7.3 connecting rod help

EDP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Carillo and R&R is all we use. Both are a great choice. We have both of them in stock

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Thats just retarded... You can buy the best set of rods for an 800hp sbc latemodel dirt car for $600. Yet rods made of the same material are 4 times that for a 7.3...

Doesn't make sense to me.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Thats just retarded... You can buy the best set of rods for an 800hp sbc latemodel dirt car for $600. Yet rods made of the same material are 4 times that for a 7.3...

Doesn't make sense to me.

Think of how many they make for those cars vs for a 7.3, they can drop the price for the quantity produced

neverkickn

Reaction score
Think of how many they make for those cars vs for a 7.3, they can drop the price for the quantity produced

True, but I think it has more to do with supply and demand than production costs. I just dont see there being any changeover time or specialized equipment involved in doing a production run of 7.3 rods out of the same material that is being used for a more popular engine.

What I mean is shouldn't the machinist be able to produce a batch of billet rods for a 327 and then load another program, stick some more material in and crank out a batch of 7.3 rods.

I am probably missing something as usual, and I don't know how valuable the machine run time is but I don't think the price has as much to do with hard cost as it does potential buyers.

01 7.3 dwm lll

Reaction score
So this is what the web page that I bought the rods from says 7.3 FORGED CONNECTING ROD THAT BEEN HOT TANKED , DEBURED, MACHINED , HEAT TREATED AND SHOT PEENED THESE RODS ARE 50% STRONGER THAN FORGED CONNECTING RODS.THESE ROD WILL HOLD 600+...should I trust them to 600+ or above?

imelmo

Reaction score
So this is what the web page that I bought the rods from says 7.3 FORGED CONNECTING ROD THAT BEEN HOT TANKED , DEBURED, MACHINED , HEAT TREATED AND SHOT PEENED THESE RODS ARE 50% STRONGER THAN FORGED CONNECTING RODS.THESE ROD WILL HOLD 600+...should I trust them to 600+ or above?

Anyone can write anything on a website. Re-read the posts. You'd be taking a chance unless they're willing to warranty a new motor for you if they go out at that hp level. They COULD hold, but they could go out too.

Fwiw, I used to spray my old truck with stock forged rods into the 600-650hp range and never had an issue. At least not 'til I brought it up to the 750hp range. LOL But that's not to say mine couldn't have gone out at the 600hp range. I just got lucky. With tuning advances it is a little more likely now though.

Imo however, if you can't afford to replace the engine then save some more and get billets or keep the hp at 500 or lower. Then you shouldn't have to worry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.