the local fair.

Im still planning to do the full overhaul of mine involving new body and paint. Hashing the details of that out. Even that is turning into $$$ that im kinda second guessing.
My commitment is waning. A 6.7 psd or ctd with an 8' bed would probably last me the rest of my days. Id do whatever for the overall health of the intended longhaul but no desire for power. Turn the key.

Wow this isn't depressing or anything.... But true spend money on a worn-out 1999 Farm Truck or spend the same on a newer rig that comes stock with the horses I can achieve. Sad.

Members online

No members online now.