7.3 dies @ idle and wont restart

nasty6.6

Reaction score
Ok guys my 7.3 has an issue when idling for longer then 5 to 10 minutes it begins to miss and then shuts off, when you go to restart it just cranks but if i bleed the fuel system at the filter housing under the hood and crank it will start right up and run. As long as i run the truck highway or in town its fine but if i leave it running for any length of time it dies and cycle restarts from beginning.
it isnt consistent and sounds like i'm getting air in the fuel system. Has anyone else had similar issues?
truck is mostly stock you could say just light bolt ons like 38r, intake, exhaust, gauges, all the regular mess BUT no tuner as of now.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I would do a check on the injector/ sealing washers first.

A easy way to test is to disconnect both fuel lines that feed the heads at the filter housing. Tie a balloon or latex glove around both and have an assistant crank the engine. The side that inflates the balloon is the problem bank. Once you have narrowed it down to a particular bank, remove the glow plugs one by one and re-test each time. When the balloon stops inflating you have found the problem cylinder. Remove that injector and if no visual problems are found its likely that the injector is bad.

Oh, and be sure either disconnected the fuel pump if you plan on cranking the engine using the key - or just jump the starter relay and leave everything connected (key off).

Latest posts

Members online